Working on a night shift

We have not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you are have any health related symptoms or concerns, you should contact your doctor who will be able to give you advice specific to your situation.

• posted by clover_nev
    on

Hi

I am new here, I work on night shift, I would like to ask what is the best snack for late night without gaining much weight.

• posted by Nettle
    on

Hi CloverNev

I worked night shift for 15 years, loved it but know all about the problems of snacking to keep going as the body wants to shut down at 4am in the morning. I’d suggest soup as a good heat me up, fill me up. Even in summer time a lighter broth type would do the trick. Also consider a measured chunk of cheddar in your food box. It will sustain you and give you the fat boost you need. Assuming you had a good healthy meal before going to work, why not pot up a smaller version of that for the mid shift break. Remember to plan for and resist the CARB urges. I reckon my weight gain for years can be tracked back to toast fuelled night shifts.
    Good luck and good sleeping.
    N

• posted by gettingthere
    on

I currently work nights after working day job and find it hard to keep to 3 meals especially when does my day start. I made up curry vege soup for about 3am as well as taking an optifast sachet to work. I found drinking water has helped greatly. Occasionally work will provide a salad consisting of ham, olives, feta, lettuce, spinach and olive oil. I will have breakfast and go to bed – good sleep plays an important part in loosing weight also. I have now lost 17kg in 10 weeks and have 13 to go.

I have found that I don’t get that horrible bloating anymore. I don’t crave food now and I make sure I have a choice because sometimes at 3am I didn’t want my soup I had my optifast chocolate desert.

Oh! I also took leave to get me started this helped me focus on my health.

• posted by Longteeball
    on

I have done 12hr night shifts for 20 years now and always struggled to eat the right things until now. Lost 2 stone over the last 16 weeks following the 8 week diet and have maintained a constant weight now for last 5 weeks which is where i want to be.
    I find that i really need to plan at start of every week for each meal. I know its somewhat boring but it works for me. I make big batches of meals so they can be frozen so there is always something to take to work. Sure beats the kebabs and chinese takeaways.
    If i can do it believe me anyone can.

• posted by clover_nev
    on

Thank you all for your replies, I really i appreciate it… will try all what you suggested. 🙂

• posted by rachbc
    on

I deliberately choose now to do this as I have 6 months off nights! I’m thinking a good low carb med style dinner before work, take some nuts to graze on if needed then maybe a protein and fat rich shake with peanut butter and a little banana and milk before bed. If I really can’t resist the toast urge then a small slice of rye bread or soya and seed bread that is relatively low carb with some nut butter should hit the spot

• posted by Steve r
    on

Some great ideas here I work 2230 till 7am so will have to plan ahead

• posted by rosemary ferry
    on

Me, too! I work graveyard shift. I’d like to know if i still need to exercise when i lack of sleep but the diet is possible.

Please log in or register to post a reply.