What to eat

We have not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you are have any health related symptoms or concerns, you should contact your doctor who will be able to give you advice specific to your situation.

• posted by caz1973
    on

Hi everyone i am new here and i have just been told i am pre diabetic, i don’t have a very good support system i.e husband lol so i started to google and came across this site so many lovely people going through the same thing. So i am looking at the fast 800 can anyone tell me what they eat on a typical day of the 800 i would be very grateful for any advise given .

A typical day for me at the moment is 2 weetobix no sugar just milk for brekky, snack at 11 nectarine, lunch a carrot and a yogurt my evening meal could be anything from a omlette with bacon and onion in it or maybe fahitas without the wrap. or chicken breast with salad. to me this sounds ok but i could be totally wrong in what i am eating kind regards everyone and thank you in advance for any help given

• posted by sunshine-girl
    on

Hi caz1973. Well the first rule of this diet is no bad carbs, so sorry, the Weetabix has to go. No bread, rice, pasta, sugar, potato in any form, no processed foods like pastries and no cereals except real oats but only occasionally and only 20/25 gr serving. Also you have to be very careful with fruit and it can contain a lot of sugar and calories so stick to things like berries and an occasional apple. Look for vegetables that are grown above ground rather than below, so avoid parsnips, carrots (although I still eat them), celeriac, turnip or swede and sweet potatoes. Other things banned on this plan are anything that says it is low fat or low sugar as we find it is either chemically enhanced (the body cannot deal with it efficiently) or is has been packed with other things, like low fat contains more sugar and low sugar has cereals included. Sorry it is such a big list of not to eats so what can you eat.

If you go onto http://www.dietdoctor.com he has a visual of all the things that we can eat (although he is not associated with this diet he is very good) and you are talking about things like salads foods, courgette, peppers, cabbage, cauliflower, sprouts, kale, spinach, aubergine, broccoli, kale phew…. such a lot. Each occasionally avocado and nuts daily if you can stick to half a dozen. That’s all the greenish stuff. You can eat eggs, chicken, fish, beans, lentils, any meats but avoid processes meats like bacon or smoked meats, hams, sausages etc. Remember this is low carb, healthy fat, not high fat, this is not Atkins. Eat full fat foods like butter, cheese, cream, yoghurt (Greek is best for flavour), olive oil for dressings and rapeseed oil for cooking (and the butter). No margarine.

Most people try to keep carbs to less than 50 grams but under 100 is okay. You will not eat too much fat as, for example, no bread, no potatoes, what are you going to use the butter for, so you wont be using that much. Plus keeping to 800 calories will stop you from going mad with higher fat foods.

I am exhausting my list but I am sure there is lots more you can eat so here is an example of a couple of days for me.

B = 2 scrambled egg & grilled tomato (200 cals) – L = Spanish chickpea and spinach soup (210 cals) – D = chicken stirfry (340 cals) daily total is 750 calories, leaving 50 for a small snack if wanted.
    B = no carb bircher (180 cals) – L = chickpea and hazelnut salad (270 cals) – D =skinny chilli (350 cals) daily total 800 calories.
    B = grilled mushroom with poached egg (100 cals) – L = feta cheese salad with raspberries (270 cals) – D = vegi frittata (320 cals) daily total 690 calories.
    Recipes are in the original BSD 800 book which I hope you have or can get for about £5 online.

Good luck and enjoy and I am sure you will have lots more questions, just ask.

• posted by SunnyB
    on

Hi caz1973

Lots of good solid advise there from sunshine-girl. I would just add that good hydration is essential, so be sure to drink plenty – at least 2L a day and weigh, measure and record everything you consume and yourself too, so you can track your progress. And of course, make good use of the forum for advise, support and encouragement and let us know your successes too, so we can celebrate with you.

Best wishes for some great results soon.

• posted by Esnecca
    on

Nectarines are so delicious. Unfortunately, they’re also quite a bad fruit, sugar-wise. Like sunshine-girl says, you’ll want to stick with berries for best results. Same with carrots, sadly. I’ll still have the occasional half carrot, but they’re not a great idea for daily sustenance.

You may find these at-a-glance charts useful to give you an idea of what kinds of foods should be in daily rotation and which should not. Good luck!

https://www.dietdoctor.com/low-carb/vegetables
    https://www.dietdoctor.com/low-carb/fruits
    https://www.dietdoctor.com/low-carb/nuts

• posted by caz1973
    on

Wow thank you so much there is so much to learn unfortunately my gp are like you are pre diabetic gp away and lose weight they are not much help but thank you very much for the help I will sit tonight and write a shopping list and plan for the week thanks guys it’s really appreciated.

on

Dont forget to add The 8-week blood sugar diet by Dr Michael Mosley to your shopping list. Essential reading to understand the science and the myths.

• posted by caz1973
    on

Hi me again well i have done my shopping list and planned for a week of food please can i ask for example if i ate

B= 2 boiled eggs

L= Spanish chickpea soup

D=shepherds pie with cauli mash

i have put this into my fitness pal and it comes out as 680 calories does it matter its not 800 or do you aim to get to near as to 800 as you can sorry if i am sounding thick lol but i am trying to plan as much as i can and maybe do batch cooking as i have quite a busy work life thanks for the help guys x

on

Hi again, your menu plan is perfect as it allows you a small deficit in case you want a snack, and we all do sometimes even if it is just the urge to nibble. So you could have half a dozen almonds or a slice of cold meat for another 60 or 80 calories and still not go over. However, there will be days when you are closer to 800 or even a little over, if you do 680 one day and 840 the next then you are still averaging 760 which is a good figure. It is a good idea to do the calculation before you have eaten so good for you in forward planning.

• posted by Theodora
    on

Hi caz and welcome, it sounds as though you are getting well organised and getting a handle on this WOE, so well done and good luck. Your menu sounds great. Enjoy.

• posted by caz1973
    on

Thank you sunshine-girl and Theodore before finding this site I read tons of diets and was more confused than ever, now after your advise I feel more in control than I ever have I am from norfolk in the UK and I am what is known as a norfolk dumpling lol weighing 13 stone 10 at 5 foot 3 aged 43 but that is about to change my journey begins tomorrow and I so grateful for your help and advice. I have a blood test in 4 months so time will tell I don’t really know results from last time was just told pre diabetic go and lose weight so I am determined to do this.I love reading people’s journeys on this forum it’s so encouraging and hopefully one day if my journey goes to plan I can then help somebody so thanks again

• posted by Julia18togo
    on

Hi Caz1973
    We are the same age and I am also prediabetic, type 2 runs in the family. I am also v busy with work and find some tricks invaluable: whatever you cook, treble the recipe and freeze in containers you can bung in the microwave so you always have something instant for when you come home tired. If you have silicon muffin trays at home, then you can make crustless quiche with parmesan, egg, spinach, ham, whatever flavours you like. They keep in fridge well and can also be frozen. Likewise cauliflour rice muffins, etc, there are recipes on this website, and also Lucia does a good breakfast ‘muffin’, with mushroom, bacon, egg, see her thread (type Lucia into the search box).
    To encourage you, I have lost 15 kilos on BSD, blood sugars in the normal range now. It works, and without feeling mega deprived. Exercise does help in terms of keeping the metabolism moving and avoiding muscle loss as the weight comes off.
    I need to lose more visceral fat so I stay on these forums for encouragement. Best wishes for great success!
    Julia

• posted by caz1973
    on

Hi Julia18togo

Thanks for that i have a weekend off this week so i am going in the kitchen to prep for the week i have a empty freeze at my work place so can store all my lunches.
    And well done to you for your weight loss i am so grateful of the help on this forum i felt as if i didn’t know what to do until i came across this site i now feel as if i am in control and know exactly what i am doing, i hope i don’t fall off the wagon lol but i know i can get support on here if i do thanks for your help and advice and encouragement keep going you are doing so well and hopefully i can report good progress from myself in a couple of weeks time.

Please log in or register to post a reply.