100 day Journey to Easter

We have not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you are have any health related symptoms or concerns, you should contact your doctor who will be able to give you advice specific to your situation.

• posted by Dreamscometrue
    on

So here we are – 2022. Let’s hope this year has some good things in store.

And if you have weight loss goals that you want to achieve this year, why not join this 100 day Journey to Easter? This is the follow on thread from Countdown to Christmas, in which a group of us banded together for a virtual bus tour and had lots of fun and banter whilst providing much needed mutual support for our weight loss goals.

Easter is the weekend of 15th/17th April, so if you want to do the full 100 days you’ll need to start your journey sometime this week. But anyone is welcome to hop on or off at any stage.

We’d love to see friends old and new on the thread. Everyone is welcome – the more the merrier! We guarantee some good company and promise to help you work towards your goals in whatever way we can.

on

I’ll kick the thread off with my Easter goals.

I started the BSD back in January 2017. 5 years ago now! At that time I weighed 175lb and had a long term weight loss goal of 133lb. Since then I have come tantalisingly close to it a couple of times, but am currently around 146-147lb. I also started running during the first lockdown and was doing well up till around April last year, so I want to get back into that as it was making a positive difference in various ways.

So my Easter goals are:

To lose 1 stone and finally make it to 133lb.
    To complete 1 million steps – 10000 per day.

I’m feeling excited and very positive about these challenges and have just ordered Michael Mosley’s new book Fast 800 Keto. The tag line is”Eat well, burn fat, manage your weight long-term” – so here’s hoping!

I’m going to use this Bank Holiday weekend to get myself organised, and hopefully do a couple of long walks and maybe even a reboot run. Then will start in earnest on Tuesday 4th January – interestingly exactly 5 years to the day of my initial 8 weeks on the Blood Sugar Diet. At that stage I really didn’t think I’d stick to it but I’m still here! And a big part of that is the friendships and support of this forum. Looking forward to continuing this in 2022 X

• posted by ClarinetCathy
    on

Happy New Year and thank you Dreamscometrue for setting up this fantastic thread. 100 days is ideal for me.

For those who don’t know me- I started the blood sugar diet like DCT in January 2017 weighing 175 lb and I did eventually manage to achieve my goal of 133 lb but struggled to maintain that weight and over the years I’ve gradually put on weight. I actually got down to 130 lbs!!! I managed to get down to 147 lb on Christmas Eve and I’ve had two weeks off plan eating what I wanted and won’t be weighing myself until Friday 9 th January- I’m probably back to square one but the journey starts again! My new MM book has arrived and I am definitely embarking on the fast 800 keto way of eating next week and my goal is to weigh 138 lb at the end of this 100 day journey.
    I am looking forward to sharing my journey and am very excited to get back to my goal in 100 days! I have booked a holiday for September and I have lots of lovely clothes waiting to be worn in my summer wardrobe so this feels like the perfect time to start again. This is a fresh start and I am going to achieve my goal!

• posted by SueBlue
    on

Happy New Year!
    Thanks for setting up this thread DCT 🙂

I’m another January 2017 veteran… I can’t believe how fast those 5 years have gone, and that I’m still here!

My BSD journey started when I spotted MM’s book while shopping, I started the very next day… my start weight was 103kg (227 lb) and I lost 12kg that year. Since then my weight went up and down a bit, I call 2018-2020 my maintenance years! Then this time last year I found myself at 100.3kg and so restarted, and lost 10.4kg (I think that’s about 22lb). I’m finally overweight rather than obese 🙂

So that brings me to now, 2022, and I’d REALLY like to finish what I started 5 years ago and get down closer to the ‘normal’ weight range for my height, that’s 62-76kg from memory. Now the last time I remember being 62kg was about 30 years ago – I’d be happy to get down to 80kg (177 lb?), so that’s my 2022 goal – 80kg or bust!

So for this 100 day journey I’m going to set myself a target of 4kg. I have ordered the new Keto book and it’s due to be delivered by 3 Jan so just in time for my restart on the 4th!

Good luck everyone, let’s do this!

• posted by arcticfox
    on

Hi DCT, Cathy and SueBlue – I’d like to join you, if I may. I started a bit later than you, in October 2017. I had some good success up until a major riding accident in 2018. Head injury, vertigo and pain meant that my impulse control went out the window. Then peri-menopause kicked in and I was having huge problems losing weight as well as maintaining decent iron status. I’ve had some spurts of getting back in control, but then it falls apart again, usually due to a major stressor. In the past 18 months it has been moving to a new town and moving from a flat to a farm, followed by 2 major natural disasters. I work partially on emergency response (not my normal job, but I get pulled in when they need more people helping), so in addition to being directly affected, I have been working long hours to support others. So here is hoping for a better and less stressful 2022!
    SueBlue – my initial goal was 75kg, but I would honestly be really pleased with 80kg at this point. I haven’t weighed myself yet but I’m sure to be over 100kg at this point, so not sure I can make 80kg by Easter, but it’s a good target to aim for. I know I have put on a ton of muscle in the past year. I’m so much stronger than I was before I bought my farm, so I know the weight gain is not all fat, but a good portion of fat has gone on too.
    DCT – having an organizational period sounds like a plan. I’m going to do a deep clean on my kitchen today and do an inventory of my store cupboard. I know I have a packet of konjac noodles somewhere in there. Lots of good veggies in the freezer that need eating as well. As we get into the end of Feb or early Mar, I should be able to access the veggies in my polytunnel. It is frozen shut right now and covered in more than 30cm of snow. But I hope the snow has insulated things from the sub -30 C temps we had last week!
    Cathy – I have worn out my jeans over the last year. I want to get some new ones, but would be lovely to get them in a smaller size. I’m sure we can at least reach the goal of being a smaller size or two by Easter!

• posted by Mariet
    on

DCT, thanks for setting up the thread. I am here again, sigh, after going AWOL on the Countdown to Christmas thread. I have just got home from a week camping, food-wise no problem but wine, yes problem! This is going to be my biggest stumbling block going forward. Next month will be my five year anniversary on this WOE and I would dearly love to be back in the 60-70kg range. I would still be overweight but not by much and when I got to goal last time I looked very gaunt so happy to settle for a few kilos over.
    I have not weighed myself for weeks and I’m going to leave it a few days. It was very hot and humid where I was camping and my feet and legs are really swollen. It would be so demoralising to find out the figure just now!
    I’m all prepped and I’m starting right now! Luckily I have some recent photos that shocked the hell out of me to help with motivation- I am so shallow that vanity has always been stronger than the desire for good health 😁

on

Hello Cathy, Sue, Arcticfox and Mariet! Happy New Year and I’m so pleased you are up for this journey too. I feel a real sense of optimism about this, and hope it will turn out to be justified.

Arcticfox I remember your name from previous threads, and it’s great to see you on here. I’m fascinated by the lifestyle you describe, and hope to hear more throughout our journey. I really hope that 2022 will be a much better – and less stressful – year for you.

Mariet I hear you about those photos. I cringe at some of the recent ones of me. You know the sort . . . you go out thinking you look ok then see a photo which looks completely different 🙀

Cathy and Sue, it’s great to be on another thread together again. I really can’t believe it’s been 5 years! But despite all the many ups and downs it’s been fun travelling with you and let’s hope this is the year we finally nail it!

My new Michael Mosley book arrives tomorrow and am hoping it will give me plenty of fresh inspiration and ideas. I’ll then spend some time recipe planning and also setting up a new spreadsheet with mini targets on it ready to get going on Tuesday. Bring it on!

Hope that lots more will join. If you’re reading this, do hop on board 😀

• posted by caronl
    on

Hello DCT, Mariet, Cathy, Sue and Arcticfox,
    Well I have forgotten which of your buses I fell off! I first started here in the Autumn of 2017 and got to goal by Easter 2018. Most (but thankfully not all) of the discarded kilos are back, along with the health problems they cause. Of course the kilos didn’t arrive of their own accord….. I let carbs creep up on me, with the occasional glass of wine. And Covid comfort eating.

So here I am and raring to go. My goal is to lose 10 kilos by Easter. I want to make each of the 100 days count. My “why-s:” (JGwen are you there?x) are my health, and the wardrobe of slimmer clothes just waiting for me to enjoy again! I have to believe this is not another false start, and will now immerse myself in low carb/low sugar You tube videos! Very best wishes to you all, and others who join us.

• posted by ddraig_goch
    on

I would like to join your 100 day journey starting from tomorrow. I have have been following low carb and no sugar (except for the odd can of Guinness) since 2013 and whilst I lost nearly 7st initially it has slowly been creeping back on so I’m now nearly 4st overweight. I am so excited to have found the fast 800 keto book as I have been trying to merge the two plans for sometime without success. Coming back to the forum after a long absence, I have also discovered today that keto sticks aren’t accurate. I’ve never had success with them after the first couple of weeks so assumed that even with sticking to 10% carb intake I couldn’t stay in ketosis. Reading the forum I now know why and have ordered my AT6000 breathalyser, so thank guys. For me the fasting part is easy but in trying to keep in keto the 800 cals haven’t been. Now I have renewed optimism that by Easter I shall have gone from 200lb to 158lb and be ready to run a canicross 10k Easter weekend. Good luck everyone with your own personal goals. I hope they get fulfilled.

on

Hi caronl. I remember you from an earlier thread so it’s great to see you back again. I have very similar “why’s” to you as well. The weight I’ve put back on recently has gone straight round the belly. From a health point of view this is the worst place for it. Not only that, but it means some of my clothes are getting tight round the waist, and a couple of things I bought recently and had hoped to get into by Christmas still don’t fit. So for all those reasons, the weight gain needs to go!

Hello ddraig_goch as well and welcome! I’m so impressed by your huge weight loss and am convinced you will meet your target for 2022. Look forward to sharing the journey with you. Good luck with your canicross preparation too. I want to get back into running (although am still a relative beginner). But I can’t run with my dog at all – he just doesn’t get it and wants to jump at me. I think we’d both end up on the ground in no time 😀

• posted by Verano
    on

Hi reading all you posts makes me realise I have to take my head out of the sand!
    My story is so similar to your stories.
    I began my journey in July 2016. My first two years saw losses, third year I put back half of my total loss, then a tiny loss in 2019, 2020 saw a gain of 7lbs and this year is ‘even steven’s’ again. Despite this my HbA1c has remained in the normal range .But I need to get real.
    It’s time I stopped fooling myself that because my BS is under control everything is fine … it isn’t. I need to lose weight so need to get back to planning, weighing and recording. That worked in the past. I have looked at MFP again but I think I might go back to Fat Secret because I find changing the weights etc. is easier.
    I’m not making a weight loss ‘goal’ I’m just wanting to get back, firstly to my original 10% weight loss, then add another 5% and then another 5%.
    I’m listening to MM’s new book on audible at the moment and finding it quite interesting …. more emphasis on protein and keto , protein >50g a day, <50g carbs and 800 to 900 calories a day but 1000 if you’re feeling really hungry. I haven’t finished the book yet but overall the ‘eating plan’ seems to be slightly more ‘relaxed’.
    I’d love to join your journey please, and travel with like-minded people, and maybe have some fun along the way, but, more importantly end this year in a better place than we started.

on

Welcome verano! It’s great to have you on board and I look forward to travelling with you. I agree about how important it is to plan and weigh and measure. Otherwise I find all kinds of things can somehow pass your lips without being noticed!

Can’t wait for the new book. It should arrive tomorrow and will compare notes once I’ve had a read.

Good luck with your weight loss, and hopefully we can help each other along the way X

on

Hello everyone
    It’s fantastic to a see so many people I know from my time on the forum joining in our 100 day journey.This is going to be a fabulous journey for us all. I am starting tomorrow 3rd January and feel focused and determined. It’s going to be a difficult transition into keto after two weeks of eating all the wrong foods but by Friday I should be firmly in ketosis and I will be weighing every Friday. I am looking forward to eating a healthy diet and so looking forward to seeing how we all get on over the next few weeks. 100 days to make a massive difference. We will do it! There is a lot of experience on this thread and there will be a lot of support and help along the way. I am so thankful to many of you for your kindness and help and advice over the last few years.

We all have so much in common- we have all lost weight with this way of eating and we have all kept going despite a few ups and downs and here we all are as determined and as hopeful as when we first embarked on our original blood sugar diet journey. I remember being so excited in 2017 when I first found out about this way of eating and hoping that it would work for me after trying various other “diets” for years. I lost 42 lb! I was so happy. I feel as excited today to start this 100 day journey and am excited to see how we all progress and am ready to get rid of the excess 14 lb I have accumulated over the last couple of difficult years.

Good luck everyone. Let’s do this together. I am sure there will be many more passengers joining our journey this week…All aboard.

• posted by ADD6605
    on

Hello everyone and thanks to DCT for setting up this new thread.I’m definitely on board for the 100 day journey.I’m starting today,see you are too Cathy,weighed myself and I need to lose 34 pounds (I’ve basically put on everything I lost)to get down to what I think will be my goal.I would like to lose 6 inches off my waist too.I don’t know whether that is doable by Easter but I intend to get a big chunk of it off anyway. I’m in the middle of reading the new fast800 Keto book and am going to spend part of today looking at my old MFP food plans to get ideas from days I managed to stay at 50g carb and 50g protein. I’m relieved to be starting this again as have had too long off plan and feel really rough,the discomfort of a kidney stone for a couple of days last week has added to my renewed enthusiasm for better health and the importance of me drinking more water!My middle is now ginormous compared to the rest of my body but I know from when I first followed the fast800 in March 2019 that I can drastically change that (I lost 18lb in 6 weeks,mainly from my middle).So my plan is to start today, stick to the fast800 keto plan, fill in a daily food plan and try to fit a bit of exercise in.I know that the support of you lovely people will be a massive help.Good luck everyone🙂 Dawn X

• posted by caronl
    on

Hi all and welcome Dawn. I am really looking forward to making this journey together. And lovely to see so many familiar names. Verano, you are one of my guiding lights from when I started, and I have loved your insights over the years.
    I had a good start yesterday: ff yoghurt with berries and a few almonds: smoked trout, salad and mustard vinaigrette for lunch: 2 egg mushroom omelette for supper. I was quite hungry in the evening, and had a black decaf coffee. That did the trick – and reminded me that “hunger” (at least in our privileged world) really does go away if you ignore it.
    Sharp eyes will notice no measurements yet: I am just going on experience for portion size and food choices for the moment. And will get stricter in a while if weight loss doesn’t happen. I feel a bit hampered by the demise of SparkPeople for my food diary and carb counting, and haven’t found a good replacement yet. I need a counter where you can easily put in your favourites, and preferably international enough to have Dutch products. Hmmm.
    Have a good day everyone.

• posted by Rob N
    on

I am new to the forum, looking for some inspiration. I have lurked a bit.
    I would like to join you. I did a fast 800/ 18:6 diet last year for 6 months and then the summer holiday came and since then it’s gradually gone belly up! It’s not all bad though.
    I am 50 in June and am ready for another try.
    I have avoided scales lately but will start on Tuesday 4th.
    I am pleased to have some company this time.

• posted by Jax61
    on

Hi All
    I am delighted to see that you have set up this thread having followed your countdown to Xmas thread. I have dipped in and out of the fast 800 diet for a few years but have never stuck to it long term. I started yesterday and weighed in at 182lbs which is the heaviest I have ever been. The weight has also settled around my stomach now which is new for me and I guess age related (60). I would like to lose 2 1/2 stone as (covid allowing) I am planning a long trip to India early next year and carrying excess weight in a hot country is not ideal. I need to lose 2 stone to get to a healthy weight. Shorter term, I am cycling the Coast to Coast Way of the Roses route (Bridlington to Morecombe) in early May so 100 days is ideal to get leaner and fitter. I will have to work out how I can fuel myself on active days as I’m not sure I will manage training rides in the hills of Devon on 800 cals. I guess I need to make sure I up my protein and fat for these rides. I am sooo looking forward to feeling comfortable in my clothes again….I rarely look in the mirror these days as I would rather avoid ! Onwards and upwards and good luck to all…we can do it!!

on

Welcome Rob N and Jax61 – lovely to see some more new faces! Rob what a great 50th birthday present it would be to yourself to get to the weight you want to be 👏 And Jax your cycling trip (and India) sounds like an amazing motivator. You can do this!!

Great to see you here too Dawn and we are united in our desire to lose weight from the middle. I measured myself – waist, belly and hips – today for the first time in a long time and was shocked! 🙀 No wonder my clothes are tight or not even fitting at all. Time for change definitely.

My new MM book has just arrived so I’m really excited to read that today AND have just ordered a new soup maker (meant to be the number one gadget in the UK at the moment?!) to help with making healthy soups for winter lunches.

Good luck everyone! It’s great to be in such lovely company. Let’s do this 😀

• posted by LindaandHubby
    on

Hi All,
    It’s GREAT to see some new posters on this thread & some new oldies too that have been on/off the diet for 5yrs. I’ve only been on it since March 2021 but have already gone into diabetic remission. Had my HbA1c done 21st December & although I’ve taken 1 month+ off the diet & been REALLY bad my BS are still ‘normal’ YAY! The 1m+ off the diet has meant I’m now putting on weight around my middle, which really isn’t good so I need to get back onto the diet pretty soon. Had the 800 keto diet book & am slowly making my way through it ready for the start again of the diet next week. Don’t know yet if we’ll do the BSD or this new 800 keto – I suspect we’ll do a mix of both as hubby has been told to up his protein & reading the book it looks as if all us oldies need to do this also.

DCT – I looked at a soup-maker BUT I tend to throw everything in & don’t do recipes. Cauli leaves & broccoli stalks are the basics plus parsnips, carrots, lentils & some cheap cream cheese if it’s in the fridge. Also I often make 2+ litres at a time – we have HUGE mugs that have got to be 600ml+ & I have some BIG saucepans that vacuum seal the lids to make them safe for a helping the following day. I just use a hand blender to smooth out the lumps – got a 600W new one from Asda at just £12 & it’s brilliant, far better than my old one.

It’s Hi All & Bye all until next week when I join you properly.

• posted by Yowzer49
    on

Hiiii everyone, exciting isnt it as we head off on yet another motoring trip! 🥳beeeeep beep!
    Many thanks to our host DCT for doing the honours as always 👏👏👏👏
    Great to see the old gang getting back together again and a great big welcome to new arrivals!
    🎶🎶consider yourself..at home! Consider yourself..one of the family!🎶 ( think it’s from the musical Oliver)
    Hold tight,kiddoes,we’re in for the ride of our lives ! XX

• posted by Verano
    on

Hello. Good to see some new starters joining in … enjoy your journey.
    Well I’ve almost finished listening to the new book and am really interested to know what others think about it, especially those who started with the original Fast 800.
    Caron kind words , thank you, but I’m no light to be following at the moment I’d probably be guiding people to the edge of precipice! Have you tried FatSecret? You can add anything to the database as long as you have the macros. I also find it quite good for adding my own recipes although I’ve not been doing that for ages …. Guilty of guestimating I’m afraid!
    Linda I’m with you when it comes to soup makers. Like you I make huge pans of soup and freeze for later. I thought ‘soup maker’ great, I can make soup as we need it. So I ordered one, it arrived, I read the instructions, packed it back into its box and sent it back! I was so surprised that the ingredients all had to be weighted out precisely, and the recipes followed to the letter just to make a few portions of soup. And then of course the cleaning! They are probably good if you don’t already make soups. It just seemed like far more work to me. Anyway, horses for courses but I know for me it would have been used once then found its way to the back of a cupboard!
    I’m starting tomorrow as Tuesday has been my traditional weigh-in day. Today I’ve started to plan. I think, no I know, my biggest problem has been portion size. I really don’t eat simple carbs but I no longer weigh my food and I know I eat far too much, even if it is the good stuff.
    So back to the beginning …. weigh all ingredients, portion out and work out the macros ….. easy!
    Feeling full of enthusiasm from all your posts, thank you.

on

Hi Linda and Yowzer and welcome on board! I start tomorrow and am so excited 😀

Will keep you posted on my foray into soup making! Tbh I’m not any kind of domestic goddess, and most previous attempts at soup have ended up either as very watery liquid or gloopy paste 🙀 I tend to buy cartons such as Covent Garden but not only are they expensive but I know they have all kinds of additives in them. So I’m hoping that this soup maker – which in theory you just throw in everything from raw and come out with wonderful soup 20 minutes later – might do the trick. Who knows ……

Lovely to see so many on here and I have set myself an initial target of 2lb off this week. Here we go 👍

• posted by wendleg
    on

Hello everyone ! I just wanted to pop in and wish everyone a very happy new year. 2021 really was a year to forget for me with ongoing covid related disruption but we are here, we survived . I hope you and your families are coping and sending warm wishes to you all for a healthy 2022.

I tend to focus on the weekly thread but I will be following you and joining in when I can . I have learnt that I can never be complacent, must never take my eye off the ball and I am always learning !

So the very best to you all. I do believe our online community is very special . Bonds are created, friendships are forged and just to feel understood and supported is so important . So keep going, believe you can do this.Your efforts will pay off because this way of eating really can be life changing .

on

Hi wendleg! Lovely to hear from you. All the very best to you and your family for 2022 X

Completely agree that we are in such a special community. Let’s hope 2022 is a much better year for us all.

Do check in here when you can, and I know many of us on this thread will also be dipping into the weekly threads. Exciting times when hopefully we’ll all be moving towards our goals.

Lots of love XX

• posted by Mariet
    on

Lovely to see so many old and new names on our 100 day trip 🙂
    Today I steeled myself to weigh and measure and I am back where I was in September, at my last reboot that derailed and went nowhere 🙁 Still, I am actually encouraged by that because I thought it was worse.
    Got up early this morning and went for an hour long walk, today is forecast to be another hot and sticky one and I have a virtuous feeling now that it’s done. It was already sticky ay 6.30. I have always enjoyed walking but not going to lie, it felt like a chore today.
    I am halfway through MM’s Keto book and enjoying it though it is not so very different from what I was doing on BSD which was where I started nearly 5 years ago. I am encouraged by the emphasis placed on the time after the initial weight loss though, I floundered with maintenance last time and this structured path out will suit me I think. But that is looking a long way ahead.
    That’s my check in done! I am going to try to post more often this time around, for accountability and the support of the forum. Good luck to all 🙂

• posted by SueBlue
    on

Mariet yes it has been humid & sticky! I went for a walk yesterday from about 8.30am and had to head back earlier than planned as I was too hot and uncomfortable, so I left this morning at 7am which was definitely better, but on my way home at 8am the humidity was building and I was glad I wasn’t just setting out. Humidity is so draining, I don’t sleep very well in this weather, and it definitely makes my joint pain worse.
    Note to some of our newcomers to this thread – Mariet and I live in Australia so it’s mid-summer here 🙂

I’m having a good Day 1 so far. I weighed myself yesterday and had put on 1.2kg In 10 days over Xmas & New Year, so starting weight is 91.1. Not too bad really and a whole 10kg less than this time last year.

I had Cheese on toast for a late breakfast at 10.30am – made with high protein, low carb bread. The brand I buy has 7g carbs and 157 calories for 2 slices, so it fits in to my 50g carb allowance. Then I had some salad for lunch – just boiled egg, ham, olives, tomato, lettuce and cucumber. For dinner tonight I’m most likely going to have lentil curry as I have some leftover in the fridge.

My daughters gave me some lovely flavoured teas for Christmas (as well as some gin cocktail tea bags lol – keeping those for Easter). I’m finding they are a good option when I feel like something sweet.

Hope everyone else is doing well 🙂

on

Hello Everyone- old friends and new.

Good luck to those who are starting today. I think the 100 day journey is a really inspired title and has given so many of us the enthusiasm to make a difference in the next 100 days. Thank you DCT for this inspired title for our journey together. I am so happy to see how many people are joining in and feeling positive and inspired..

I weighed in at 150 lb so have put on 3lb since Christmas Eve. I expected it to be 7lb so am happy I have commenced early in January as that number would definitely be going up and up if i hadn’t got going. I completed day one yesterday and am just having a coffee before heading off to the supermarket to buy veg/salad/protein. As a vegetarian I find it difficult to be flexible with protein but eggs/cottage cheese/nuts are ideal for lunches. I am going to be making more soups, broccoli and Stilton, kale and bean soup, mushroom. I will be incorporating time restricted eating, fasting and a combination of all Michaels weight loss tips. I have been inspired by the latest keto book particularly about upping my protein to 50 g and it seems a more structured way to lose weight with time scales etc. When I embarked on the BSD in 2017 I was very naive and didn’t really know what I was doing, I just cut out all carbs!

I did weigh myself to get started after Christmas but my official weigh day will be on a Friday. I hope by Friday I will be 148 lb so hoping for an initial 2lb loss this week which hopefully is doable. I always find the first three days the most difficult but I am lucky to get into ketosis fairly quickly these days (after years of practice). Once burning fat my hunger goes and I find it so much easier.

I find it really interesting to read what people eat for their meals so please keep posting and sharing any tips. Lunch for me today will be egg and cottage cheese salad. Evening meal will be cauliflower cheese and two quorn sausages. I will have some a Greek Yoghurt and raspberries. I love to heat the raspberries in the microwave and I love the hot and cold mixture!

Have a great day everyone. 99 days to go for me! My goal is to reach goal once and for all!

• posted by caronl
    on

Hi all. Good to read your posts. Verano, I shall try with FatSecret. I just lack the patience to start again with favourite lists etc. But it is worth the time investment.
    Yesterday went pretty well: yoghurt, berries,nuts: avocado and salad for lunch: ham and ratatouille for supper. Probably a bit high on calories given nuts and avocado. FatSecret here I come.
    I do love making ratatouille – a simple tray bake in the oven of a mix of chopped peppers, courgette, aubergine, garlic and a tin of tomatoes with olive oil, bay leaves and other herbs to hand. Roast for about 45 mins to an hour. I have just had some cold for lunch today, and the rest will be whizzed and heated for a thick soup. Yum!

• posted by Jax61
    on

Hi All

2 days done and lost over 4lbs already yay!!! ……although I know it will be mostly water. I planned to go to the gym this morning and then shop for some of the keto recipes in MMs new book. All went to pot as I locked myself out of my house. I have a friend in my village who has a spare key but she was at work so, ended up doing a 7 mile hilly walk to get her house key so I could get mine. I have to say I feel exhausted, but I guess as I’m in my first few days my energy levels will be low. I generally keep pretty active so wasn’t expecting to feel so drained. I need to keep moving in my house now I’m home as I try not to use the heating in the day (it’s sooo expensive now) I may make an exception today and put it on so I can take it easy for a bit.I envy you ladies from Oz, hot and sticky sounds just fine.
    I’m sticking to 2 meals a day within an 8 hour window. I’m not normally hungry in the morning so lunch and dinner works well. I did have a lump of cheese when I got home today as I thought I should get some protein and fat into me after my walk. I too found the more structured approach to carbs and protein useful in MMs new book.
    Sounds like you are all feeling inspired, I know I physically feel so much better when I eat low carb which begs the question ‘why do I let myself do the opposite, when it makes me feel so awful?’
    Just have to keep trying!

• posted by arcticfox
    on

Hi there, checking in on my first official day. My aim for this week is to mainly eat savoury things to try to get control over the sweet tooth I re-developed over the last couple of months. This morning I had some leftover broccoli quiche for breakfast. Had it at 10am as I woke up late and was scrambling to get the horses fed before starting work. Lunch was what I would normally have for breakfast which was greek yogurt with pomegranate, chia and my Vit D drops and lemon flavoured fish oil. Tastier than it sounds. Dinner will be the rest of the quiche. Drinking loads of tea to try to get rehydrated. I shovelled tons of snow yesterday morning as we got about 5cm overnight and I had to clear the drive and down through the property so that the farrier could get in to trim the horses’ feet. Snowing like crazy again now, so probably more clearing to be done this evening. I’m on my lunch break, so will spend the rest of that cleaning up after the horses and then starting the first of my flower seeds for the flower farm. So excited about this. It is -10 C out and snowing, but getting ready for the new farming year already!

• posted by Jennie10
    on

Hi everyone
    arcticfox – that’s some serious hard work there. Hope there wasn’t/isn’t too much more clearing after the second snowfall. That flower farm does sound exciting. What a great time of year for creating something new.
    DCT – thanks for setting up the new thread – I really like the title too – brilliant. I also love your goal – to complete 1 million steps – so if it’s OK with you I’m going to pinch it and make it one of my goals too.
    Do we still have the bus? – hope so as I’ve come on to book a seat! My son is still here on his Christmas visit. He goes back on Sunday and I’ll be here bright and early and eager to join in with everyone on Monday. Meanwhile I’ll think about my goals and start them steps!
    It’s great to see everyone here. I’m really looking forward to starting a lovely, fresh clean new year together.
    Jennie xx

• posted by ADD6605
    on

Hi everyone,checking in on my third day,although yesterday was a better day than my first I’m already feeling the benefits of this woe as feel less bloated.I’ve done a food plan up until Sunday,managing to keep carbs and protein round about 50g,and will plan more days nearer Sunday so that I’m not floundering on Monday!I haven’t managed to fit much exercise in but planning to for rest of the week,Jax and Articfox you’ve both done so much necessary exercise over the last few days,you deserve to have big losses this week!Hope everyone has a good day.Dawn X

on

Morning all. Just a quick check in as life seems to have suddenly become very busy again 🙀

First and foremost well done on your great initial loss Jax61 – that’s such a motivator! Long may it continue.

Arcticfox you sound busy! Where exactly do you live? (I know there’s a clue in the name! Just interested to find out more 😀) Stay safe.

Cathy I’m glad your weight gain was less than you’d hoped. Bodes well for the rest of this journey. You were asking about daily meals, and mine yesterday were smoked salmon & boiled egg for breakfast, turmeric noodle soup for lunch, and baked cod with roast veg for evening meal. All very nice, though I had dinner earlier than usual as I was really hungry and didn’t want to succumb to snacks!

Dawn like you I am taking time to plan for success. My new MM book arrived a couple of days ago so I’m going through the recipes to try some out over the next few days. The soup maker arrived last night so today’s lunch will be the Roasted Mushroom and Garlic Soup from the BSD Recipes section.

Jennie yes please do hop on the million steps challenge. I started the same challenge on another forum back in September but didn’t make it. So I’m determined to do my own challenge on this Easter Journey. Ironically I did lots of steps on Monday – the day before I started – but not so many yesterday. So just need to get into a regular groove! It’ll be lovely to have your company en route!

Hope everyone sees some progress the rest of the week X

• posted by Yowzer49
    on

Hiya bus dwellers! I’m away for a few days,just checking in to congratulate you lot on your great starts!
    LINDA ,I’m like you,ready to join in next week!
    Wanted to say hi to ARCTICFOX lovely to see you and JAX what a fab start! Thanks WENDLeg for popping in,always welcome for a cuppa!
    I need to a) read the new MM book and b) catch up on all the posts here over the next few days! XX
    I’m inspired by you all to continue this journey onwards and downwards Xx!

• posted by JGwen
    on

Hi Everyone, I would like to catch the bus again.

For those who do not know me, I was a regular poster on the forum, but hit a bump in the road in June. I caught a virus , I don’t know if it was Covid because I was too ill to have been thinking logically, I wasn’t in a fit state to drive myself to the nearest testing station, 25 minutes away, so I just spent my time between the couch and bathroom. After a few weeks the cough until you vomit period ended, but it was another 5 months before I got back to not struggling out of breath after just a short walk.

I have been feeling sorry for myself, as while I am not back to the start point, I have regained a lot of inches. – What was getting to me was the feeling that after all this time, if I couldn’t go back to slightly higher than keto levels of carbs without blowing up like a balloon I was obviously never going to get to where I wanted my base body shape to be.

I have spent a couple of hours today watching a few short videos from Dr Bikman, and was cheered up by a section on how inflammation causes insulin resistance. It has sort of clicked with me that I am not a failure, and it was the infection which was stronger than anything I could do with eating control.

It would depress me too much to get on the scales at present. – Instead my target for the next couple of weeks is to starting with a week of fat fasting, and then back to logging with fatsecret, I don’t have the lung capacity at present to reliably use a breathalyser to test for ketones.

I think it will be a while before I get back to counting steps, but it does sound like a good idea, I was thinking it would be nice to go back to swimming during my weekly visit to town.

on

Hello everyone
    Good to see you’re joining us next week Yowser- I love your humour and words of wisdom for us all.
    JGwen- so lovely to see you’re back with us too and so sorry to hear how poorly you have been. Well done for getting back on the bus and from what you’ve said, you’ve been really quite poorly so I think you should take things slowly and concentrate on nourishing your body back to health. The low carb way of eating will help you I am sure. Nice to see you back.
    Wendleg thank you for popping by to say hello and for your kind and inspiring words.
    Caronl – your ratatouille tray bake sounds delicious- I’m going to steal that idea and have it with some Halloumi!
    Some great weight losses being recorded already this week! Well done everyone for getting into the swing of things so quickly!
    I’ve been back at work today and I was absolutely starving! I had some Greek yoghurt before work and for lunch I had a crustless quiche and some salad. I knew as soon as I had eaten my lunch that I was still hungry! I felt like a drug addict coming off the sugar today. I have had some roasted sprouts and a couple of vegetarian sausages for my evening meal and a high protein yoghurt. I am so tired tonight after working all day today and it was so cold in the vaccination centre. I find that don’t sleep well when I restart low carb- just don’t feel tired when I go to bed. Hopefully I will be in ketosis tomorrow so I will feel less hungry. I could easily have blown it today it I am glad I was strong!

• posted by caronl
    on

So many posts here and on the weekly thread – it is difficult to keep up!
    First a big welcome to JGwen, so pleased to see you back, but really sorry to hear how ill you have been. Very best wishes for 2022 and that you soon start to feel back on track. Cathy I am always impressed by those who are combining this woe with a work routine. Good for you. DCT How was the soup?
    I am plugging on – managed to decline a slice of gingerbread and a piece of Dutch apple pie today. It felt powerful! I haven’t really encountered carb flu this time because of the painkillers for my back so that’s a silver lining.
    Yesterday I had roast beef with left over ratatouille, then fasted until brunch today. That wasn’t really the plan, but it felt good that I could do it. Today was the usual yoghurt and berries, Mediterranean soup with grated cheese (OK I confess it was the rest of the ratatouille whizzed up!). Tonight pork chop with carrots and mushrooms. Haven’t weighed myself yet, but I do feel less bloated, and certainly less heartburn – definitely an improvement.
    Onwards and hopefully downwards.

• posted by Jax61
    on

Hi All
    I too have been wondering where Arctic Fox lives. I have always wanted to live somewhere that has a snowy winter.
    I was very sorry to hear about your illness JGwen, it sounds horrendous. Hopefully you are coming out the other side now.
    ClarinetCathy, well done on your work at the vaccination centre. I retired from the NHS in July 20 but went back to set up our local vaccination centre. I loved doing it and it was a priviledge to be involved. I do remember how cold it was and shivering in my coat!
    I have a question. I have started to log my food on my fitness pal but it doesn’t like anything under 1000 cals a day. Is there something I can use that works with this diet?
    I went to body pump tonight and am horrified that my muscle strength has deteriorated hugely. I hate pump classes but I know I must do some weights and resistance training as it’s hugely important when older.

• posted by JGwen
    on

Jax61, have a look at fatsecret app. Its free and has no calorie minimum.

• posted by arcticfox
    on

Hi everyone,
    An ok day for me. Quite a stressful day at work as I’m back on emergency support and I was doing loads of paperwork that is totally new to me. Don’t want to mess it up when the people at the other end have been through so much. I definitely had chocolate cravings by early afternoon, but I didn’t have any in the house, so too bad for me. I’m even running out of cocoa powder, so I’m rationing it. I made a pledge to eat out of my store cupboard and freezer for January, so I’m not going shopping for more cocoa just yet.
    For those wondering where I am, I’ve always been a bit mum about that, but outed myself to some on this forum this year as being from British Columbia due to our natural disasters (scorching heat, devastating wildfires, massive and catastrophic flooding), which apparently hit the international news. At least in the UK, Australia and France. We still haven’t recovered from the flooding. My old office building was under water and experienced structural damage, so no one has been able to go back there to work yet. Major highways are still either closed or only open to commercial traffic. Not a great time of year for travelling anyway with the extreme cold and winter weather we’ve got now, so it’s just as well, and at least the supermarkets are back to being nearly 100% stocked again.
    Jax – you might like it here this year. We’ve got at least 60cm of snow on the ground at the moment, and another 20cm in the forecast over the next 2 days. That’s a lot more shovelling that will need to be done! Another sub -20C night tonight, but then it should warm up into single digits during the day after that which will feel positively tropical after the sub -30 C days we were having a couple of weeks ago. It’s not much fun when it is that cold. I had to try to remember not to remove my gloves when I was trying to do farm chores where I normally would remove them, because my skin would start to burn on contact with the cold air.

• posted by SueBlue
    on

Hello everyone 🙂
    It’s great to read so many posts!
    I haven’t started ‘properly’ yet as I really wanted to start with the Fast 800 Keto plan but my book didn’t arrive until late yesterday. I had put off putting in my online grocery order until I had the book and the meal plans. I didn’t have time to read the book last night but quickly jumped to the recipes and ordered lots of random ingredients! A lot of the other ones I already have or already order regularly anyway. So I was looking forward to starting properly tomorrow, when my grocery order comes. But I just got an email notification for unavailable items and there are SO many! And so many unsuitable (for me) substitutes… I’m sure they try their best but it gets a little frustrating at times when you have to wait another week or two before being able to get an ingredient. I will have to tweak some of the recipes I think 🤔.

Today wasn’t too bad, I had my booster injection yesterday and felt a bit rough today, feverish & achy and just generally unwell, so I kept my meals simple. I made scrambled eggs with smoked salmon, feta and avocado from the new book and had that for brunch, then at dinner time I really didn’t feel well enough to cook so heated up a tin of vegetable soup from my pantry and had a cup of that with some low carb toast. Not quite on plan but at least I was able to keep calories low and carbs under 50g.
    Tonight I really felt like ice cream (my throat is a little sore) but had a cup of eggnog flavoured tea instead – lots of flavour, soothing on the throat and minimal calories 🙂
    I haven’t exercised as much as I’d like to have this week. I had a long walk on Monday, a 1 hour one on Tuesday, but none yesterday or today. If I feel better tomorrow I’ll go for a walk during my lunch break, I’d prefer to go early morning but I have my online order coming then.

Tomorrow is Friday which is my regular weigh in day. I’ll weigh in even though I haven’t ‘properly’ started yet. At the very least I will have maintained my weight since Monday, and possibly will have lost a little.

Now I’m off to read my new book! Then I can plan the next few days meals. I really want to stay on plan for at least the first 2 weeks, including no wine 🍷 (eeek!). Happy Scales is predicting I’ll be at goal on 9 June – this is at 1/2kg per week, so I hope to be well on the way to goal by the end of this trip 🙂

Take care all, it’s getting a bit crazy out there!

on

JGwen!! It’s lovely to have you back again. We have all really missed you. But I’m so sorry to hear how ill you have been. It sounds awful and I’m glad that you are now on the road to recovery. I hope that we will be good company for you on this journey and help to lift your spirits as well as encourage your renewed low carb eating. But as Cathy has said, take it steadily: the most important thing now is to build up your strength and immune system again.

Arcticfox thanks for sharing more about your life. What a time you’ve been having! I’m just glad you are ok, even though I don’t envy you the daily snow management routines 🙃 But it sounds spectacular.

Jax61 it’s funny you should post about the minimum 1000 calorie limit on My Fitness Pal, as I’d noticed yesterday the same thing with Fitbit. Thanks for the tip off about Fatsecret JGwen.

Sue I’ve done the same as you with the new book, just skimmed through quickly then gone through the recipes. I’ll be off shopping today, and hope I have more success than you do. To be honest though, many of the recipes are very similar to what is in his other books so there weren’t too many major revelations. But nice to have some new ideas and, as someone else said earlier, the calorie limits and recipes seem to be perhaps a little more lenient than before?

Well the soupmaker didn’t get christened yesterday. I took the dog for a very long walk (great for the steps!) and ran out of time, so just had a mug of miso soup instead. This morning it will be a case of brunch late morning as I have an early afternoon appointment and plan to go out around midday to get shopping on the way.

I had mostly a good day yesterday: scrambled egg for breakfast, miso soup for lunch, and a prawn stir fry with lentil noodles for dinner. I confess to then having 2 plastic cups of wine at a gig in the evening as hubby kindly offered to drive. But still hoping to make my 2lb off target by tomorrow. Will report back in due course . . . .

• posted by Verano
    on

Good to ‘see’ you JGwen. Sorry you’ve been so unwell but as others have said be kind to yourself and take things slowly.

• posted by Mariet
    on

Lots and lots of posts! It’s great to see so many on our bus.
    I’m feeling pretty good, sticking to carbs, proteins and cals so far. Lots of water and lots of walking.
    I’ve been doing pseudo push ups for 6 months, leaning forward about 3 feet from the kitchen bench and doing 24 bench push ups and it’s not easy but also not hard. Now I’m doing planks as well and that is HARD! Started at 25 seconds, now 35 seconds. Not much but it’s killing my abs 😂 but I hadn’t realised I still have abs so win win.
    I’m enjoying salads, not usually a salad fan but they have been delicious in the humid weather that is summer in Sydney.

Arctic Fox, I’m glad to know where you live because I’ve wondered about that over the years. Jgwen, good to see you in the group but I’m sorry you haven’t been well. I hope you are in a better place soon.

• posted by Yowzer49
    on

Hi 100 day- ers!
    MARIET SUEBLUE and all Oz friends,another friend in Oz tells me youre having floods/ heavy rain. Hope you’re all ok over there X
    Take care folks and be happy! XX have a good day/ good night. XX

• posted by Tracy Adams
    on

Hi
    I’m in Australia and have just found this forum. In the morning its 100 days till Easter Sunday. So here goes.
    3 years ago I was 160 pounds. I got down to 136 pounds in about 9 months using the 5:2 diet. Since then I have crept back to 144 pounds and it is time to lose the last bit of weight. I should be about 126 pounds (9st). Not expecting to be there by Easter but that’s ok. I feel I need to do the 800 cal plan for a little while and then see.
    Take care everyone and good luck. Tracy

• posted by Yowzer49
    on

Welcome TRACY! Good to have you on the bus! X🌷🌷🌷
    MARIET I’m impressed by yr planks etc! 👍👍ive just had a longish walk, took a leaf out of DCTs book! (My hips and lower back are now complaining ) but that’s about as far as I ever get exercise wise.

• posted by Yowzer49
    on

Just playing catch up ..
    JENNIE!yes! We v much still have a bus,it’s bursting at the seams with passengers!🥳 your seat is safe ( I’m rejoining monday too,as is LINDA ANDHUBBY) …..enjoy the rest of DS’s visit x
    JGWEN,sorry you’ve been so ill,sounds like you’ve had a miserable time.
    My DD s been left with some longish term lung damage after covid….she feels taking L-cysteine supplements may have helped..they were recommended by a friend who swears by them.
    Be gentle with yourself! It’s good to have you back!👍
    Hiiii DAWN! You sound so organised! Hope the sparkly charts up on the fridge! Hope your folks are well?x
    Well done CARONL on resisting the goodies ( baddies😁)x
    CCATHY I’m so sorry you were cold in work,they shd look after you guys all doing such great work.
    VERANO,we can do it! We’ve done it before and we can do it again! We’ll kick that Carb Monster to the kerb! 😁
    I feel like a complete impostor here at the moment,will be very glad to join y’all properly on Monday! Will read the new MM book over the weekend! XX

on

Hello everyone
    A cold and wet/sleety day here in the North West of England. It’s lovely to be part of this inclusive group.
    Tracy- welcome to the 100 day bus journey and I have no doubt that you will enjoy riding with us all towards your goal. You are a similar weight to Dreamscometrue and me and we have a similar goal so it will be great to share our progress along the way. I really want to get the bulk of my excess baggage off by Easter- this seems to have been a perpetual journey for me and I am getting fed up of myself!

I had coffee for breakfast and had scrambled eggs with cheese for lunch and my evening meal is ratatouille with cannelloni beans and Halloumi. My husband is vegan and so I’ve added cannellini beans in the ratatouille and his portion will have vegan cheese and mine will have Halloumi. I am trying to make us both something healthy every evening that incorporates low carb/protein/vegan and vegetarian! Not easy!

Not in ketosis yet so hopefully tomorrow I’ll be burning fat. All those crisps and chocolates I ate at Christmas are still swishing around my body! I’m not working this hard to get rid of the sugar to cheat so it’s onwards and downwards for me. Weigh day tomorrow- I’ll post my post Christmas weight and hope to be a little under 150 lb!

• posted by Jax61
    on

Hi All, it’s day 5 for me and all going well. Not feeling to hungry at all.

The weather patterns are really up the creek, globally. We so need to get on top of the global warming issues. My heart goes out to anyone subject to flooding, gales and the terrible fires that Australia, cakafornia etc have had.

Thanks for the suggestion of fat secret JGwen, I will give it a go.. Mariet, you have inspired me to do planks and push ups each day. I used to do them. The plank is great for abs….if only I could find them!!

Please log in or register to post a reply.