Working out the carbs on Myfitnesspal! Help please?!

We have not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you are have any health related symptoms or concerns, you should contact your doctor who will be able to give you advice specific to your situation.

• posted by Fluff
    on

Hi,
    I am on day 4 now of my Veggie Fast800 plan (as I am thinking of it). Could anyone help me working out the amount of carbs I should be eating? I have set the goals on Myfitnesspal as:

800 Calories
    Carbs 25%
    Fat 50%
    Protein 25%

The above based on the reading some posts in the forum.
    I have had 1 cup of blueberries for breakfast which is according to Myfitnesspal 21 (grams?) of carb which then leaves me with only 29 (grams?!!) of carb left for the day. Is this correct? I thought that blueberries were a low-carb food?! I have been eating a bowl of blueberries with a dollop of greek yoghurt for breakfast – should I really be eating more yoghurt with just a few blueberries?! Any help appreciated – as would any ideas for other veggie breakfasts which don’t involve eggs! Many thanks, XXX Fluff XXX

• posted by Bill1954
    on

Hi Fluff
    I would increase the yoghurt and reduce the blueberries.
    The yoghurt will give you the fat you need but the berries, like all fruits, contain sugar, in particular fructose which is the only sugar that goes straight to the pancreas to be processed.
    They should be used as a flavouring more than a main ingredient.

• posted by Fluff
    on

Thanks Bill1954, will reverse my quantities!

• posted by neohdiver
    on

Definitely decrease the blueberries! I use 20 grams of pomegranate seeds, or 30 grams of blueberries or raspberries. They better than most fruits, but anything sweet is still relatively high carb.

On this diet, my protein macro is around 35%. I don’t worry specifically about the others. I keep my carbs below 20 in a given meal – unless I’m going over because of one of the recipes in the book.

• posted by orchid
    on

Hi Fluff, According to my app a cup is 148 grams. That is a lot of blueberries. I have 60g yogurt and 30g blueberries plus seeds in the mornings – blueberries 4.25g carbs, yogurt 4g. total 10g carbs out of my target 60g. Leaves plenty for the rest of the day. I would try to persuade your app to use grams or ozs as that is a more precise weight when every gram is precious 🙂 !

• posted by Cherrianne
    on

Hi Fluff,
    I agree with the others. For blueberries I have 30g and for strawberries I have 50g as they are lower carb. Then 100g of full fat plain yoghurt with some flax seed meal. Keeps me full till lunch.
    Other options you could have would be fried mushrooms, tomatoes and halloumi cheese.
    The coconut flatbread ( recipe on site) with cream cheese or tablespoon yoghurt and sliced strawberries.
    Even some leftover veggie stew or soup with tablespoon cream cheese or sour cream is a nice breakfast.

• posted by thepolly
    on

I’m finding myfitnesspal doesn’t seem to count the calories the same as in recipes from the book. Not sure which one is right but if I’m going by the app/site they tend to say that there are more calories than quoted. Also don’t know why, if you do exercise, they up the total allowable calories. I’ve been sticking to the 800 and not their total. Is this the right way to do it?

thanks Polly

• posted by Fluff
    on

Thanks for the advice and the breakfast ideas! I reversed my quantities this morning and had a whole 170g pot of yoghurt and just a few stewed blueberries and the carbs came right down to 9 whereas the calories are about the same! Brilliant! Will get some strawberries for a change too – good idea! XXX Fluff XXX

• posted by Leeanne
    on

My current blueberries state 100g – 37 cals and 6.9g carbs. I always have a full 200g Greek yog for breakfast with about 50g blueberries or 3 tbsp strawberries. I bought pomegranate seeds too but the label stated 10g is 10.2 cals which seemed a bit high for such a small fruit.

Please log in or register to post a reply.