Zero noodles

We have not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you are have any health related symptoms or concerns, you should contact your doctor who will be able to give you advice specific to your situation.

• posted by Seadog
    on

I’m just looking through various websites to see what is around, and I’ve come across something called ‘Zero noodles’ which are made from plant fibre and carb free. Does anyone have any experience of these, as they aren’t cheap !!. It would be nice to have them in the cupboard if they work, to have with a stir fry etc.

• posted by emma67
    on

Hi
    Never heard of them but we tried vegetable doodles made from butternut quosh just open bag and heat in micro, sainsbury £1.20 per bag Hubby had them with chilli and I had mine with tuna and salad…tasty too. they also make ones from courgette ! havent tried them yet!

• posted by Janet1973
    on

Hi Seadog,
    They are called Bare Naked noodles. They are a root veg called konjac, pronounced konyac. No carbs, virtually no cals but high in protein and fibre. They make a very good replacement for pasta and chinese noodles, there is also a rice version. I buy mine from Morrisons, they are £2 a bag, serves 2. They come in a bag of water which you rinse off. Strangely, the water smells fishy but once you’ve rinsed them that goes away. They only take a few minutes to boil, stir fry or microwave. I believe ishitake noodles are the same thing. Definitely worth experimenting with.

• posted by Emjomo
    on

I’ve tried them too and thought they were nice, wished I’d remembered them when I did the chicken coconut stir fry

• posted by Avocado73
    on

does anyone notice if they eat zero noodles it slows weight loss.. I’m eating cauli and broccoli rice and a change would be good:)

• posted by SunnyB
    on

Hi Avocado – I have used zero noddles and can’t say I have noticed a slowing in weight loss, but then I only eat them very occasionally and hadn’t thought to look at whether they have any adverse affect. Hopefully someone who uses them on a regular basis will be able to offer a more useful and educated comment about the result of frequently using them.

I personally don’t feel the need to replace the now eliminated carby meal elements, preferring to bulk meals with extra
    ordinary veggies or salad, rather that ‘rice’ or ‘veg-ghetti’. The one exception I make is cauli mash, which I love.

• posted by sixturkeys
    on

I bought a pack of Bare Naked noodles. As yet unopened. I am a bit put off by the rather prominent warning under the nutrition info table: “CAUTION: choking can occur…when ingesting without adequate fluid”….I do live alone…..Thursdays are now I am semi retired my one day in the office. Although I have a batch of soup, I thought I’d look in M&S for something else after battling home on London underground). The “Plant based” range includes sweet potato Katsu curry. I think abt 500 cals. It was actually reading Allie’s posts that now make me turn the pack over and look at the more detailed breakdown. Well that one pack (single serving) was 79.2 g carbs….So that stayed on shelf. I have also found in my local Tesco’s (just above the counter where you can fill your own pots with olives, sundried toms etc,) a range by The Artisan Bread Company. Black Olive Flatbreads (more a dried cracker). Comes in pack of 75g and each flatbread is abt 17g (and quite a decent size). As per pack, 100g has 410 cals and 6.2g carbs. I have not done the precise maths, but they are tasty and just one delivers a nice crackery crunch and nibbling in small bites actually quite satisfying! But I know each carb counts!

• posted by sixturkeys
    on

I also have no idea how to create a new topic, but did see orchids in a recent thread. I recently read about the McBeans orchid nursery in the UK; about to close after over 100 years, but a customer stepped in. I do feel for the phala -etc which are churned out in supermarkets, at a silly price, especially those fed on inky water to turn an unnatural shade of blue…I might head down there to buy some carefully nurtured prime specimens! or mail order!

• posted by Patricia1066
    on

I’m looking at the label on m&s 4 gluten free super seeded sandwich thins. The front shows each thin has 134 cal, no carbohydrates data, the back saying that portion size 4, then giving nutrition values per 100g.
    Carbohydrates 26.3g of which fibre is 11g, sugar 0.8%
    The only common element to back and front tables is fat – 1 thin 5.6g, 100g has 11g.
    The package states it is 200g, but on my scales it is 250g.
    Net carbohydrates per 100g is 15.3g
    A thin is 62.5g (250 /4) so the net carbohydrates equals 39g (got my calculator out)
    This is higher than my favourite brown soda bread which I am abstaining from while on the fast diet..
    Also off putting is the rice flour, as very triggering to the insulin resistant. This at least was clearly labelled.
    How difficult do they make it to know how many carbs are in a piece of bread?

• posted by sixturkeys
    on

I agree ! is your favourite soda bread the one with the chef beginning with R? 50 years ago I remember going to stay on the family farm in Ireland, County Wexford. The best soda bread turned out each morning by my great-aunt. There is nothing better with butter and honey but now reserving that for high days and holidays.

• posted by Patricia1066
    on

No it’s m&s own brand brown soda bread at 12g carbs per slice. Can I stop at 1 though?
    I’m just looking for an alternative that is low carb but I will have to bake my bread.
    Maybe I’ll create a almond flour soda bread. I imagine that would have a great flavour as it benefits by being nutty.

• posted by Patricia1066
    on

Hi 5 turkies (well done), just read your post about the olive flatbread from Tesco. Online the carb content per 100g is 62g not 6.2g, that pesky tiny print. So each crispbread is 10.5g carbohydrate.
    (62 X 17g /100)
    They are on special offer today 2 for £2 for cheese and chilli flavour.

• posted by sixturkeys
    on

Oh Patricia you are completely right! I need to lose more turkeys and get new specs! So, as I was saying….avoid the flatbreads….Thank you for the key editing!

• posted by Patricia1066
    on

I think my calculations went awry on my thins, don’t know how I came up with 39g carb per thin. It’s more than the soda bread so I am not going to eat them.
    But something to look out for, Sainsbury’s have North Staffordshire Oatcakes only 30g carb per 100g. Package of 6 costs 90p.
    Trying to bake with almond flour could cost a fortune.

• posted by Jennie10
    on

Hi Patricia,
    Just saw your post about almond flour. I’ve only used it a few times to make parmesan seed crackers (got the recipe from here – delicious and something crunchy!) Anyway, I bought my almond flour when it was on special offer at Holland & Barratt (UK). Even then it was pricey. I then saw on another site a few people mention how they use ground almonds – a couple said they blitz them a bit when they get them home and they work fine. Apparently much cheaper. Haven’t tried it myself yet, though. Somebody else said they get almond and coconut flour from an Asian supermarket – again much cheaper.
    sixturkeys – love your name – and to be able to drop the turkeys as you go – brilliant. Counting down Jennie 10, 9 , 8 isn’t quite the same.
    Jennie

Aaaaah – soda bread, glad I’m just about to eat.

• posted by Patricia1066
    on

I’m not missing sugar at all, nor chocolate, but soda bread.. I’ll look for nut flour in my local Asian supermarket. Good thought.

• posted by WoodDuckie
    on

Hi Patricia1066!! Just read yours (and other) posts re bread/carbs with interest . . . sounds like the sweet tooth craver isnt in your corner which is great! However dare I observe . . . maybe the LowGI carb is! Ive just checked soda bread . . . and with ordinary flour used, carb = 1/5. When ground almonds are used, the number of carbs (ie due to quantity of “flour” needed ) – can increase dramatically. Not sure where you reside but I found a bread in Aldi’s which is branded 85% less carb – and carries just 2.5grms per slice. And to reference . . . . many here are limiting to <20gms a day . . .
    Two of my biggest albatrosses were crispbreads, and oatmeal . . . blowing my BSL’s out of the ballpark but supposedly acceptable on diabetic “diets”. Well “diets” conjure up pictures of a short stay doing the “thing” and then it will be time for me to go back to . . . BSD is more a lifestyle change . . . with an 8 week gateway to begin the journey. Thats why maintenance and other steps are showing the way when we get the hang of it. I had a slice of this delicious bread which I toasted, topped with scrambled egg and a doorstep of butter . . . YUMMMM!! Given it is quite possibly a month or six weeks since I had the combination . . . with anticipation, I sat down to savour the – (once inseparable combo) – meal. Sad part is . . .? I didnt even enjoy the toast. In fact, I barely noticed its flavour or contribution. It was almost like it wasnt even on the plate . . . so I concur, I no longer have a taste for my last remaining LowGI carb food. A couple of slices remain in my freezer in case of guests’ need . . . otherwise I wont be needing/wanting to buying again 🙂

• posted by Patricia1066
    on

Hi woodduckie, yes I admit to obsession with soda bread at the moment. And porridge.
    I’m adjusting to the change in belief that eggs and bacon are not just for occasional meals, but healthy of themselves.

I signed up for dietdoctor, as I think their mission is worth supporting, the meal plan I’m now trying out is #21 which is below 20

I had a taste of my favourite tortilla chips yesterday, it disgusted me, and I happily binned them. I think this way of eating is retraining my taste buds, and good food is the only thing I want. I just need to review my prejudices against eating a meal without carbs on the plate.

Please log in or register to post a reply.