Yoghurt and Dairy

We have not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you are have any health related symptoms or concerns, you should contact your doctor who will be able to give you advice specific to your situation.

• posted by MrX
    on

Hello. I have started the BSD and am reading around it. It makes sense to me but there are still a few issues I am trying to understand.
    I am aiming to keep my carbs between 20-50g a day-Not sure which will best suit me yet or be most practical or achievable. I am still finding my feet.
    I had planned to have yoghurt for breakfast with berries. I can even make my own yoghurt. However, if I wanted a portion of 200g or more that could be a 10-12 carb chunk. Everything is a trade-off, I suppose, but egg and some bacon won’t be as much, I don’t think. The problem with this is, I am not sure where I am going to get my calcium from as I don’t like milk on its own and the Nesquicks in the bin!
    That said could this be another myth like eat as much fruit as you like and avoid fatty foods now appear to be!

• posted by WindyJulz
    on

Hi MrX.
    I’m only on day 17 being strict 800 calories, but i did follow the principles before had. I did used to have a yogurt with berries or a chopped up apple almost every day as i really enjoyed it and found it filling. However, since deciding to give 800 calories some commitment, and keeping carbs below 50g, i have found that i prefer to have no breakfast, and I have given up apples completely as the carbs are just too high. I have had an occasional yogurt but it does push calories and carbs up. If i do that i have some cinnamon sprinkled in it rather than fruit. I have also found a handful of berries with ground ginger is a good replacement but i wont have that on days i have a yogurt. You are quite right- its a bit of a ‘trade off’ but i try not to think of it like that, i just plan what i’m going to have and make sure it fits, if its over i find something to knock off the list – usually yogurt, fruit or cheese!

In terms of calcium….. keep your leafy greens up and that should help, I have a bit of milk or cream in coffee, if you are having nuts at all that would help with the calcium too. In fact yogurt and nuts would be better than yogurt and fruit. Go full fat yogurt and maybe just a smaller serving? (I’m difficult as the only nuts i like a pecans…. I need to broaden this aspect of my tastes!)
    Hope that helps a little.

• posted by MrX
    on

Yes it does JGwen. Thanks.
    I have had to count apples out too sadly! But I love cheese and being able to have that is a welcome bonus.

• posted by MrX
    on

Sorry. I meant to say thanks WindyJulz.

• posted by WindyJulz
    on

Totally agree re cheese – delighted I can still have some.
    Its taken some mental adjustment, and accurate recording of info, to see that apples are a no go, and an apple – baked or with yogurt – or both – would be a massive treat some time in the future. How my mind has changed!

• posted by MrX
    on

Yes. Agree about the recording. Only day two here and weighing everything and writing down portion size, carbs and calories like a swot!

• posted by SunnyB
    on

Hello Mr X, being a swot is no bad thing while setting out on the BSD! I kept a spreadsheet for months.
    You will find as you get accustomed to this way of eating, that you can feel satisfied with less yogurt than you might normally have …. so 100g (or less) rather than 200g. Opt for berries rather than apples, pears etc as berries are lower in carbs. Broccoli is very good for calcium, so with other green leafy veg and some cheese you should be okay on that front too.
    It’s all a learning curve and you will soon settle into it and find how best to make adjustments to suit you.
    There is a weekly thread where you can tap into lots of experienced based knowledge. Feel free to join in and ask questions there and you will find plenty of advice and support offered.

• posted by MrX
    on

Thanks SunnyB. That helps.

• posted by PTR
    on

Interesting how different people focus on different areas within the same framework!

When I did the 8 week 800 calorie diet I focused primarily on calories and only really looked at the carb element of food in relation to sugars.

For example, my daily breakfast was 40g of porridge which is 24g of carbohydrates – but less than 0.5g of sugar. I don’t think I calculated any carb intake at all during the diet.

I worked like this across pretty much all areas of my intake and iI must have been doing something right as I lost my target 10kg in the 8 weeks!

• posted by Britta
    on

MrX
    I don’t drink milk, but I do have greek yoghurt for breakfast once or twice a week for the probiotics. 100g is about two large tablespoons. I add berries and seeds. It seemed a ridiculous portion at first, but after a couple of weeks I’ve got used to it. I use a smaller bowl. But I’m thinking from your name that you might be male and I should say that my husband has two or three times that amount. 2 tbsp of greek yoghurt is a bit of a girly portion…

• posted by MrX
    on

Hello Britta. Yup a bloke. So far so good. Weight coming off well. I imagine it will slow down in due course. I am trying to stay under 20g of carbs as well as stick to the 800 calories to give me, what I perceive, as the best chance to lose weight quickly. Of course, different approaches will work for others. I am never really hungry between meals now, which I find strange, but the fatty food doesn’t always agree with me but I am hoping that changes. The non-fatty food didn’t agree with me for decades! I piled on the weight. I am trying to cyle 30-60 minutes a day and do it before food so, notionally, I should give myself the best opportunity of being ‘ in the zone” re fat burning.

Please log in or register to post a reply.