why can't you do this while breastfeeding?

We have not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you are have any health related symptoms or concerns, you should contact your doctor who will be able to give you advice specific to your situation.

• posted by stealthstrawberry
    on

Just out of interest. I have a friend who had gestational diabetes and wants to lose weight, but she’s breastfeeding a 1 year old toddler. What’s the reason for not doing this diet while breastfeeding? I could understand if it would affect the milk she produces, but her toddler eats normal meals so it doesn’t matter if her milk production goes down.

Can anyone shed any light?

• posted by Celsa
    on

I think it probably is to do with production. The body will reduce its supply of breastmilk if calories are too restricted – which is bad news for a baby which is relying on breastmilk for sustenance, but wouldn’t be such a big deal for a toddler. The toddler may complain a bit is the only problem I can foresee!

• posted by cleona
    on

I have am just starting a second round of the BSD and have continued breastfeeding my toddler throughout. I’m not sure how much milk she’s getting, but at 14 months she doesn’t need it for the nutrition and she seems quite happy with it from an emotional perspective. I just really wanted to lose some weight and she showed no sign of wanting to stop, so in the end I just went ahead and started.

Please log in or register to post a reply.