Why don't I feel hungry?

We have not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you are have any health related symptoms or concerns, you should contact your doctor who will be able to give you advice specific to your situation.

• posted by stringbreaker
    on

I’ve yo-yo dieted for 30 years and have always suffered from “hunger” before. Mid-afternoon and late night snacking have so often been my downfall.
    To my surprise, I don’t feel hungry on this regime. It almost seems too easy.
    This is my first low-carb diet – could this be something to do with it?

• posted by Jacattack
    on

I suffer from similar snacking danger times to you but also don’t feel the need on this diet. I think for me its down to eating more fat? Previously everything was high carb and low fat.
    If you’d told me a week ok i’d be happy on 800 (sometimes less) cals per day, I’d have laughed!

• posted by Janet1973
    on

Sugar – otherwise known as simple carbs – screws with our bodies and makes us think we are hungry when actually we are not. Cutting the sugar/carbs means our bodies can return to their proper state and protein is more satisfying while fat helps us to absorb nutrients better.

on

So what happens when the 8 weeks is over? Ease back into moderate carb intake or carry on avoiding “bad” GI carbs as much as possible?

• posted by Janet1973
    on

Well, if you have achieved your goals, I think the idea is that we don’t really go back to previous eating habits – keep the carbs as a very…very… rare treat.

on

A small price to pay – I think I can stay with Rye Bread and avoid spuds altogether ( except for the mandatory friday fish and chips : -b )

• posted by Janet1973
    on

Of course, it is the law 😉

• posted by Chameleonbeetle
    on

Also fibre takes longer to digest and keeps you fuller for longer.

• posted by Matrika
    on

“I’ve yo-yo dieted for 30 years and have always suffered from “hunger” before. Mid-afternoon and late night snacking have so often been my downfall.
    To my surprise, I don’t feel hungry on this regime. It almost seems too easy.
    This is my first low-carb diet – could this be something to do with it?”

Dear stringbreaker, I think it may be to do with dropping your insulin levels…insulin triggers hunger when blood sugar levels drop and but when your blood sugar levels are stable due to fewer simple carbs triggering insulin surges, you don’t need to feed the beast. 🙂 I don’t know if this is so, I’m no expert.

on

Hi Matrika and Chameleonbeetle,

Thanks for your suggestions – they make sense to me. I’m just so thankful that this is all proving so easy!
    The only real extra effort is on the part of my wife who is having to cook some different recipes for the evening meal, but to be
    honest, she’s a great cook and is enjoying it.

We’re both certainly enjoying the food and would carry on with a lot of the recipes whether the were healty or not – they taste so good.

Just one more week to go. I’ve already achieved the weight loss I was hoping for so am really chuffed. How are you both getting on?

• posted by Carolg
    on

I didn’t feel hungry for the first five weeks but have had temptation rear it’s ugly head this week..had an apple or a bovril to tide me over.

on

Bovril! Now THERE’S an idea.
    Thanks.
    Had to be wary of apples due to “Right temporal mandibular joint dysfunction syndrome” (Aching jaw).

Please log in or register to post a reply.