What have you eaten today?

We have not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you are have any health related symptoms or concerns, you should contact your doctor who will be able to give you advice specific to your situation.

• posted by Epspecially
    on

Yesterday had two boiled eggs and asparagus for breakfast (never sure if I like asparagus or not! but good to dip in eggs)

Then salad with chicken breast (left overs from roast chicken dinner the day before), 5 olives stuffed with garlic (Tesco), loads of green leaves – spinach, rocket, kale, a scallion, and a tablespoon of olive oil and lemon juice. Really tasty.

Then for dinner… I not even sure exactly how many calories (but below 300) as my partner gobbled about a quarter of it because it was so tasty!! Spiralised one courgette (a bit eager on spiraliser as have only just got it;-)), then cooked 2 rashers with small onion, 2 cloves of garlic, and a few mushrooms, then added in the courgette with half teasp of butter, and cooked for a few minutes then added lemon juice and 10gs of Parmesan – soooooo tasty!! I think an egg on top of it would make this into a very nice carbonara! (I suspect this is not a new discovery for most of you but I just had to post it for anyone who hasn’t thought of it as it really was nice.)

• posted by Igorasusual
    on

All sounds very tasty Epspecially – but just had to jump in and ask if you are anywhere close to a farm or pick-your-own that sells fresh asparagus? If you are, do try and get some really fresh and then you will not have to be unsure if you like it or not….

My family has eaten three big bunches of fresh asparagus from our local pick-your-own over the weekend (I didn’t have too much as there’s a lot of carbs in it), but it was absolutely yummy! When it’s in season, there’s no stopping us.

😉

• posted by Epspecially
    on

Ooo I thought I was doing well that they were organic asparagus ;-)))) But yes will keep an eye out for local ones thanks Igorasusual. No fear of me eating too much of it anyway..

Another thing I’ve found great but forgot to mention is Nori sheets – the dark green sheets you use to make sushi with – they have them in the supermarket and in health food shops – and sooo tasty, low in nearly everything as hard to eat too much of it, but crispy and high in useful seaweed nutrients! I have a few for lunch 🙂

• posted by Epspecially
    on

Breakfast: smoothie with a few frozen strawberries, tablespoon of Greek yoghurt, chia seeds, water and tablespoon of almond butter – so nice, like a strawberry milk shake! (Not sure is it as filling As eggs for breakfast though)
    Lunch: sauerkraut and tin of mackerel
    Dinner: made the cauliflower rice from the book but it was a bit weird.. mixed with spices and some chopped up cheese and small tin of chickpeas

And one small piece of 85% chocolate 😝 Not having this everyday but once in a while and even small piece is soooo worth it👍😂

• posted by Patsy
    on

Breakfast – strawberries and yoghurt
    Lunch – egg and cress salad
    Dinner – will be a curry with gram flour flatbread. Don’t tell anyone, but I’m going to have a glass of wine too.

• posted by keeptrying
    on

breakfast – berries walnuts and yoghurt
    lunch – cheese and onion frittata and salad
    dinner – 1 baked portabello mushroom filled with bacon and brie, with baby spinach and coleslaw

also 4 tiny squares of dark choc
    2 teas
    1 cup of milk
    (hoping, since it is only 5.35pm – that I wont eat anything else but cant guarantee it)

• posted by melb100
    on

This morning I bought a nutri bullet so I can have juice (can’t bring myself to call it ‘nutriblast’ or ‘extracted nutrition’ !!) for breakfasts.

So today I had a late breakfast juice of spinach, peach, blueberry, half banana, almond milk and flaxseeds. In future the plan is to have avocado instead of banana ( more fat less carbs ) but no avocados in the house today and was just so excited to try it!!

Lunch – small salad from deli: avocado, tomato, mixed beans, lettuce

Tea – spicey chickpeas and cumin spuds from Simon dimmer vegetarian book, all the spuds went on boyfriends plate bien sur! So chickpeas, onion, garlic, chopped pepper, celery, bit of carrot, chilli, tomatoes, full fat yoghurt. Yum.

Strawberry herbal tea for “pudding” hmmmm…

Edit -carbs are well over 80 (curse that banana), cals just over 800

• posted by Rubbu
    on

Breakfast – camomile tea (fasting 16hrs)
    Lunch – cheese and tomato sandwich ….replaced the bread for romaine lettuce !!! 8 walnuts
    Dinner – Angus beef thin steak 100g cooked with butter with broccoli stems and green beans
    I track my food nutrition and canaries in my fitness app
    Xx

• posted by Epspecially
    on

Have just discovered Babaganush oooo it’s so delicious and really easy. 2 medium aubergines put under the grill until the skin is charred, and then mixed in blender (only the flesh, not the black skins) with juice of one lemon, 2 tablespoons of Tahini (sesame paste) and 1 or 2 cloves of garlic and optional honey (half teaspoon tho I didn’t bother) sooooo delicious with tomatoes or celery or peppers! I put in 2 cloves of garlic and it’s pretty garlic so maybe ones enough..

Worked out at just under 50 calories (4g carbs) if the above recipe was for 6 people, so not massive helping but it’s perfect for dipping stuff into😝👍

• posted by melb100
    on

B – poached egg, spinach, grilled asparagus and tomato
    L – tomato and roast garlic soup, salad with roasted cauliflower, broad beans, pomegranate seeds, lettuce
    D – vegetarian moussaka
    For pudding boyfriend is eating my all time favourite Eton mess with luxury strawberry meringue, I have contented myself with a few strawberries. For the greater good!!
    Cals come in at about 900, carbs just over 60, although lunch for a cafe so bit of guesswork involved. As other veggies have mentioned I am finding it hard to get under 50g carbs due to pulses etc but will keep plodding on!

• posted by Stewart
    on

Breakfast – Cappuccino

Lunch – Cappuccino and 5 tomatoes and sea salt

Dinner – Steak (200g) with griddled mushroom and tomato and a griddle egg

750cals

Oh, and gallons of water of course…

• posted by Frog
    on

I was really surprised – I though olives would be high on pretty much everything, but they’re OK

got in latish & not hugely hungry, so had olives, manchego cheese & some cashew nuts – all that would have improved it would’ve been a glass of cold, dry sherry, I can taste it now!

• posted by Rubbu
    on

No breakfast just camomile tea and coffe with milk 40ml at work
    Lunch , Pret a manger Italian chicken no dressing
    Dinner, half red pepper with feta, olives, pistachio onion. No pomegranate (recipe from book)
    20 g cheese with walnuts.. Trying to resist my sons mango! Drinking water instead!

• posted by Funkydoofamily
    on

Breakfast – dessert spoon Greek Yogurt, frozen berries, some walnuts
    lunch – Quinoa 40g cooked with sweetcorn, tinned tomatoes, half avocado and Mexican spices
    Dinner – chicken breast meat 50g, quinoa salad as above 30g, Queen olives x 5, red pepper and lettuce
    Total 815 cals.

• posted by melb100
    on

B- experimental smoothie of half an avocado, spinach, berries, courgette, almond milk, flax seeds (pretty gross it turns out but I forced it down)
    L-egg and salmon protein pot from pret a manger, nectarine, 3 cherry tomatoes and some mange tout
    Snacks – terrible chocolate craving mid-afternoon so ate about 75g of mixed nuts 😮
    Better than chocolate but I am now at 850 cals and 40g carbs for the day so leaving off dinner in favour of herbal tea and sparkling water.

• posted by melb100
    on

B – smoothie from the book (full fat yoghurt, almonds, spinach, blueberries). Mustn’t have out enough blueberries in as it was better than yesterday but still verging on slurry. Done the hatch it went nonetheless.

L – working in a primary school all day, had school dinner with the kids. Difficult but a good test of mashed potato resistance. Opted for vegetable soup (probably had potatoes in it but not much to be done about that) and then a bit of custard but left the apple pie untouched.

Mad cravings for bread in the afternoon especially as had hour to kill between work and sign language class, spent in costa coffee and resisted the m and s shop by reading these forums.

D – spinach, tomato, avocado and radish salad with olive oil and balsamic dressing. Nectarine.

Cals about 950, carbs just over 60. Should have left that custard!!

• posted by Frog
    on

Breakfast – porridge with cherries – very good indeed
    Lunch – olives & cashews
    Supper – I ate out this evening, I went to a Cafe Rouge, which had quite a lot of feasible low carb options – most things on the menu come with a choice of house salad or fries, and there were several BSD friendly salads to choose from.
    I has salmon nicoise, which doesn’t have any potatoes in. I forgot to ask for it without dressing, but it came ‘naked’ and I was offered a choice of vinaigrette, or olive oil and vinegar.
    I did have a glass of wine though – all good aside from that!

• posted by melb100
    on

B – today’s smoothie was spinach, blueberries, strawberries, flaxseed and almond milk. Spoonful of full fat fage to wash it down.
    L – tuna nicois salad from pret-a-manger. I have found them by far the best for carb free lunches on the go. Sometimes I just don’t have time to make lunch of a morning – for others in my position, definitely worth a look in pret for the protein pots and salads.
    T – leftover veggie moussaka (home made).
    Snacks – mini (15g) green and blacks dark chocolate bar.

I was hallucinating about sandwiches about 5 pm but managed to make it home without going into sainsburys where I know I would have bought all the bread and pastry. Am still struggling to get enough fat in – bring on the avocados!

Cals 816 carbs 49g

• posted by Frog
    on

Had a late breakfast when I got to work – Greek yoghurt with cherries
    Lunch was the last of the Waitrose Fritatta (three portions! pre BSD I’d have had half, then cut off odd slices from the remaining half)
    Odd supper – I was finishing up stuff in the fridge before I go away – essentially asparagus, spinach falafel and chicken.

• posted by Rubbu
    on

Yesterday
    Breakfast – herbal tea
    Lunch – Pret protein spinach egg salmon pot
    Dinner – Toby carvary salmon parcel, with butter, tablespoon of cabbage, green beans and peas plus 2 glasses of wine

Today
    Breakfast – herbal tea
    Gym!!
    Lunch one egg spinach omelette with a little butter and Parmesan.
    Dinner home made chicken curry equivalent to one thigh with full fat yogurt 100g
    30g cheese with tablespoon of walnuts

So far have lost 3 lbs this week. My weekly weigh in is Sunday 11 lbs target weight

• posted by Rubbu
    on

Melb100 – last week I was really hungry felt I could eat constantly! I whipped up some double cream and had about 30 ml with 2 medium strawberries. It was really satisfying and filling! 150 cal, 16g fat, 2g carb

• posted by Epspecially
    on

Had delicious cauliflower rice the other night with a prawn curry made with tomatoes and peppers – sooo nice! Makes such a difference when the cauliflower is baked! I had done it before by heating and once in microwave but way nicer in the oven. Mixed in cumin and chilli flakes and baked until it was going crispy/toasted looking – really didn’t miss nan bread or fluffy rice at all! Great texture and flavour and even friend had some and liked it more than rice.

Breakfast this morning was mushroom, few tomatoes, small rasher and two eggs and was v tasty. Maybe even a bit too filling but it will be a long day so hopefully will keep me going. Have smoothies with nut butter, greek yoghurt, strawberries and chia seeds usually, so this was good change. (Still can’t find the FAGE yoghurt except for the o% fat one which I turn up my nose at ;-))))

Also one last dinner that worked well – last night had courgette noodles, half a yellow pepper and mixed it all up with the chopped up pesto chicken from the book – basically chicken breast cooked in the oven with tablespoon of home made pesto on top – was yum!

• posted by Switzerland
    on

Yoghurt and berries, med platter (low carb, of course), fish and salad, an apple.

• posted by Epspecially
    on

Really wanted hot chocolate last night but instead I heated almond milk (unsweetened stuff because some of it is full of junk) and added cinamon and tiny bit of maple syrup. Made some froth with the top and it was really nice! Felt sweet but not sickening sweet and not to many calories at all – 62 for almond milk+17 for small teasp of maple syrup – didn’t count the cinamon as v low!

• posted by spcox
    on

Breakfast – 2 boiled eggs
    Lunch – Meal replacement shake
    Dinner – 150gm steak with one and half cups of steamed veg

690 calories.

Discipline = results

• posted by Cazzie
    on

Today I broke down and ate all the carbs … And now I feel terrible! 3 weeks in and lesson learned. Back on the wagon tomorrow 😜

• posted by Scandigirl
    on

I love to Make a cup of coffee and pour it over ice. Add 1 cup of unsweetened vanilla milk and a tsp of sugar free Toroni’s vanilla syrup. It’s only 30 calories, 1 carb, filling and so refreshing.

• posted by Giz
    on

Breakfast: 2 poached eggs
    Lunch: prawn salad- lettuce, 2 small tomatoes, cucumber, prawns, 1tbs mayonnaise
    Dinner:- small ribeye steak, salad, 6 feta cubes, balsamic vinegar, garlic olive oil!!😍

• posted by josie53
    on

b 2 poached eggs and a portobello mushroom some spinach

l salad and feta, olives and tomatoes

d grated courgette base pizza with sundried tomatoes, mushroom 1/4 avocado and some goats cheese

the pizza was ok very filling, i would like to think that my stomach has shrunk but am probably kidding myself

• posted by PeteSuffolk
    on

My new favourite breakfast, but would make a good lunch too. Feta omelette. One egg, splash of milk, lots of black pepper. Whisk, pour into small non stick frypan with splash of olive oil. Cut a finger of feta and crumble onto the omelette while it is cooking. Fry until the egg is set(ish). Tip out, contriving to fold the top over and sandwich the molton feta into the middle. Eat with sliced tomato and a glug of good olive oil. Delicious!

• posted by SunnyB
    on

B – yogurt, tahini, seeds and honey
    L – salad leafs, chopped pear, blue cheese, flakes of trout, walnuts and a small spoon of dressing
    D – Chicken, salad, cheese shavings, pomegranate sauce.

• posted by Giz
    on

Oh no…. I had a whole pack of the peppered mackerel fillets…. 514cals for the pack!!😱😱
    But very low in carbs!! Is this ok? More for future reference!!😓😓😳

• posted by Giz
    on

What is the best yogurt?? Fage full fat? All seem to be quite high in carbs! I love the SKYR one!

• posted by Frog
    on

wow – that’s a lot of mackerel! – I often pick smoked mackerel up in the supermarkets but then put it back because the packs are so big, and as much as I love it, don’t want to be eating it for days on end.
    Does it freeze well? (although I still need to clear space in my freezer!)

I went to a local market on Sunday – they were just on closing up, I bought two large punnets of rasberries for £1, and 4 avocados for 50p.
    For breakfast I had poached egg, avocado and TOAST – small slice of bread, only weighed 25g, and lots of lovely seeds and stuff. Very filling, and I didn’t have lunch.
    For supper I had a gram flour pancake/tortilla type thing, with bean salad and cottage cheese.
    Followed by raspberries with fage yogurt.
    So 700 calories and 56g of carbs – bit over on carbs, but I usually am on days when I don’t have meat or fish.

I bought some really nice tea last week, so currently drinking a flavoured black tea mostly that is best without milk, so no calories or carbs to add on for the milk, and lots of sugar free lemon squash.

• posted by weescotty
    on

Frog, both Aldi & Marks & Spencer sell mackerel in small quantities( about two portions for me) with herbs, lemon etc dressing as well as plain.

• posted by Frog
    on

thanks weescotty – I’ll look out for those.
    I suppose that I shop in waitrose mostly, and the packs always seem to have at least eight fillets in – even sharing with the cat, that’s a lot to get through (and she is less keen on the ones with pepper on top)
    I just looked online and the 200g packs at Aldi look a lot more sensible – there’s not one really close, but there’s one that I drive near occasionally when I visit friends.

• posted by weescotty
    on

Hahaha Frog. Now got a picture on my mind of your reluctant cat looking woefully at plate of mackerel she doesn’t fancy. Bit salty for her? Sometimes too salty for me. I break it into bits on my plate and eat beetroot with it – I like the combination. Have been known to add cubes of peeled cucumber as well , helps dilute the saltiness.

• posted by Funkydoofamily
    on

Breakfast – Greek yogurt (60g) frozen berries, warmed (80g) seeds and nuts
    Lunch – 100g chicken, some olives and a bit of their oil, salad leaves, cucumber, tomato, pepper
    Tea – 2 rashers bacon, slice Rye bread, salad leaves, cucumber, avocado, houmous 1 dessert spoon.
    Total 815 cals.

• posted by SunnyB
    on

B – yogurt, raspberries, seeds and a drizzle of balsamic
    L – Parma ham, cheese and two Finn thins
    D – Salmon, salad and Caesar dressing

• posted by Epspecially
    on

Cauliflower rice and two eggs for breakfast (cauliflower rice baked in oven night before for dinner, chilli and cumin and corriander and tiny bit of oil and baked in the oven until crispy) +one square of 90% chocolate as was craving something sweet.

Green salad – kale, parsley, rocket and yellow pepper, sauerkraut and tuna for lunch

Bolognese sauce and courgetti noodles for dinner.

AND THEN!! friend visiting and brought me marzipan ball things and another chocolate thing and we sat up really late chatting eating cheese and had a few of the marzipan things and a piece of dark chocolate and a biscuit wafer thing. Felt sick this morning, like a hangover – and annoyed that I had just mindlessly eaten things I didnt actually want. First time in 7 weeks really but interesting how easy it is to slip back into things. Interestingly it was yesterday that people have started saying to me ooo you look like you’ve lost weight!! Wonder is there a connection – getting complacent because I feel like it’s working… Also had really bad night sleep the night before so I know now tiredness makes me slip into usual old habits that I have shaken for the last good few weeks.
    Anyway, today is a new day and though I feel rubbish now, I am going to drink loads of water and eat really well today and tomorrow will be feeling back to normal. Putting it here to inspire myself! Honestly I feel hungover – if this is how even a bit too much extra sugar makes me feel, I dont want it – Not worth it at all! Guess it’s tiredness too. Not a big disaster but just interesting to look at it as have gone from that kind of thing now and dont want to go back.

• posted by Igorasusual
    on

Please dont beat yourself up – very minor slip and look how many useful lessons learned.

You feel hungover from the carbs and the sugar – interesting. Hang on to that as next time temptation beckons you will be able to choose if the pleasure is worth the pain.
    You see how mindless eFing creeps up and now you will be much more alert for it happening and stop it.
    You know what to do to get back on track and are already doing it – and therefore limiting the damage (if any) so further blips are totally remediable.

Congratulations! Sounds a worthwhile fall off the wagon to learn all that!

Good luck today, feel better and onwards and downwards ! 🙂

• posted by SunnyB
    on

Epspecially, don’t beat yourself up, we have all slipped up and whilst it’s good to feel a bit guilty and recognise the error, there is no point making yourself feel awful, as it is counterproductive and it more likely you’ll transgress again. Just be sure to recognise the triggers, chalk it up to experience and move on. Have a bit of a detox today and get back on track and I’m sure you will find there is little damage done when it comes to weigh-in time.
    I recently spent ten weeks away, during which there were a few blips in sticking to the BSD, but overall the damage done was limited and getting back to the regime properly was simple and I’m sure your will find the same after this little upset.

• posted by Epspecially
    on

Thanks million SunnyB and Igorasusual – you’ll keep me motivated!
    Good to hear you bounced back into it easily SunnyB. And yes true enough, definitely some good to be got from noticing why stuff happens so I can chose better the next time!

• posted by Epspecially
    on

Breakfast: 1 egg, 2 rashers, piece of white pudding, of black pudding, half an avocado (still had visitor and was avoiding the bread..worked out this was 524 calories – really wouldn’t advise this combination for anyone!! :-))

Lunch: Big green salad of kale, corriander, spinach, parsley from garden, and bit of a nori sheet

teaspoon of sunflower seeds for snack +one piece of 90% chocolate

Dinner: Small portion of homemade bolognese sauce,
    28g of fage yoghurt with some cinamon in it.

Managed close enough to 800 calories so back on track. Am noticing how the weird feeling behind my eyes is back again today. Had this for the first week starting out, and it disappeared but it looks like a few too many carbs the day before yesterday and it’s back a few steps – though it’ll be gone soon! Forwards and onwards again! 🙂

• posted by SunnyB
    on

Breakfast was half a ‘cinnamon bread’ – recipe on this site, with a slither of smoked cheese on top.
    Lunch was cauliflower rice/couscous, with diced chicken and a drizzle of Nar Sauce (pomegranate sauce from Turkey)
    Dinner will be sea bass, cauliflower rice/couscous run through with spring onion, diced cucumber, baby sweetcorn and asparagus, all with a big squeeze of lemon juice.

• posted by Timmy
    on

Breakfast, as usual was chopped nuts and seeds with a blob (technical term) of full fat yoghurt and some frozen berries.

Lunch was salad with chicken

Tea will be chicken and lentil bake (the one I posted in the recipe section).

• posted by Epspecially
    on

Yum chicken and lentil bake sounds great, as does sea bass and cauliflower rice yum!

I had an egg, some tomatoes and slice of mozzarella for breakfast

Mackerel, kale, green salad mix and sauerkraut for lunch, and a few olives

Anchovies, courgette and carrot spiralised and cooked in butter, and slice of haloumi and one delicious date! 😹👏 (the edible kind😜)

• posted by Imogen
    on

B: Greek yogurt and raspberries

L: Salmon, cauliflower rice, teaspoon of pesto sauce.

D: Salad of spinach, 1/2 small cooked beetroot, mackerel strip, 10g feta, and vinegar.

Fishy day!😊

• posted by Jillf
    on

Can someone please tell me if you strain the apple juice off the raisins in the Bircher or just include it? Thanks so much
    Jill

• posted by Imogen
    on

Hi Jill,

The recipe doesn’t say anything about straining off the juice. I think if you soak the raisins overnight they may absorb most of the juice anyhow…so my guess would be to include it!

Imogen

Please log in or register to post a reply.