Surely this is not low carb? Be good to have calorie content as well as carb content please & thanks
This is one of those wonderful simple dishes that tastes so much better than the sum of its parts. Basic goodness, filling, economical.
• 2 cups brown lentils
• 8 cups chicken broth (preferably homemade) or vegetable broth to make it vegan / vegetarian
• 1 large onion, grated
• 2 teaspoons freshly ground cumin seeds
• salt and freshly ground black pepper to taste
• 2 tablespoons freshly squeezed lemon juice
• croutons or herbs to garnishExtra-virgin olive oil for drizzling
Wash the lentils under cold running water picking out any stones.
Bring the broth to a boil in a large saucepan and add the lentils and onion. When the broth returns to a boil, reduce the heat to low, cover, and simmer for 1 hour. Do not stir.
Add the cumin and season with salt and pepper. Taste to check the seasoning.
At this point you can decide how chunky or smooth you want you soup to be. I look to puree half with a stick blender right in the pot so that it is thick with chunky bits of onion and lentil.
Stir in the lemon juice. Taste again to check the seasoning and add whatever it needs.
Serve with a drizzle of extra virgin olive oil on top, some chopped herbs or crunchy bits (normally it would have fried pieces of pita....but alas, not for us at this point).