Would love to hear some words of encouragement from others out there.

We have not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you are have any health related symptoms or concerns, you should contact your doctor who will be able to give you advice specific to your situation.

• posted by issy
    on

Would love to hear some words of encouragement from others out there. I am 33, was diagnosed at 30 with type 2 after a routine blood test, 9 months after having my first daughter. I didn’t have GD in the first pregnancy, but I have had hypertension since I was in my early twenties, and I sometimes suspect that the blood pressure medication which was changed in my first pregancy triggered the diabetes.

Because my fasting levels were just over the line for a diagnosis, but my HBA1C is only slightly raised, I have not been on any diabetes medications, and was I guess a TOFI at 62 kilos and a BMI of 22 when first diagnosed. With my second pregnancy I was immediately on insulin, after early testing, and stacked on the weight, particularly around the middle. I hated insulin, had a lot of hypos, and hated testing my BGLs. Post-pregnancy my blood sugar levels were great, but they have crept up and I am currently still 75 kilos, BMI close to 27. I have finally stopped breastfeeding my son and immediately started the 800 calorie diet, after years of waiting for the right moment, because I am hopeful of beating this thing! But only four days in, I am feeling very low, almost depressed. I work from home as an editor, and I can barely concentrate, and have such low energy levels. This is really the only good time to be doing it, as I’ll be going back to full-time study and work next year.

But… I am doubting that I should keep going?

• posted by Esnecca
    on

Fatigue, aches and pains, lack of stamina are common symptoms of withdrawal from carbohydrates. It’s called the carb flu and a lot of people experience it the first week or so on the BSD. I personally did not because I had already cut all refined carbs out of my diet months before I began the BSD. The good news is it passes. Once you’ve got the sweet poison out of your system and your body switches to burning your fat stores, you’ll have all kinds of energy.

• posted by Michael5
    on

Hi Issy,

Please don’t lose faith just yet. I really had to tough things out at first (for me week 2 was the worst, but I think most people find week 1 the hardest). I didn’t feel hungry, but very tired and lethargic. Getting anything done was hard. However, things rapidly improved for me after that. I’m now in week 6 and I’ve had the energy to redecorate the kitchen and bathroom over the last week. Of course, some people do not get on with the diet and if, after a longer period of time, you are still feeling unwell, it would be wise to move to a more moderate weight loss plan, but for lots of people, once they’ve gotten over the hump, 800 calories a day becomes more than manageable.

All the best with your weight loss.

• posted by Theodora
    on

Stick with it, Issy, it will pass. Carb flu is dreadful, and can be very debilitating – I know, I had it quite badly, plus I started in the depths of winter and I cannot TELL you how cold I felt, so at least you don’t have that to contend with. By this time next week, you’ll be bounding around full of energy and burning all your fat stores, so worry not ๐Ÿ˜œ Good luck.

• posted by Melodeon Millie
    on

Please, please don’t give up. You are doing a fabulous thing for your body…… says she who is only on day 6!

I am so lucky that I don’t have diabetes, but I would KILL to have your BMI. My ancient mother has type 2, being even more obese than me, so I could see the writing on the wall, which is after a lifetime of dieting hope I’ve found one which works.

However, I too have had high blood pressure, since my late teens. Diagnosed with lupus nephritis after the birth of my second child, which is making me wonder if the medics are keeping a check on your kidneys? (They produce the hormone whIch controls blood pressure, if you didn’t know).

In the meantime, a teaspoon of organic cider vinegar in water 3 times a day is meant to be very good for high blood prssure, and I promise, you really DO get used to the taste.

And just think, you have given up all those carbs which have given you the immediate ‘hit’ to keep going; you work AND have 2 children, one of whom is probably still a baby (but I’m not assuming that is the case) to look after, not to mention managing the home, partner etc, not getting much sleep on a good day and you wonder why you are feeling lethargic?!!!!!!!!

You should be giving yourself a huge pat on the back for being strong enough to start this diet in the first place, Well done you and if all the blurb is true, just think how much better you are going to feel in the next weeks.

Keep up the good work,

And I’m sending you a big hug

• posted by EarlGrey
    on

Issy, keep calm and carry on! I have the recipe book and by week 7 I have lost half a stone, dropped a dress size, have more energy than ever (and I am in my forties) and feel amazing! I haven’t followed 800/7 religiously but have cut out the majority of carbs. I have gone out and enjoyed myself and modified the food at restaurants e.g. ordering a veg dish instead of a carb side etc. I have adopted the Mediterranean diet principles but making it work for me. Keep drinking water and fluids and take vitamin supplements – I have an adult version of Bertie Bassetts! I reversed type 2 diabetes three months following diagnosis, but a year on need to lose weight more significantly and maintain a good weight for life!! Good luck!!

• posted by dumptynomore
    on

Hi Issy – the first few days can definitely be a challenge – and don’t forget you have a young family to look after- that takes a lot of energy! You don’t have a lot of weight to lose, so I don’t know how you would feel about being a bit gentler with yourself. I struggled with your feelings too my first time around last year- still do occasionally – having a lacklustre day at the moment. I figured I had two choices – either be miserable (which I was during my 8 weeks last year) or allow myself a couple pieces of fruit per day which has natural sugars for energy. Having it with protein slows the insulin response which should do away hypoglycaemic rebound. Hope this helps in some way.

• posted by aiden121anson
    on

Hey there! Your journey is truly inspiring! Facing a Type 2 diabetes diagnosis at 30, especially while navigating the joys and challenges of motherhood, shows your incredible strength. It’s natural to question the factors that may have contributed, but remember, you’re taking charge of your health and that’s commendable. Your determination to seek encouragement from others is a fantastic step towards a healthier, happier you. Keep believing in yourself, stay positive, and know that you’re not alone on this path. Together, we can conquer any challenge! ๐Ÿ’™๐ŸŒผ

• posted by sunshine-girl
    on

Hi aiden, I am not sure this is the site for you or if what you are offering is for us. I am reporting your post to admin.

Please log in or register to post a reply.