1 week gone

We have not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you are have any health related symptoms or concerns, you should contact your doctor who will be able to give you advice specific to your situation.

• posted by fletchrf
    on

Hi there. One week gone, and 10lb down. Feeling tired though. Still, determined to press on. I sat with my family, all of whom are diabetic and me sat there at nearly 18 stone. I thought I’ve got to do something drastic to prevent the same happening to me, or at least reduce the odds in my favour. I’ve been supported by my wife, but most others are sceptical predicting a bounce back when I stop. Most of them have weight problems, and I suspect they don’t want me to succeed because they aren’t doing anything about it. Following the menu plan religiously, and must say I’m surprised at how filling the meals are. My real struggle is the loss of sweeteners in my coffee. Sparkling water’s OK, but coffee is simply not the same.

• posted by Patsy
    on

Wow, 10 lbs is amazing! Well done. Maybe you’ll inspire some of your family to try this approach once they realise you are succeeding?

• posted by fletchrf
    on

Thanks Patsy. It would be nice to think so but I somehow don’t think so. My brother must be 27 stone and now on insulin,still no noticeable change in his diet.

• posted by Esnecca
    on

That’s awful, fletchrf. It must be difficult to be surrounded by so much negativity and paralysis when you’re working hard to regain control of your health. Thankfully your wife is behind you 100%, and on the day-to-day, that is the support that counts the most. My OH can eat what he wants, but he goes along with all my strictures cheerfully and appreciatively. It makes a huge difference.

Congratulations on your magnificent first week loss! Shut out the naysayers and enjoy having pried off that 10-pound barbell that’s been glued to your body for however long. Many more barbells will follow it.

• posted by fletchrf
    on

Thank you so much

• posted by sunshine-girl
    on

Hi fletchrf, most people who go on a ‘diet’ do gain it all back and more. That is because they are on a ‘diet’, they lose what they are happy with or for a special occasion or a holidlay then go back to the old way of eating, it’s not rocket science. Hopefully, with all the health benefits in mind, this will become a lifestyle and a way of eating of your choice. When I was on a diet I had low fat yoghurt for breakfast, watery lettuce, tomato, cucumber and tuna salad for lunch with low fat salad cream. Then for dinner I had homemade soup usually made from carrots, stock cube and water. Sure I lost weight but oh boy was I miserable and I was hungry so would make myself a tuna and low fat salad cream sandwich late at night, undoing all my miserable days dieting. I would stare at my soup and want to cry. Now I have scrambled eggs, grilled mushroom or full fat satisfying Greek yog for brekkie, any of numerous lunch meal choices (something different every day) and a satisfying dinner, tonight it was chicken stir fry with bean sprouts, last night we had roasted chicken breast with roasted asparagus and red pepper, and I say we because hubby eats practically the same as I do, but he had pasta (he is allowed) and I had brown lentils and courgette swirls. Always something different and always something to look forward to. Tomorrow we are having left over Beef Goulash. Just remember to eat well as this is not a diet. Do get the official recipe book for ideas.

Happily your wife is on board so why are you worrying about other people. You are right, they cant do it so they are going to knock your efforts. Your success will be your reward. They will never put the weight back on because they will never lose it in the first place and they will get bigger. You wont. Good luck.

• posted by fletchrf
    on

Thanks Sunshine-girl. I understand, but just wanted to share what was happening with some people who would understand. You do. Thanks

• posted by sunshine-girl
    on

we have your back fletchrf, stick with us, especially if you are stuggling. Keep on keeping on…

• posted by SunnyB
    on

Hey fletchrf – a great result for week one! You can’t take on all the problems of those around you and right now, you need to concentrate on you and your goals. It seems you have the support of your nearest and dearest, so grab that with both hands and forge ahead. Sunshine-girl is right, those who will maintain their loss, will be those who can take on board that this is a complete lifestyle change and not just a ‘diet’.

For now though, take a day at a time and do what you need to do to achieve your goals. To help keep you focused, set yourself a mini-goal on the mini-goal thread on the forum. And lots of folks on the forum will be more than happy to offer advise, support and encouragement, so shout when you need us.

Good luck!

• posted by fletchrf
    on

Thank you. I’m feeling fine. I just wanted to talk to someone who is trying to change their life in the same significant way.

Please log in or register to post a reply.