What do we do about a holiday?

We have not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you are have any health related symptoms or concerns, you should contact your doctor who will be able to give you advice specific to your situation.

• posted by verity
    on

We are on week 3 of 8 week BSD, unfortunately without GP support.

We are booked to go on holiday , 9 days travelling northern Europe by train and visiting family in Copenhagen.

How vital is it to remain strictly adherent to the diet during this time? What efect will it have during this treatment phase, or can we do 5:2 and then add more time with 800 calories for extra time afterwards?

Also, I am the diet buddy for my partner, I do also need to loose wieght. How do I know when to stop?

This is such a wonderful opportunity, we are so excited by the potential of this diet. We also want to know how to get support if the GP is not onside

• posted by sunshine-girl
    on

I guess one of you is T2 as you mention the doctor (just read your profile). First of all how many weeks will you have done before you go on holiday. Will you have completed 8 weeks. Holidays and life in general do get in the way but that is the point of having a full and healthy life, the treats are as important as the treatment. My advice for the holiday is to try to stick with the low carb rule and not to eat any of the bad carbs, it can be done. I have had several holidays in the 10 months on the plan and have gained a little weight and lost it again and made things slower but have never damaged my Blood Glucose levels, you just have to be strict and say no to carbs. Northern Europeans eat quite healthily, I even noticed chia seed pudding when in Norway last week. Just don’t expect miracles and accept that not everything can be planned for.

As your partner was only diagnosed last year there is every chance he can jump start his pancreas but sometimes it is about getting good control and ditching the meds rather than a ‘cure’.

Now for the doctor. Ignore him and nod and smile then go away and do the diet and as BG goes down relook at the meds and maybe reduce. I would not tell you to stop taking any meds but there are lots of people on this site you have reduced and even completely ditched them. Look for some of the posts, especially about Metformin. Also keep a close eye on BG as it can drop quite quickly. Briefly, I was 11.4 before diet, tried on my own and got down to 8.2, started diet 6 weeks before my next HbA1c and was 6.9 and now 5.4. I have just been on a cruise so not expecting BG improvements on next test in June but hope to have stayed around 5.4. Also I have reduced my insulin from 38 units to 24 and cut glicazide from 90mg to 60mg as I was getting very low readings in the afternoon. Your doctor will surely see a great improvement and that will be all the convincing he/her will need.

Good luck to you both – by the way, my cholesterol has gone from 6.9 to 3.4, BP from 140/85 to 110/65 and triglycerides down from seriously high to under acceptable levels. Keep on keeping on and enjoy your holiday.

• posted by verity
    on

Hello sunshine girl, you are doing so well. Thank you for the advice and encouragement.

Please log in or register to post a reply.