White or cheese sauce?

We have not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you are have any health related symptoms or concerns, you should contact your doctor who will be able to give you advice specific to your situation.

• posted by Patsy
    on

Is there a low carb way to make a white sauce?

I’m assuming cornflour is unsuitable as a thickener. Would gram flour work?

• posted by Patsy
    on

I decided to be brave and try the gram flour in a roux. It worked, but does have a different flavour. I made a cracked pepper sauce and could still detect the difference. It’s not unpleasant just a bit ‘beany’. The result seemed a little thicker than with wheat flour, so I’ll use a bit less next time.

• posted by Kags
    on

What about arrowroot powder?

• posted by hashimoto
    on

Arrowroot is high carb so not good on this diet.

I haven’t tried this but could you make a white sauce by frying some finely chopped onion and cracked pepoer corns and stirring in some cream and mustard? I know it wouldn’t be thick but might work with some things

• posted by Kags
    on

On Atkins and other Keto diets, arrowroot is recommeded as the lower carb option for thickening sauces, etc. It has 7g net carbs per tbsp. When you think about it, you don’t use much to thicken and the sauce goes a long way, so fewer carbs per serving.

• posted by Jandz100
    on

I make a cheese sauce by melting butter & cream cheese in a pan, add in some grated cheese and Worcestershire sauce.

Could swap Worcestershire sauce for mustard

Not quite the same as traditional sauce but it’s still yummy

• posted by Kags
    on

I do similar, but use milk instead of butter.

• posted by Kags
    on

Just been having a browse around on this subject and found folks saying to thicken sauces with gelatin powder. No carbs, obviously, as it’s an animal derivative.

• posted by Patsy
    on

Hashimoto and Jandz, those both sound good. I’ll give them a try.

Pureed butternut squash is a good thickener for curries, soups and stews. I’ve been using that for a couple of years. It’s got quite a rich, creamy flavour without too many colories but the texture doesn’t seem quite right o me for a white sauce.

• posted by Tallyhoo
    on

A very high calorific way to do this which I do for a real occasional treat is to heat some single cream in a bowl over water (as you would do melting chocolate which of course we would never do now!) and add grated cheese, stir until the cheese is melted – depends on how much cheese you put in as to how thick it becomes when it melts and I put in dijon mustard. I love this over steamed marrow as a light supper dish in the summer with loads of black pepper. I absolutely love it but am the only person I know who likes it! The recipe came originally from the Atkins diet – carb free but as I say – high in calories obviously, but for me if I have it with marrow or cauliflower which are so low in carbs – I regard it as ok on the really odd occasion!

Please log in or register to post a reply.