Wheat connection and grains

We have not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you are have any health related symptoms or concerns, you should contact your doctor who will be able to give you advice specific to your situation.

• posted by Kaitee
    on

Hi, the BSD and the Med diet references took me to other external resources where it mentioned not to eat Wheat. It made me think then whether wheat is actually present in the BSD /med diet or not. Can anyone confirm is wheat is a no no on the BSD or med diet, and then explain why? Then what about other cereal, like barley or rye? Are these allowed? What is the theory around all of this as well. Many thanks in anticipation,

• posted by sunshine-girl
    on

Hi Kaitee, welcome to the site. Are you doing one of the diets associated with this site. The reference to not eating wheat was not noticed by me but the premise of the BSD (diabetes diet) is not to eat simple white carbs of which wheat is one along with rice, pasta, potatoes, breakfast cereals, bread etc. For me it has been a life saver and almost taken me to a point where I can come off using insulin which I have been reliant on for the past 16 years. I would say that other people tend not to be as strict on the carb reduction as I am but find that it can be carbs that drive hunger, cravings and bloating. As for other cereals, it depends on their GI rating or how quickly they are absorbed into the blood stream. Some are slow burners and I do now and then have a Ryvita or spelt bread but only on very rare occasions. An alternative would be oats which are both slow burning and good for reducing cholesterol. There are no hard and fast rules and as long as the diet is working for you it is not forbidden to have some wheat or cereal based foods but not too often.

Please log in or register to post a reply.