Why? Help

We have not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you are have any health related symptoms or concerns, you should contact your doctor who will be able to give you advice specific to your situation.

• posted by Mylife
    on

Hi all. Just weighed myself on day 4 of bsd. No weight loss at all. Gutted. Have stuck to it solidly and been active😬. Does this happen to some?

• posted by karra
    on

Hi Mylife, same thing has happened to me. I’ve just finished Week 1 and no weight loss(in fact I gained 1 lb), even though I’ve been exercising and following the diet. I’ve also not lost any inches, even though I’ve not recorded them officially, but it did get me down this morning, but it also made me more determined to increase my exercise and continue to stick with the diet, but perhaps tweak it a bit for myself and see how it goes for Week Two………so don’t get too down, just pick yourself up, maybe make a few changes and increase your exercise and see how it goes.

You have to remember Everyone is different, some people may need to lose more weight than others, and perhaps for us it just kicks in a little later, but I’m sure it will, we must be patient. KEEP AT IT! after all it’s better than a lifetime on medication.

hugs
    Karra

• posted by Mylife
    on

Thanks Karra. I only have 10kg to loose so that maybe it. Gained 12kg in one year so need to stop this. Blood sugars are ok but I am at risk as all weight gain over my middle😒. Am a carb addict! Will keep going as I must change this pattern before too late!

• posted by SunnyB
    on

Welcome both to the BSD clan – sorry to hear you have both had disappointing results at the end of week 1. Things to check are: are you including enough fat in your diet (this helps the body get into fat burning mode), are you drinking enough and finally do a quick check on the amount of carbs you are eating, just in case there is anything you’re eating a lot of which has a surprisingly high carb content. Aim to keep your carb intake a bit below 50g per day.

Hopefully we will see you both posting good results at the end of week 2.

• posted by Toofastblack
    on

I wouldn’t worry too much. Still 52 days to go. I lost 10kgs in the first week, but didn’t get too excited as it was almost certainly mostly water.

Ontario thing I suggest is use a good nutrition (calorie counting) app. I use myfitnesspal which is excellent but others around. Thing I found was : while I’ve been using that app for over a year before I started BSD, I wasnt losing the weight I “should” have been, based on estimated daily energy intake.

Since starting 8 week fast, I made 2 important changes : I recorded absolutely everything I ingested, especially coffees I drink (white coffees add up!) and ALHOLOL; even more importantly I been weighing stuff.

Turns out I’ve been underestimating my intake for much of the time prior to BSD. on paper I was hitting mto net 1500 calorie a day target, but not losing the 0.5kg a week that should lead to. I now think I was out by a considerable factor, because I was underestimating portion sizes

I’m typical of research that shows this is often the case, even if trying to be scrupulous – people don’t cheat they just create imperfect data.

What am I saying? Without wanting to sound accusatory at all, it is perhaps possible that you are ingesting more than THE 8THIYOU think – especially since its early on and relearning portion size?

Again – I suggest this in the spirit of help, rather than criticism.

Stick with it! And good luck. I’m three weeks in today, and if I’m representative – it works.

• posted by TrishaDawn
    on

I second toofastblack. I didn’t lose as much as I’d expected in my first week, so began weighing and measuring, and keeping a running total for each day. I realised I wasn’t counting in milk for coffee and tea, reasoning that it was ‘only a splash’.
    When I checked, those splashes were a quarter of a cup, a good 30 or so calories and 3 grams of carbohydrate for each cup. If you’re a slow loser like me, everything has to be measured and noted down.
    I’m finding my carb count is usually around 25 grams, and sometimes I go a bit over the 800, but never above 900. I’m lucky if I lose more than half a kilo a week even then, but it’s more than I’ve lost on the standard diets. Don’t give up, just check that you’re not inadvertently taking in more calories or carbs than you think.

• posted by Mylife
    on

Hi. I think dashes of lite milk in tea and coffee may be mounting up. Also I haven’t been counting carbs just adding up calories from recipies in the book . I need to work out how to find grams of carbs in meals. It doesn’t tell you that in the book😁

• posted by Patsy
    on

You shouldn’t need to count carbs if you’re following the recipes in the book as they contain very few carbs. If you’re subsituting different foods which are high in carbs, that could be why you’re not losing weight yet.

• posted by neohdiver
    on

MyLife – I use myfitness pal and build the recipes there, which automatically generate the carb count. (Not to mention that not all of the calorie counts are precisely accurate – so MFP gives me that, as well.)

Patsy – if what you are concerned about is carbs (as I am), and have a low tolerance for carbs (as I do), you do have to be careful about the recipes in the book. I reduced the quantity of lentils in the spicy chicken with lentils, for example, and it still had 24 (net) carbs. That is a higher quantity of carbs than I can eat in one meal without elevating my BG out of the normal range.

• posted by pmshrink
    on

Hi Mylife
    I get my info from Calorieking.com and put it into ‘my foods’ in MyFitnessPal app. That way I know it’s sccurate. MFP will then add the carbs etc up for you.
    It’s all a learning curve!
    Best of luck
    Penny

• posted by Natalie
    on

Hi pmshrink,

Calorieking has an app with a tracker, you don’t need to get the information from there then put it into MyFitnessPal, Calorie King can do it all. Graph weight loss, create your own recipes etc.

• posted by Meredex
    on

Hi All, wish I’d seen this post 10 minutes ago as I’ve just echoed your thoughts! Early plateau on week one, which is very disappointing. I’ll be following the advise from here and eagerly awaiting to hear of your losses on week 2. Fingers crossed xx

• posted by pmshrink
    on

Hi Natalie
    Thanks for the info!
    Penny

Please log in or register to post a reply.