100 day Journey to Easter

We have not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you are have any health related symptoms or concerns, you should contact your doctor who will be able to give you advice specific to your situation.

• posted by wendleg
    on

Hi Stevoka…thanks for your insight into supplements etc.
    I just wanted to say for anyone interested in.the Lara Briden book you recommended, it’s currently 99p on Kindle Amazon UK. It might be a bit late for me at 63 but I’m always interested in how to maintain good health getting older ! So I will get a copy !
    All the best to everyone on the bus !

• posted by Californiagirl
    on

“Wet lettuce days” 🤣🤣🤣 — that should go down in the BSD “manual” like “carb monster”!

Regarding supplements — I take some vitamin C if I’m not eating citrus, although right now citrus is amazing and I cannot say “no” — most days I eat a mandarin or satsuma or orange (I know, carbs, but SO SO worth it — I am a citrus monster — I even like to eat the skin of navel oranges)

I also take kelp off and on (a week or two at a time every two months or so) to support thyroid function (it’s a source of iodine)— unless we are getting shellfish regularly in which case I skip it. We don’t eat the regular, awful U.S. salt which is iodized so don’t otherwise have a regular source of iodine except seafood. I fell in love with French (and Welsh) grey salts years ago and now our commercial salt tastes disgusting! We order giant bags online. And I gave all my friends bags of French grey salt for Christmas but they looked at me funny 🤣🤣

I don’t need Vit D here in the west/southwest but I did take it while we lived in England. From what I have read, It is definitely critically important, along with zinc, for Covid avoidance/good outcome. I keep zinc in the drawer in case of catching a cold/Covid so I can quickly supplement (it’s my lucky rabbits foot)

Otherwise my favorite supplement is heavy cream in my coffee….🤣🤣

• posted by Yowzer49
    on

Howdy bus dwelling buddies! Can’t remember what everyone’s written without going back a page,and maybe losing my place here,but thinking of you all and cheering you on xxx
    CALIFORNIAGIRL,that’s what I forgot to mention…good old zinc,deffo worth having in your health toolbox!X
    Hi WENDLEG,lovely to see you ( waves!) X
    I’m still struggling today but keeping to the straight and narrow. My Carb Monster’s hiding around the corner,one foot stuck out,ready to trip me up when I wander into the kitchen. Luckily there’s nothing “ naughty” left in my kitchen ..I’ve eaten it all! 😁 and I have a very spartan grocery delivery later on,so I can’t do too much damage! * sigh* …
    I know what the problem is..I know several people having a belated Xmas this weekend ( due to covid at actual Xmas)
    So I sort of still have that festive “eat,drink,be merry,open presents” vibe going on…
    Keep smiling BSD peeps and hold on tight as we whizz round bends and up and downhill! Bruuum Bruuuum!
    And remember this ..What you eat in private,you wear in public..ain’t that the truth ! 🙄 😢 xxx

• posted by ClarinetCathy
    on

Hello everyone

Been good today! Felt so bad about letting myself down yesterday. I don’t feel as if I’ve lost any weight this week but I will weigh myself tomorrow and hope for a better result next week. I’ve just had some roasted vegetables and falafel for my evening meal. I’m not doing keto at the moment as I found it too restrictive and I think I need to start with low carb and fasting and then go onto keto in a few weeks.

I’ve enjoyed reading about what supplements you are taking, I only take effervescent vitamin c 1000 mg as a drink with my evening meal and calcium and vitamin D tablets for my osteoporosis (still waiting to be seen by the rheumatologist for an infusion as I couldn’t tolerate the Alendronic Acid my GP prescribed).

Hope to be able to report a small loss tomorrow but that pesky mince pie and those pesky chocolates I ate yesterday will weigh heavy tomorrow!

• posted by ADD6605
    on

Hi all,well I’m struggling to keep on the straight and narrow this week,even with all of my days planned on MFP!Going to really give it my all tomorrow as my carb cravings are never going to leave if I don’t knuckle down.Yowzer stand by with wet lettuces please! Dawn X

on

Hello everyone
    A total loss of 0.4 lb this morning! Disappointing but expected! Serves me right! Must try harder!
    Another week ahead to begin again. Plan for this week is to stay on track and not to eat things that will scupper my hard work. A moment on the lips – a lifetime on the hips! Who remembers that old chestnut! I really do find it difficult to lose weight when I stay on track so what was I expecting! Another wasted week for me so lessons learned.

Dawn- keep at it – Yowser has run out of wet lettuces this week giving us all a swipe!
    California Girl – I loved cream in my coffee and stopped it last year when my cholesterol was high. I am going to buy some and give myself a little treat- coffee and cream is absolutely fantastic!

Keep going everyone. Let’s see if we can make a difference this week. I am going to aim to lose 1.5 lb by next Friday.

• posted by JGwen
    on

Hi guys,

I am having a good week, I have got back into the rhythm,. I have fallen back into a pattern of “dirty” fasting, the occasional coffee with cream as well as soda water. Some of the water retention has eased. my clothes including my socks and shoes are more comfortable and I am feeling more mentally alive. I am back to eating OMAD and thats keto. I have the metallic taste in my mouth but don’t have the lung capacity back yet to use the breathalyser to check on levels. Or rather trying sets me off coughing and I have had enough coughing for a while.

I am still needing to rest after relatively small amounts of work. but I would guess I am back to about working at half the normal pace. I am not falling asleep on the settee during the day, and am mentally more alive, but still run out of steam with physical jobs. Just carrying a bale of hay out to the horses exhausts my energy reserves and I need to rest for a few minutes. But at least with the mild winter its only one bale needed by the herd each day. Normally at this time of year it would be 3 bales a day.

• posted by Stevoka
    on

Sorry to hear you’re still struggling jgwen. I hope that all this healthy eating aids your recovery.

I’m interested by the OMAD. Do you eat pretty much what you want then? I don’t mean the really naughty stuff but like carbs, fat etc. What does your OMAD look like?

I’m noticing now that I’ve dramatically reduced the carbs I’m not hungry anywhere near as early in the day so thinking of trying to start eating later. I got to an 18 hour fast the other day with little bother.

We’re teaching online at the moment which means less movement and more being in my kitchen which isn’t handy but so far so good. My brother when he lost a ton of weight did it by imagining a little door man in his mouth and then he had a list of foods that were allowed in and a list of foods that weren’t. Apparently the visualisation worked really well and I’m keeping that image in mind especially when I’m surrounded by yummy things 😀

• posted by LindaandHubby
    on

Hi All,
    Forgot to wish everyone a Happy New Year when I sneaked on before really boarding the bus, shame on me! Well a Happy New Year to everyone & great news today that the Omicron wave seems to be rapidly diminishing. What a glorious day to joining the bus trip too with wall to wall blue skies & sunshine here despite being a little nippy.

Our Christmas binges went on from November until a couple of days back & boy did we binge! Shame on us! The Christmas bus was a fail for us, despite initial good behaviour we managed to both put weight on. OK just 7-8lb each BUT it could have been a LOT worse. Now we’re ready to take back control, stick religiously to the diet & hopefully to lose all we’ve accumulated and much more – fingers crossed. Please fell free to whack both of us with wet lettuce leaves Yowser whenever you feel like it.

Supplies of the good stuff are in, more coming today – let’s hope our delivery has all the goods this time. I think we’re going to keep primarily with the BSD although we’re going to up the 20 carbs we tried to religiously keep to initially, probably to under 50 & to eat a little more protein. I’m not going to count calories or to weigh the food we eat religiously. Yeah, we both know we’re probably piling our plates too high with veggies BUT not going to worry about that unless we don’t start losing. Macros – can’t be arsed dealing with those at the moment, sorry! Read Dr Mosley’s book but gained little from it, except maybe to realise we need to start & stay on this WOE – We thoroughly enjoy this way of eating so why come off it? The carb monster has finally been kicked out the door.

Gotta go get ready for the delivery & to prepare our 1st meal of chicken tikka curry over lovely cauliflower & broccolli. Tonight we are having the 2nd part of our lovely veggie soup. YAY! It’s SO good to be back on the bus.

Take care all, keep on keeping off. Linda & Hubby XXXX

• posted by JGwen
    on

Hi Stevoka
    I have something like a spanish omelette or veg cooked in the microwave with a layer of cheese, or stuffed mushrooms using cream cheese. The longer you have between insulin responses the better.

The bacteria which feed off sugar are able to signal to your brain that they want feeding. They are able to multiply rapidly in response to a meal. The best way to reduce the urge to eat is to reduce their numbers by not feeding them.

• posted by SueBlue
    on

Morning all, weigh in update from me, I’m down 700g this week, or 1.5lb. I’m pretty happy with that considering the week I’ve had. Turned out to be more of a Stage 2 week (5:2) rather than a strict Stage 1, but at least the scales are moving in the right direction. I was a whole 1/2kg less earlier in the week, going down to 88.6kg which is the lowest weight I’ve been for 15 years at least I’d say, but I regained some of the loss in the latter part of the week. I’m thinking of just weighing weekly to avoid seeing the fluctuations!

I’ve enjoyed reading everyone’s posts this week. JGwen thanks for your helpful insights and glad to hear you are feeling a bit better.
    Cathy – well done on your loss, it may not have been as much as you wanted but a loss is a loss 🙂
    Stevoka – I loved the doorman visualisation you describe! Definitely going to try this.
    Mariet – one way increase my protein is having Greek yoghurt. There’s a lovely one I buy from Woolies – it’s called Evia Greek yoghurt and a 100g serve has 6g of protein from memory. It’s so thick and creamy, I have it with berries for breakfast And dollop it on curry and chilli too, or have a spoonful when I’m feeling hungry after a meal still.
    Linda & Hubby it’s good to have you back on board and hearing that you are back into BSD again.
    Dawn, DCT and everyone else I haven’t mentioned here, thanks for your posts, it’s good to have so many fellow travellers on this journey and to read about your experiences – it makes me realise it doesn’t matter where we are in the world we all share similar experiences and ups and downs.

Hope everyone has a lovely weekend!
    I’m going to be busy (at home) as have some admin tasks to do, as well as the usual housework and helping MIL, but I’m going to set aside time to meal plan and do some prepping for next week I’ll be making a mix of my favourite BSD meals and some from the new book, I’ll have to base meals on the foods I was able to get in my online order, and my pantry store, as I’m staying away from the shops while our Covid case numbers are so high.

• posted by Yowzer49
    on

SUEBLUE I envy you having Woollies! They closed down in Uk several years ago and I still miss them! X
    STEVOKA i love the doorman visualisation too! X

• posted by SueBlue
    on

Yowzer our Woolies here (Woolworths) is a grocery chain, I guess like your Tesco etc in UK. From memory (and I’m talking 21 years since I last visited the UK), Woolworths in the UK was a variety store, I remember buying clothes and toys in there anyway 🙂
    I didn’t realise they weren’t around anymore over there.

• posted by Jennie10
    on

Happy New Year everyone. It’s lovely to see so many of us travelling on the Easter bus (horse and all!).
    Well, I’m late as ever, but now our son’s gone back to London, the Christmas table is cleared and I’m ready for action.
    My Hba1c results (I have Type II diabetes) are still good and my weight is close to goal again (I’m 9st 7lbs – few lbs on over Christmas). So, on paper all that looks great – and it is, hurrah!
    But, as an old yo-yo dieter, I do find it challenging to maintain my weight within a good range over time. As soon as I stop weighing my food my portions slowly get bigger and bigger. Also, while I still eat low-carb, I tend to eat the same thing over and over… and then I get bored with my food! (Who’d have guessed!?!). Finally, over the last 12-18 months my activity and exercise routines have been stuttering on and off.

I’m determined, in 2022, to properly get back to the place where I was at my best on this way of life; good health indicators, shiny hair, slim ankles and compliments on my skin (never happened before even in my youngest days).What’s not to love.
    So, my plan for our Easter trip is to go back to basics. I do like a target for motivation so I’m going to think about those today. I’ll be on tomorrow to post them, and properly catch up with everyone’s posts.
    Hope everyone is having a good weekend.

Jennie xx
    NB Yowzer, SueBlue – I remember on Christmas Eve afternoons as a 9/10/11 year old sneaking off to Woollies to buy my Mum and Dad’s Christmas presents (ties, socks, bath cubes, hankies, mix-up bags of sweets). It was always exciting, often filled with men and alcohol fumes. A lovely abiding image of childhood Christmas for me.

• posted by Stevoka
    on

That’s amazing Jgwen. The weight must be falling off you. I think I have a way to go for that discipline. Am definitely prioritising the length of the fast more than I usually would after reading into some of the things you’ve shared.

And you’re totally right that the more you fast and stick to low carb, the less you get hungry/get cravings.

• posted by Stevoka
    on

That’s amazing Jgwen. The weight must be falling off you. I think I have a way to go for that discipline. Am definitely prioritising the length of the fast more than I usually would after reading into some of the things you’ve shared.

And you’re totally right that the more you fast and stick to low carb, the less you get hungry/get cravings.

• posted by Stevoka
    on

I still don’t have any scales but hoping to pick some up this weekend but measurements showed 1.5 inch loss off my waist this week so I’m happy with that start.

Now each time I’ve started on low carb/keto my stomach takes a few days to adjust and I get constipated despite drinking lots of water etc. I’m finding it’s lasting longer this time. Not that I haven’t been at all but it’s not like usual and I can tell it’s not as much as I need to. Sorry for the details 😆 Anyone else having the same issue? Any suggestions? Or shall I just keep plugging away?

• posted by SueBlue
    on

Happy Monday all 🙂

How is everyone going? It’s the start of week 3 for me and I’m aiming to be more disciplined than I was last week! It wasn’t a total write off or anything but I only stuck to the plan for 4 days instead of 7, so aiming for at least 5 or 6 on plan days this week.

Today I had to take MIL to some medical appointments so was busy all day. I was so tired when I got home so had a shower then a nap! Hadn’t meant to fall asleep, I was listening to my ‘Lose Weight’ meditation track and dozed off. But I must have needed it and felt full of beans afterwards so have spent the last few hours meal prepping and cooking. I made some more black bean chilli, but used kidney beans instead as I had run out of black beans. This recipe from the new book is SO easy! It’s literally opening a couple of cans and chopping and cooking onion, capsicum, mushroom and garlic. And it’s so tasty! My daughter had some for dinner tonight, she made it into sweet potato nachos with guacamole. I also roasted some left over pumpkin and then a couple of trays of roasted Mediterranean veg – eggplant, zuccHindi, capsicum, mushroom, tomato, garlic, tomatoes and herbs. I used some of this for pizza toppings and then the rest will be used in salads and/or bolognaise later this week. So for dinner I had a pizza made with pita bread – I hadn’t had breakfast this morning and for my (late) lunch I made a ham and spinach omelette which I really enjoyed as I was so hungry!
    Usually MIL and I will stop at a cafe and have a coffee and a bite to eat, but I’m not comfortable doing that at the moment. Everywhere I go lately I receive a Covid case alert, even after just 1 minute in the post office last week.

I’m going to finish in the kitchen soon, just want to boil some eggs for snacks and make some Bircher for breakfast tomorrow. I had wanted to make some more Keto pancakes (from new book) but will leave that For another day – if anyone’s interested in them they are great – really filling for the 185 or so calories (even though the serving looks small) and they freeze really well, and only take 30 seconds to reheat in the microwave.

Stevoka – well done on your inches loss, the waist and tummy area is where I really need to lose inches. As for the problem you are having, I’ve read that chia seeds can help, and also psyllium. I take a magnesium tablet every night and that makes a difference – I’m taking it for joint and muscle support, but it has the added benefit of assisting with sleep and also regularity – both have improved for me since I started taking them anyway, so maybe worth a try?

I didn’t go for a walk as such today, well I did with MIL as her appointments were within walking distance but we literally walk at snails pace, so it doesn’t feel like exercise (she’s in her 80s and not so steady on her feet, but flatly refuses to use a walking stick or walker). Tomorrow I’m getting up at 6.30am so I can fit in a brisk walk before work – it’s much cooler and not nearly as humid at that time of the morning as it is later in the day.

Hope everyone has a good week!

• posted by Dreamscometrue
    on

Hi everyone and welcome to another week. If – like me – you’ve not got off to the best of starts the good news is that we still have around 88 days till Easter so there is plenty of time to turn things round 😀

A special welcome to all newcomers and returners who posted for the first time over the last week.

Thank you to everyone who posted about supplements. There are so many! I think I’ll make an alphabetic list of them all, together with any stated benefits and republish on here for reference, when I get round to it. Like Mariet, I currently only take one multivitamin tablet a day – and that’s only when I remember. (Mariet, congratulations on your impending arrival btw, do let us know when pup is here!). But it would be good to have a comparative list of possible supplements for different needs.

Stevoka I also get the dried up stomach! Maybe one or more of the supplements will help with that? Someone mentioned oat fibre. I do try to drink more water but I find if I have too much at once it makes me feel a bit sick. Any other tips welcome . . .

I had cause to go through some old photos over the weekend. Very sadly, my friend’s daughter died before Christmas and I want to put together a collection of photos of her. Many of them are from a holiday we had together almost 20 years ago. There are some lovely ones of her, but it was also a good opportunity for me to see how much better I look when I’m at my target weight. Yes, I also look 20 years younger, so can’t do much about that! But just to see me wearing clothes that fit well and no bulges or muffin tops was a real inspiration. I’d love to get back to that happy place so just need to put the effort into getting rid of these excess pounds and also toning up what’s left. Easy really 🙀 But this week I am determined to stop skulking at the back of the bus and get up front and stick to plan.

Good luck everyone X

• posted by ADD6605
    on

Hi all,just a quick check in,will post more later in the week.Weighed this morning and have maintained(I went off track too much this last week so not surprised no loss) must try harder! Dawn X

• posted by Yowzer49
    on

Hi SUEBLUE our Woolies sold all sorts of stuff..kids clothes,household,stationery,cosmetics..and the much missed ( by me anyway!) PIck and Mix confectionery. Interesting to know your Woolies is like our Tesco! When I was young in the sixties,me and some friends had Saturday jobs in Woolies..one of my friends got sacked for eating the biscuits! They used to sell loose biscuits and big slabs of cake back then.
    JENNIE I like yr Xmas memories of Woolies! My favourite W memories are going in as a kid with my mum during school holidays and her giving me two shillings to buy whatever I wanted! Also,buying my first ever make up there!
    I’m back to basics too and looking forward to feeling and looking better. I’m a late starter,been running behind the bus all January…and I succumbed over the weekend to family belated Xmas ( due to covid) and had some Christmas cake and a few other bits and pieces..but this week I’m firmly ensconced in my seat,linking arms with my fellow passengers. Good luck everyone on this trip!xxx As Wayne Dyer said…
    “If you change the way you look at things, the things you look at change.”..so keep thoughts and feelings as Positive As Possible!
    🎶🌷💕🎶🌷💕🎶🌷💕🎶🌷💕🎶🌷💕🎶🌷💕🎶🌷💕🎶🌷💕🎶🌷💕🎶🌷💕🎶🌷💕🎶🌷💕🎶
    Ps DAWN hi just seen your post..maintaining is good! Build on that this week..I am with you in spirit and on the bus,as I haven’t done v well thus far this month! XX we can and will do better!🥳🥳

• posted by Jennie10
    on

Hi everyone
    I set my targets for this trip on Sunday, but didn’t post them. Oops!
    So, here they are:
    To reduce my waist size from 33ins to 31ins (half my height) or below
    To complete 1 million steps – 10000 per day
    To complete an 8-week BSD re-set
    To eat nutritious, low carb/keto meals using ingredients in DietDoctor’s ‘Top Ten’
    visual food guides, and trying 2 new meals per week.
    To track all of the above

My main aim this year is to get back to glowing good health and learn how to maintain better.Thanks DCT for the 1 million steps target. Of course, I’m already behind so I’ll be building in some longer walks to catch up!
    I’m currently 9st 7lb. I love a weight goal but this trip I’m not going to set one. I’m going to use waist measurement as my guide instead. Even at goal weight – 9st – my waist size has never been less than half my height. So, I’m going to concentrate on that this trip. (My original waist size when I started BSD was 39ins).
    I’m not a great cook (although getting better) and I tend to go for the same food over and over, hence the aim of trying to eat a wider range of food. I’m lucky in that I’m retired so I just need to put the effort in now.
    Hope everyone is going well.
    Jennie xx

• posted by Yowzer49
    on

Hiiiiii JENNIE just called in to congratulate you on setting out yr intentions! 👏👏👏👏👏👏👏👏👏
    You sound so focused and determined,I know you can do it!
    As for me,I’m a disgrace really tho not completely to blame today. DD asked me round for a cuppa..got there to find mug of hot choc and cream on top waiting. So of course,I had it even tho it was5 pm and so far my day food wise was going well. Unfortunately it’s still v Xmassy in her house ( due to SILs covid they had belated Xmas last weekend,and this weekend it’s their NY Eve! ) They still have a tree up and pressys all over the place! There was even a prezzy there waiting for me from DDs SIL!
    So you can imagine how I was thrown right back into the festive zone ( excuses I know..) and I ate quite a bit of chocolate…and a speckly banana ( I never have ‘ narnas’ in the house coz of carbs but I love spotty ones!)
    Anyhoo choc and banana,that’s gonna have to be my evening meal now..my Carb Monster is squealing with delight. I didn’t know what a trap I was falling into by simply calling at DDs for a cuppa. We live and learn and the wet lettuce has been employed. Tomorrow is another day and I KNOW I’ll be back on board the Groovy Bus! XXX love to all 💕💕💕💕xx

on

Hello everyone
    I’ve been a disgrace this week! It started with a Terry’s Chocolate Orange on Saturday!!! As a result I won’t be weighing myself on Friday but intend to get back to basics in the hope that I can get the scales moving into the 140s! I was so positive when I started this 100 day journey and I don’t know what has happened and why I’ve lost the plot. I am seriously trying to find a reason why I’ve not been sensible but I am not going to make pathetic excuses for my lack of willpower. I found keto difficult and was doing well with low carb but I was so hungry at work last week and was so tired that I just gave up! I really do want to get my weight down and get to goal but I won’t do it like this. Tomorrow is yet another re start for me! I am making an example of myself by standing at the front of the bus hanging my head in shame. Hopefully I can turn things round before next Friday 28th January and I won’t be embarrassed about my lack of progress at the end of January. I really do want to end the month 4lb lighter so I’ve got a lot of work to do! Am so fed up with myself!

• posted by Yowzer49
    on

Hi CCATHY!X ok I’ve given you a light slap with the wet lettuce..(my wet lettuce supply is running low as I’ve had to slap myself so often with them lately! )
    Hungry and tired are a big recipe for going off piste
    we’re tired,it feels as if eating will increase our energy levels.
    Youve been so busy with yr v v important work of getting us all boosted and vaxxed,so High Five and thunderous applause for that. 👏👏👏👏👏👏👏
    There’s still over 12 weeks til Easter,the major part of our 100 day journey. It’s poss to lose two pounds a week which equates to almost two stone over 12 weeks…I know you haven’t got that much to lose,so never fear,those scales can move onwards and downwards into the nine stone zone in plenty of time. Just try to get more rest if that’s possible! XX

• posted by Jax61
    on

Hi everyone, I haven’t logged on for a few days. I had a quick scan of your posts, but too many to take in properly. I did like the Woolies post. My first Saturday job was working on the Woolworths deli counter – in the days when we still had Woolworths in the Uk.
    I am now in week 3 (2 weeks and 3 days) and I’ve lost 9.8lbs, but I have stuck to the diet religiously. I have had the some awful headaches for about 9 days and as mentioned earlier , have a ‘dry tummy’. I woke up this morning without a headache at last. Exercise has also been difficult. I did a cycle ride on Tuesday and struggled hugely cycling up hill…not saying I ever find hills easy but this was a different level of hard. I am keeping my carbs around 25 g generally but find it hard to get my protein high enough. I normally manage 50g. I’m finding I don’t really feel hungry which makes life much easier. I have so many holidays coming up this year ( fingers crossed) I am determined to get into my lovely summer clothes that haven’t fitted for quite a while and I don’t want to carry extra weight around in the hotter months. I’m hoping to experience the high energy, clear thinking and sleep well at some point!
    Keep going everyone, you all have different stories, challenges etc so we all take a slightly different road, some windy, some straight and I have been known to go round and round the roundabout at times,

• posted by SueBlue
    on

Cathy – Please don’t feel as though you are a disgrace! I can only imagine how hard it is following a keto style plan when you are vegetarian! I’m sure I read in one of MM’s books (possibly they Fast 800 Easy recipe book) that vegetarians need to up their carb intake to get adequate protein (as veg protein sources like lentils & beans etc also have carbs, unlike meat of course). I’ll try and find it.

If you are feeling hungry then no wonder it’s hard to stay on track 🙂

I’ll post properly later as am at work now but let’s just say I can’t hold my head up high and say I’ve stuck to plan either – more wet lettuce please Yowzer!

on

Some very inspiring posts here!

Jax61 that’s amazing progress, well done! You’ll soon be in this fab summer clothes. Glad the headaches have gone too.

Yowzer YESSS thanks for the reminder we still have 12 weeks to go. I’ve not got off to a very good start but am boosted to realise if I lose 11lb a week I will still get to where I want to be by Easter.

Sue thanks for your constant encouragement – and honesty – and Cathy I echo Sue’s words completely. One chocolate orange won’t kibosh everything. Just keep plodding on. I’m sure I also remember something about vegetarians needing more carbs, so if you feel hungry it’s probably your body’s way of trying to tell you that. Why not aim for a slightly higher calorie/(good) carb count so that you are still in the position to lose weight but feel better on it? I think we all need to find our own way forward and adapt this WoE to our own circumstances and needs.

Take care everyone, and keep posting so we can spur each other on X

on

Just came across this inspirational quote that I wanted to share with you, particularly those that are struggling:

“If you can’t fly then run,
    if you can’t run then walk,
    if you can’t walk then crawl,
    but whatever you do you have to keep moving forward.”

― Martin Luther King Jr.

We all move at different paces, but we will get there X

on

Hello everyone
    Jax- what an amazing weight loss in three weeks. Well done to you . That is very inspiring and proves how good the results can be when we follow the plan!
    Thank you all once again for your moral support and reminder that we still have 12 weeks to make a difference. I will jump on the scales tomorrow but I won’t post the shame after my wrong turn! I will be back on track for next weeks weigh in. I was planning to lose 4lb each month and I don’t know why I went so off piste and scuppered this month’s target. Next week I am going to make some soups which hopefully will fill me up and knuckle down once again. Things are going quiet at the vaccination centre and I’ve only got one shift next week so I will appreciate some time off at home.
    Keep plodding everyone!

• posted by Yowzer49
    on

DCT that’s a great quote,I read sthing similar today…aim for progress not perfection,baby steps are enough! Progress will move you forward,being a perfectionist won’t.
    CCATHY Im glad you’ve got some time to yrself coming up!
    JaX well done on yr loss and yr stickability! XX

on

Hello everyone

DCT I think we were posting at similar times yesterday and I didn’t read your fabulous quote until after my post. So good for me at the moment.
    My weigh In this morning showed I’d put on 1.2 lb which was better than anticipated! I have let myself down this week and will have to claw back now what I gained and so won’t achieve my anticipated 4lb loss for January. I’ve got 11 days left in January to see how much weight I can shed and then I will see how well I’ve done for the first 30 days. Still all to play for but anything I don’t lose this month will be added to next months loss so I have to make an effort or otherwise I won’t be able to achieve next months loss either. So it’s onwards and downwards for me. I had yoghurt and raspberries for my breakfast with a delicious cup of coffee- my husband bought me a stocking filler Christmas present of a handheld coffee grinder and so I’m enjoying freshly ground coffee. I ditched the cream last year when my cholesterol was high but I drink Oatley Barista which is quite creamy and my morning coffee was delicious. Grinding the beans is also good exercise! Every little helps!

So here I go again – I can’t be messing about, I only have one day of work next week so I will have time to plan, read, walk and generally get myself back in the losing weight frame of mind. My aim for next week is to lose 2lb. I need to be 148.4 lb at the end of January to have lost my 4lb target. All still to play for on my 100 day journey to goal weight. I really don’t want this journey to be perpetual and so I am going to be at goal by the end of the 100 days. 138 lb is my goal and I will weigh that weight by Easter! There….said it!

Have a good week everyone.

• posted by arcticfox
    on

Hi everyone,
    I have really stretched my goal of only eating savoury foods out by a couple of weeks. It seems to be working, so sticking with that for now. I have maybe just a slight bit of ease in the waist of my jeans this week which is good because this is usually the week of the month that I’m prone to water retention and that usually makes them tighter, not looser.
    I have been cooking a lot more and enjoying my food more than I was. That alone is a bit of a victory.
    I ended up doing a grocery pick up this week because I was finding it quite difficult to make anything with what was left in my cupboards without any other ingredients to make some nice meals. So I’m all stocked up, and doing grocery shopping online seems to keep me sensible and reduces the temptations that are everywhere in the supermarkets.
    I’ve had a busy week and not much sleep, so I haven’t been checking in here. I’ll catch up on the posts over this weekend and see how everyone is doing.

• posted by LindaandHubby
    on

Hi All.
    Just a very quick post from me & sorry but I’m losing the ability to remember what everyone says in the posts at the moment as I think I’m a little too stressed. Hubby thinks I may be developing Alzheimers as I keep forgetting nouns & he says it’s been going on for a few months now. I KNOW I’m doing that & also my mental arithmetic abilities (which I was really spot on quick with) has diminished badly & I tend now to use a calculator. He thinks I need to see a doctor BUT I think it could be from being stuck in the house 24/7 for nearly 2 years. not having anyone to talk to, except for him & he keeps his headphones on 80% of the time when we’re up on the computer, which is a large part of the day.

There is also SO much that needs doing to this house & I’m the one who has to set everything in motion, which is a bit overwhelming (new warm air gas boiler, water boiler too, new windows & doors, walls knocked down & bricked up to change entrance, new bathroom, new kitchen & also decorating throughout) that I’ve put off for too many years due to him having various health problems (such as heart attacks where he only just got to hospital in time, serious syncopy episodes losing 12 teeth on 1 episode over 2yrs ago, hopefully next month he’ll finally get teeth. another last August when he ripped all the skin off his 1 lower leg, hospital for 1 week then docs 3X a week for 4-5 months, diverticulitis – where he lost nearly half the blood in his system & after being in hospital for 3 weeks they sent him home WITHOUT giving him the extra 2 pints of blood they promised. He was SO weak that he spent the best part of 6m+ in bed. I really don’t think he realises that I still worry a great deal about him & also the house is REALLY getting me down at the moment & adding to the stress I’m under. I MISS my cousins (who were more like sisters when we were growing up as they only lived a mile away) & family SO much & also his girls in the US & their families too BUT I don’t want to bring anything back to him as I know my cousins are right gadabouts – if there are concerts, dances or big get-togethers they are there!

Sorry to put all mine & his problems down but it’s bothering/upsetting me that he thinks I need to go see a doc & tell them he thinks I’m starting old-timers disease. I think I’m just tired & stressed out.

Anyways I came on to say that I’ve lost 2lbs of the 8lbs I gained, which is OK as we found some Carr’s biscuits that we used for cheese & we both are addicted to eating them & far too many of them too. Carl won’t get on the scales as I think he’s been sneaking some other things too. My blood sugars are fine in the 4-5.3 range which means that I should still be in the ‘normal’ range.

Surprisingly we’ve both NEVER gone out of Ketosis, according to our breath Ketone meter. Is this because we’ve always carried on doing 18:6 or 16:8 fasting daily (at worst & rarely12:12) OR is our meter telling us porkies? TBH our meals during our times off have been almost following the BSD diet also BUT we have greatly over indulged in sweet goods on top of this. We’ve also drunk 3 bottles of Baileys, nearly always in coffee, which should evaporate most of the alcohol. However the day after the tipple our meter shows us up over 3.0, whereas we are normally in the 2.6-3 area. I will go over 3.0 if I starve myself, as sometimes I do. Should I buy a new breath meter maybe one of those AT6000 & do they show the readings the same way as a ‘proper’ ketone breath meter i.e. 0.5-3.0 is in Ketosis, over 3.0 is starvation mode or alcohol?? Anyone know please?

OMG I didn’t mean to write all the above but I do feel as if I know most of you & I suppose I wondered if any of you had lost words (mostly nouns) like I do because of stress? I know when I was going through the menopause I was BAD but that improved after 5yrs of horrendous, every symptom possible, during menopause & I then got back to normal. I have NO idea how long the stress will go on for this time, however, I do know that we can’t have stuff done quite yet.

Anyways It’s REALLY good to be back on this WOE, maybe I’ll feel better for restarting it? Hopefully, fingers crossed.

Keep on keeping off peeps. I read a lot of you are doing really well. If you’re not doing so good then keep on the diet as best you can as we all know these are just about the only diets that are guaranteed to work if you can keep on them & if you do go low carb the hunger melts away within 2-3weeks at most. If you are getting hungry then just check your carbs thoroughly as the carb monster will come visiting & get you if you eat too many. Love Linda XXXX

• posted by arcticfox
    on

Linda – I have lost the ability to think of words before, but it was related to living in Norway and speaking a different language and anyone I was speaking English with was not a native speaker, so I was using my ‘international English’. Even after I got home, it took a while to get back to normal. So quite possible if you aren’t speaking a lot with people that your vocabulary might be shrinking. Could be good to get checked out though. Is there anyone that you can have phone conversations with, or over zoom maybe? That could be helpful as well. I’m sure stress can contribute. I think if you are in ketosis, that will hopefully help stave off any dementia as well. Some people are calling it type 3 diabetes, so your good sugar levels may be helping your brain too.
    I completely understand the house stress. I just went through a few weeks of sub -20 weather (as cold as -34 some nights!) in a house with no insulation in the walls. I couldn’t run my fireplace or wood burner because starlings nested in the chimney in the summer and I haven’t been able to get anyone out to clean it yet. The electric baseboard heaters were completely inadequate and couldn’t keep up. So my house was sitting at 11 C most of the time. So happy it has now warmed up to around 0 C most days and I am warm again. But wow, it made me realize how much work needs to be done on the house and fairly urgently so I don’t have to go through this again. Luckily I can start in the basement and insulate that which should help a lot. Unfortunately the whole of the upstairs is likely to need asbestos abatement which I think is incredibly expensive, and I don’t even know where to begin with that. I’m beginning to think that I just need to gut the whole thing and start over. But basement first. Need to stay focused on that!

• posted by JGwen
    on

Hi Linda, the reason that cheap breathalysers work as ketone monitors is that the method used to test for alcohol also accidentally picks up on the byproduct of burning ketones for fuel. The breathalysers used by the police to check for drink driving use a different method of testing for alcohol in the breath so you will not get a false positive if in ketosis if stopped by the police.

I understand that the expensive ketone breathalysers use the same technique as the cheap breathalysers. Is it possible that when you eat the sweet stuff you are also have alcohol, so the reading is coming from drink?

• posted by SueBlue
    on

JAX – well done! Losing almost 10lb in 2 weeks is fantastic! And glad your headaches have eased,

DCT – thanks for the quote – I needed to read those words!

I haven’t had a good week at all this week, weight and mood wise, I’ve gained 1/2kg (1lb), which brings my overall loss since the beginning of Jan down to 1.5kg.

There’s a couple of reasons/things going on, nothing major but I guess they all contribute. When I read MM’s new Keto book I felt inspired and determined to stick to it, so I planned all of my meals and then ordered the groceries online. Well this week I’d say at least 30-35% of what I ordered didn’t turn up – a mix of out of stock items and also a large amount of missing items, about $70 worth! It just means I’ll have to wait another week for those foods and improvise with my plan!

I also have some family tensions going on, our house is very small and it’s hard at times having 4 adults virtually living on top of one another,
    Then there’s the situation with my MIL who’s becoming increasingly dependant on me to help her day to day, and she can be demanding at time’s…And to top it all off, work stress is contributing to my lower state of mind too!
    So with having a low mood its been easier this week to reach for a glass (or 4!) of wine, say yes when I’m offered a biscuit, heat a frozen pizza instead of preparing a healthy meal, and to roll over and go back to sleep instead of getting up early and walking!! Resulting in a gain instead of a loss unsurprisingly!

Yesterday though I drew a line in the sand and forced myself to go for a walk in the morning even though I didn’t feel like it. I made the smoked cod chowder from the new book, didn’t like it tbh but then I’m not a big fish eater. I drained the fish and veg from the liquid and mixed it with some left over pumpkin and some chia seeds and made fish cakes in my air fryer – going to have those today (waste nor want not and all that!). For dinner I made the pizza from the Fast 800 book.
    I watched tv in the evening then had an early night so I wouldn’t be tempted to eat or drink anything. Today is another new day and although I don’t feel full of energy & optimism I’m going to take one small step at a time and keep moving forward!

on

Hi everyone and happy weekend. Just a quick post to say hello, especially to Sue and Linda. Sue I hope you’re ok and manage to get some time for yourself in amongst all the demands placed on you. Same for you Linda; it sounds to me as if stress and frustration are the main issues for you right now too. Sending love and moral support to you both.

I also wanted to say that there was a big feature on Michael in yesterday’s Daily Mail. A condensed version of his new book plus some of the recipes. But what I find exciting is that he said he personally lost 9lb/4kg in 12 days just before Christmas on the plan. And to me, he doesn’t look like he had that much to lose anyway.

So I’m feeling freshly inspired to reboot tomorrow and be really strict for at least 12 days. Surely even I’m capable of doing that 🙀 Jax61 in this thread is also an inspiration. I just seem to have got into some really bad habits recently so need to turn things round. Will report back in due course ….

• posted by Yowzer49
    on

Hi everybody ! Wow there’s a lot to digest here! This thread goes from strength to strength and we seem to share more and more with each challenge,and we support each other so well..so..high five us!! XXXX we rock!
    Just want to send extra special wishes for the week to LINDA and her OH and to ARCTIC FOX XXX
    I’m perched on the very edge of my seat!..my Carb Monsters taking up most of the space! She’s short and fat,looks like a little gorilla,and wears a flouncy dress,so she takes up a lot of room..🙄
    anyway I’ve shoved her off my seat now,and she’s dancing with rage and shaking her fists..but as the bus drives away,she’s becoming a smaller and smaller dot in the distance! Bye bye Carb Monster! 🙂🙃
    Here’s to a very good week for all of us! CCATHY enjoy having some ME time this week. XX
    DCT YEs,wasn’t it hearten8ng to read that MM lost 9 + lbs in 12 days!Xx

on

hello everyone
    Linda- I hope you are OK. What a worry for you. I hope you are able to seek some professional help regarding your memory and perhaps an assessment to put your mind at ease but you might be right that the stress of the last couple of years has contributed to your forgetfulness.
    SueBlue – sorry to see you too have been having some stress. You’re doing the right thing taking things slowly and being kind to yourself.
    I honestly believe that the last two Covid years have taken more of a toll on us than we are aware of. We have all had to live through an extremely difficult time. The fact that we are still here helping each other is amazing.
    I still haven’t yet knuckled down! I have been asked to go into work tomorrow and Friday and have taken some soup out of the freezer for tomorrow so that is a start to being sensible! . I am fighting with myself most of the day. I want to get my weight down but I keep making wrong and bad choices. I have just come home from seeing my son where I ate two absolutely delicious lemon shortbread biscuits! Why did I do it? I wanted to eat them. This may seem weird but I want to feel “normal” instead of always thinking about what I can’t eat and what I can eat. Wouldn’t it be fantastic to be able to eat whatever we wanted to without having to feel bad or guilty. I know I am happier when my clothes feel comfortable but this last week I’ve not cared too much about being sensible. I think one of the reasons could be that I keep thinking a lot about about my friend who some of you may remember was diagnosed with a stage 4 brain tumour after our holiday together last year who doesn’t have a good prognosis and it is also coming up to the anniversary of my friends daughter who sadly died of Covid this time last year. Last year was a terrible year for me and It made me think about how precious life is and how short it can be and I sometimes find it tiresome to be strict. I am not making excuses but just saying how I sometimes feel and I think this is why I am struggling at the moment.

As SueBlue said, tomorrow is another day. I will try and knuckle down. I really do want to weigh 138 lb at Easter and there is only one way I can be 138 lb and that is by not eating lemon shortbread biscuits and all the other foods I’ve eaten this weekend. So it’s a kale and bean and pesto soup tomorrow for lunch.

DCT – I hope to be rebooting with you tomorrow. I don’t think it would be possible for me to lose 9lb in 12 days but I am going to give it a jolly good try! It would be a great experiment for us to try it out, Let’s see how we do! I will weigh myself tomorrow and again on day 12. I reckon I’ll lose 2lb. I think this is a great mini challenge.

• posted by SueBlue
    on

LINDA – sorry I hadn’t read your post when I last posted – somehow the ‘notify me of replies’ box had become unticked (I read posts through my email), also ARCTIC FOX I hadn’t read yours either!

I have forgotten words in the past, it was about 7 years ago after I’d gone through chemo and radiotherapy and while I was (unknowingly!) also going through menopause… it was like a constant brain fog for about 6 months. I’m fine nowadays though. I don’t know how much it helped in my recovery but I used to do ‘brain training’ exercises each day on my phone. I had one of those free apps installed and every day I would do the daily tasks that were set, some of the challenges were word ones, and there was some maths too, it only took maybe 15 minutes or so of my day.
    My MIL does have this issue (forgetting words) but she is 86 and doctor has said she has mild cognitive impairment/dementia. My dad too, he is 80 this year and has been getting increasing forgetful for the past 10 years or so, but he does have Alzheimer’s run in his family.
    Perhaps it may be worth having a chat with your doctor? There are simple tests they can do which can help show if there is a problem. My MIL had no trouble answering questions about the day, date,
    Tme etc but she could not copy a simple drawing of shapes that the doctor asked her to do for example.
    Anyway I hope that you are able to sort out all your problems. My house, as well as being too small, has loads wrong with it but it’s not worth fixing as it’s resale value is in the land. We were all set to put it on the market for sale when the Covid lockdowns hit us last year so we put it off, but hopefully we’ll be able to get back on track with that soon.

Thanks for all of your support DCT, Cathy and fellow travellers, it really does help.
    I’m in a better frame of mind today, which is good! I rarely feel down, I’m more a glass half full person and find myself trying to cheer everyone else up most of the time 🙂
    It’s a new week and I started the day with a healthy breakfast of scrambled egg, mushroom and avocado. I’m not working today so going to do some meal prepping and planning. Was thinking of making bolognaise for dinner as I can have that with green beans that I need to use up, and then the leftover sauce I’ll use to make eggplant lasagne tomorrow as I have a veggie order coming from the markets. I didn’t go for a walk this morning so will go this evening instead.

DCT – I like the idea of a 12 day challenge so will join in too!

• posted by Stevoka
    on

A few observations from my first two weeks which might help others. First point, I’m not on the diet due to blood sugar issues so this won’t help everyone. The first week I had one day off and this week I cheated over a few days as it was my birthday week. On my properly allowed day off I didn’t eat past being full but allowed myself to just eat what I fancied. It really help me stick to it for the rest of the week and I had no guilt for what I ate that day. This week I knew wouldn’t be strict in the evenings so I fasted during the day. After one week on the diet, this was not hard at all because my appetite is massively reduced. I also got full quickly when I ate in the evening so I didn’t over do it. On Thursday I ate without restriction but all things allowed on the diet. On Friday I went out for dinner and definitely spoiled myself and yesterday wasn’t too much better. I’ve still been prioritising protein so that helps to fill me up quick and also keeps my cravings for carbs down. Today I extended my fast a bit past when I first felt hungry to get back into eating healthier and I’ve been good. I don’t know if I’ve lost weight as I’ve only just bought some scales but I’ve lost size each week. I measure in multiple places which is really helpful as one week I lose it off one place and one week from another. This keeps it motivating. If it’s useful, these are the places I measure: under boobs, belly button, what I call fat tum which is kind of round the top of my hips and the roundest part of my lower stomach. Bum, saddle bags and left thigh and right thigh. In the past I was really disappointed when I’d been so good and lost no weight over 2 weeks but was shocked when I’d lost a fair few inches. The combination of the two really helps for me. Next, almond butter! I find that a tablespoon or two really keeps me off the carbs. I mostly keep it within my 800 calorie count but even if I don’t I let myself have a bit. It means I stay on the diet but feel like I’ve had something really naughty. I also find Greek yoghurt with a little granulated sweetener, vanilla extract, cocoa powder and a teaspoon for flax seeds really hits the spot if I need something chocolatey. If I use a zero percent fat yoghurt the calories are really low. And lastly I’m careful not to keep things too low fat. If there’s a reasonable amount of healthy fats, I feel much more satiated and much less likely to cheat. Anyhow I hope there’s something helpful here for someone else and I’d love to hear your tips and tricks 🙂

• posted by Stevoka
    on

A few observations from my first two weeks which might help others. First point, I’m not on the diet due to blood sugar issues so this won’t help everyone. The first week I had one day off and this week I cheated over a few days as it was my birthday week. On my properly allowed day off I didn’t eat past being full but allowed myself to just eat what I fancied. It really help me stick to it for the rest of the week and I had no guilt for what I ate that day. This week I knew wouldn’t be strict in the evenings so I fasted during the day. After one week on the diet, this was not hard at all because my appetite is massively reduced. I also got full quickly when I ate in the evening so I didn’t over do it. On Thursday I ate without restriction but all things allowed on the diet. On Friday I went out for dinner and definitely spoiled myself and yesterday wasn’t too much better. I’ve still been prioritising protein so that helps to fill me up quick and also keeps my cravings for carbs down. Today I extended my fast a bit past when I first felt hungry to get back into eating healthier and I’ve been good. I don’t know if I’ve lost weight as I’ve only just bought some scales but I’ve lost size each week. I measure in multiple places which is really helpful as one week I lose it off one place and one week from another. This keeps it motivating. If it’s useful, these are the places I measure: under boobs, belly button, what I call fat tum which is kind of round the top of my hips and the roundest part of my lower stomach. Bum, saddle bags and left thigh and right thigh. In the past I was really disappointed when I’d been so good and lost no weight over 2 weeks but was shocked when I’d lost a fair few inches. The combination of the two really helps for me. Next, almond butter! I find that a tablespoon or two really keeps me off the carbs. I mostly keep it within my 800 calorie count but even if I don’t I let myself have a bit. It means I stay on the diet but feel like I’ve had something really naughty. I also find Greek yoghurt with a little granulated sweetener, vanilla extract, cocoa powder and a teaspoon for flax seeds really hits the spot if I need something chocolatey. If I use a zero percent fat yoghurt the calories are really low. And lastly I’m careful not to keep things too low fat. If there’s a reasonable amount of healthy fats, I feel much more satiated and much less likely to cheat. Anyhow I hope there’s something helpful here for someone else and I’d love to hear your tips and tricks 🙂

• posted by ADD6605
    on

Hi all,sorry I haven’t posted much this last week,we’ve had a worrying week with my Dad and yet again I’ve turned to rubbish food.On reading everyone’s posts it seems quite a few of us are going through anxious times again with various things so I’m hoping situations improve soon for us all.DCT,Cathy and Sue would you mind if I joined your mini challenge please as I think having something short term to focus on would really help me at the moment.We had a Chinese takeaway last night.We don’t often have one and I feel horribly bloated this morning and I’m sure some of the extra pounds on the scales will be because of that and will drop quite quickly.I’m pleased I did a food plan last week for today as can’t think about food until I feel less bloated!Hope you all have a good day/evening.Dawn X

on

Arcticfox, Linda and Sue I really sympathise with your house situations. There is always so much to do but it sounds like each of you have particular challenges. Arcticfox I cannot begin to imagine the temperatures you are living in. It brought it home to me when you said it had warmed up to 0ºC!

Cathy good to hear from you and I’m completely with you in terms of wanting to feel normal and not fretting about food all the time. I agree that we need to keep all this in perspective, and know that it has been a very difficult time for you recently with the bad news you have faced. I just want to get myself back on track – as I said I’ve drifted into some really bad habits – but equally never want to be fanatical and obsessive about what passes my lips. Life is for living, not for worrying all the time. But on the other hand I know my bad habits make me feel less well and energetic than I could otherwise be. Like everything, it’s a balancing act.

I certainly want to do this 12 day challenge and welcome all joiners. Great to already have the company of Cathy, Sue and Dawn. I would love to think I’ll lose 9lb like MM but very much doubt it. I’m just intrigued to see what I can lose by being really strict. In the early days I did lose weight quickly but have been so on and off this WoE for so long (more on than off, but not stringently) that I kind of take it for granted that I will now keep losing slowly. It just surprised me that MM lost so much so quickly after (I imagine) sticking to this WoE much better than me for so long – and also seemingly not having much remaining excess weight to lose.

So we’ll see how it goes. This morning I was 148lb, my highest weight for a long time. I have a family event on Saturday 5th Feb – 12 days away – and I’d love to wave the magic wand and say I’ll be below 140lb by then. And I know in theory it’s possible. But doesn’t feel do-able for me. Maybe I’ll surprise myself 🙀

Dawn I’m sorry to hear your Dad is not so good. Hope that there is some better news this week. And Stevoka, thanks for all those helpful tips. It’s always good to read about how we all adapt things to suit our tastes and circumstances. I will certainly share anything that is particularly helpful to me over these next 12 days.

Hope everyone has a good week X

• posted by JGwen
    on

Hi Guys,
    I have been quiet for a couple of days, I went down to visit my step in mum. I hadn’t had a chance to visit her for a couple of years and she is feeling the consequences of Covid lockdowns. She is in her 80’s so is going through the time of life where she is loosing friends that she used to socialise with on top of not being able to meet due to Covid. It was the first time for her that she had the chance to cater for a friend in her home, so I didn’t like to say can;t eat that when it came to all the extra fruit she had bought because its healthy….

It was my birthday as well on Saturday. So I wasn’t strict with myself then either.

Cathy and others, I have been feeling the same as well about feeling restricted. – Part of the problem for me is being a vegi, who doesn’t make the time to batch cook. I end up buying the same limited range of grab and go ingredients every week and I am sick of them and sick of looking in others trolleys in the supermarket and never seeing any one else on as restrictive an eating program. Some how as we come out of Covid restrictions I want to socialise occasionally and that does involve sometimes eating with others.

I am going to put it out there for accountability, that for this journey I am going to include ADF 3 times a week, and stay sensible but not as restrictive from saturday lunchtime to sunday evening.

• posted by Yowzer49
    on

DCT!SUEBLUE!!DAWN! and CCATHY! I’ve started the 12 day challenge! Woohoo! A mini challenge within a challenge!👏👏
    JGWEN good on you eating at yr stepmums..that must have meant a lot to her, having your company and having someone to eat with.
    Belated birthday wishes. JGWEN! X and belated bday wishes to STEVOKA too X!🥳🥳🥳
    Onwards and downwards Bus People! X

• posted by Jennie10
    on

Hi everyone
    Jax – that’s a great loss – woohoo! and coming out of the carb flu thing – double woohoo! You must be chuffed.
    RobN, Tracy Adams, Denise Susan, Nokie, RussianRoulade – hi, hope you’re all doing well so far. (Denise Susan and RussianRoulade – nice to see you both back).
    JGwen – belated happy birthday wishes for Saturday – Happy Birthday to you, Happy Birthday to you…….. (if I knew how to post balloon and candle emojis I would……but I don’t, so I won’t!).
    I completely get what you’re saying. One of my problems recently has been similar – buying the same limited range of food over and over (1 goal this trip is to eat a wider range of more nutritious meals). It sounds like you have been really poorly so relaxing restrictions over weekends going forward sounds like a great plan. It’s really nice to see you back and posting. N.b. What is ADF?
    Stevoka – belated birthday wishes to you also. I like ‘Begin Again’. Thanks for the tips, it sounds a bit like the 5:2 diet where you have 5 stricter days and 2 more relaxed days, only more fluid, instinctive maybe?
    One of my tips would be to set tiny meaningful (to you) targets. When I first did BSD I had almost 6 stone to lose. It just felt like such a mountain to climb so I deliberately set tiny targets that I could meet in a few days or a week – 10 days at most!. I was so happy when I ticked off each target that it kept me motivated. Another thing I found helpful was when I went out to somewhere with tempting food I always had something nice (one of my favourite low carb treats) at home. Knowing this kept me on track. The final tip that someone posted on here which I found helpful was if you’re going to go off track then do it by eating more cals rather than more carbs. I’ve found that one really helpful over time. My almond butter was plain full fat yoghurt – if I was really hungry I’d have a spoonful (or 2 or 3) of yoghurt. (It doesn’t count you know if you’re standing by the open fridge door while eating it! ).
    Linda, I’m really sorry to hear about your concerns. A bit like arcticfox, I’ve been in a situation where I was living with, and teaching English to, refugees for 3 years, and I experienced a very similar and significant loss of vocabulary/word recollection. My husband and I have been in a similar situation to yours during the pandemic and we have both independently commented on our struggles to remember words, brain fog etc. Take care. xx
    Dawn – sorry to hear about your worries with your Dad too xx
    A 12 day challenge sounds like a great idea, I’ll be cheering you all on from the sidelines – you go girls!
    Yowser – I’ve been de-cluttering too. (My husband says he’s afraid to stand next to an empty cardboard box or black bin bag – I have been tempted!). I’m almost finished but I do love the sound of your system.
    I’m off for me tea, but, in best Yowzer style, I’ll leave with a quote. “Count your achievements, make plans to improve, view relapses as being human”

Jennie xx

• posted by Jennie10
    on

Hi JGwen – Ignore my question above about ADF – I just read Wendy’s post on the One Week thread – Alternate Day Fasting.

• posted by Yowzer49
    on

Hi JENNIE (waves!)thanks for yr tips and for that very useful quote x I particularly like tip 2 and will bear that in mind.
    I used to be awful for “ all or nothing”..if I wasn’t doing it “ perfectly” I wd think I had ruined everything and it wd take me ages to try again. Hence a big weight gain over a period of time
    Fortunately I’ve – at last- got it into my head that progress in baby steps will get you there,perfection won’t! I deffo get “the relapses are only human” idea now…and “count every achievement”,no matter how small,it all adds up!..and “make plans to improve”and then work on those plans will deffo get results! 🥳🥳🥳

Please log in or register to post a reply.