Wow – two weeks in and what a difference!!

We have not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you are have any health related symptoms or concerns, you should contact your doctor who will be able to give you advice specific to your situation.

• posted by kankan888
    on

Two weeks ago I started on the blood sugar diet, given I know that if I didn’t make some changes, I was walking into diabetes for sure. My dad has diabetes, has had a heart attack and just been diagnosed with cancer, and I had gestational diabetes with my daughter (who is now 8). Being 22kg overweight (according to a BMI calculator – not 100% accurate but a good start), and having tried every diet going over the last 8 years to try and lose my baby weight, I knew I needed to take some drastic action.

I decided that a quick fix wasn’t the answer, and wanted something based on logic as well as scientific evidence so that I could really believe in it. I came across information about the blood sugar diet in the Daily Mail and just knew it was what I was looking for. Having got the book immediately, I ordered a blood sugar monitor and started the next day.

Since starting two weeks ago, I have lost 3.4kg and an inch from my waist, but that pales into insignificance compared to how I feel. I have loads more energy, I am trying new (very simple but tasty) recipes which I can give to my husband and children (with a few more calories), people have noticed that I look happier, my shape is starting to change (thanks to at least 5 exercise classes a week), and I am so motivated because it feels almost effortless, and the obvious thing to do.

I’m logging everything on MyFitnessPal which has re-educated me with portion sizes, and this has become a nightly habit to put in my meals for the next day, so I am planning ahead rather than just eating what I can find.

I can’t thank Michael enough for the simple concept, sound scientific evidence and family friendly meals that have revolutionised my life and health (although I’ve still got a way to go.

• posted by Debsym62
    on

Well done, it is great to get something that works. Hard sticking to it but I think the strictness helps.

• posted by Zandranna
    on

Wonderful Kankan. I am so pleased for you. I love myfitnesspal. For me it’s been a great help also.

• posted by BadDieter
    on

Putting stuff into myfitnesspal the night before is a great idea. Never thought of that and I’m terrible at doing it after!

• posted by bruce
    on

hi all, very encouraging to hear the stories here. I have never used myfitnesspal or any other app for exercise or calorie monitoring, so do you need to measure the portions of everything you’re going to eat and log that in somehow? Not a total luddite but just no clue as to how they work and how much time it takes to give them enough information to tell me something useful. Would love to hear from some experts!

• posted by Aliba
    on

Hi Bruce
    I’m far from an expert but I do use Myfitnesspal. You can look up what ever it is you are eating and it will usually have a near idea. I’m not totally strict on it but it can record an average chicken breast or a cup of green beans or a tablespoon of something. It’s helpful to keep track of what you are eating and there is a free version of the app. You can also record weight loss.
    It might be good to give it a go…it certainly isn’t difficult to use and you can weigh and measure as much as you like
    Good luck

• posted by Kitty Malne
    on

I’m at the very start of my weightloss, day 2 , but feel encouraged by how well others are doing. My story very similar to beginning of thread, determined to give myself a fighting chance 👍

• posted by pmshrink
    on

Hi Bruce
    I would really encourage you to put your own foods in My Foods in Myfitnesspal, which is a bit of work but its just once then you’ve got them. The other list is everybody else’s idea of correct cals etc. Often wrong and usually in ‘cups’. I use Calorieking to find the cals and other info. Using two devices is best so you can read it on one and write it in on the other!
    It’s best to put 100g or 10 g then it’s easy to put on a larger or smaller amount eg an 80 g Apple is .8 of a 100 g portion etc. Also setMy Foods as the default search so you don’t get that annoying stuff, or always press MyFoods before you search, then it will search your own list.
    Sorry a lot of detail but I’ve had to work all this out over a long time!
    There are some confusing things at first. Just ask me I ll probably know as been using it for 2 years.
    Good luck with the diet.

• posted by pmshrink
    on

Hi Kitty
    Welcome to BSD!
    Good luck with your diet.
    Penny.

• posted by bruce
    on

Thanks for the information and encouragement Aliba and pmshrink. I’ve downloaded the app now and will check it out this morning. I have had success before by keeping a food diary in an actual book so will have to decide how much advantage the app gives me. I will certainly be putting the 10g measures in, as multiplication is much simpler that division for the most part, great tip – thanks!
    OK, tomorrow is the kick off day since I have a big party to go to this evening, looking forward to bumping into people here again!

• posted by Tryer
    on

I am also 2 and a half weeks into the programme and have reduced my 7 day blood suger average from 11 to 7.7 , however I am experiencing dizzy spells in the morning and a light head at times during the day , this has happened over the last 3 days Any relationship or should I look elsewhere ??

• posted by pmshrink
    on

Hi Tryer
    Are you on meds? Could you be having too much now your sugars lower? Because those are possible low sugar symptoms.
    Penny

• posted by Yumelda24
    on

I’m two weeks in and have lost 1 stone so far, feeling great and pretty positive about the 3 1/2 stone to go. Thanks for the tip about entering the meals a day in advance on MyFitnessPal – that has worked well for me too. Anyone else getting irritated by its messages each day that you are not eating enough…?!

• posted by pmshrink
    on

Hi Yumelda
    You’re doing well!
    Have you set your calories on MFP to 800? I did that and don’t get any messages. I’ve also set it so it doesn’t take off my exercise and add more calories.
    Penny

• posted by Natasha_ENFP
    on

Hi Kankan 888,

Amazing! Well done you!

I am also 2-weeks into the bsd and cannot believe the difference in everything so far! The word ‘life-changing’ is somewhat overused, but this diet really has been life-changing so far! I’m not even close to craving sugar or junk food, and all the meals on the plan are phenomenally delicious and satisfying.

The diet so far is a miracle.

I want all my friends and family to do this but I don’t want to become an evangelical ‘diet bore.’ I guess it’s all about people seeing the positive changes in me and then getting curious and interested.

My friend asked me if this would be a sustainable way to live after the diet has ended, and I think it will be. I can’t believe how bad sugar was making me feel (and I didn’t even realise it). My energy levels (as you said) have been transformed, I feel cleaner, clearer and fresher, and it’s amazing not to have the ‘mid-afternoon slump.’ Why on earth would I want to go back to feeling like that again?!

I also do not want my skin to go back to the way it was – acne and patchy on my face, chest and upper-back. It has improved so much in 2-weeks. It’s not perfect yet but my goodness what a difference.

Thank you for sharing your experience so far, it all helps with the motivation.

Best of luck (not that you really need it lol) for the next 6-weeks!

• posted by Natasha_ENFP
    on

Oh, and I have lost 11bs in two weeks and my ‘pregnant looking’ stomach is not looking as pregnant any more!

• posted by pmshrink
    on

Natasha- great!
    Penny

Please log in or register to post a reply.