weightloss,disability and exercise

We have not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you are have any health related symptoms or concerns, you should contact your doctor who will be able to give you advice specific to your situation.

• posted by mistywoods
    on

I desparetly need to lose weight. since being on high doses of 2 different types of insulin I have put on so much weight. I am at my heaviest of 17 stone 4. as I am disabled I cant do any exercises, even walking slowly is out for me. please if any one has any ideas, I would really be grateful.

• posted by gateofheaven
    on

I too, cannot exercise, but i am still losing weight. Because of the insulin, i would be sure to be under a doctor’s care.

• posted by mistywoods
    on

can I ask you how please. the only time I can lose weight is when I stop my insulin, which I shouldn’t really do.

• posted by mistywoods
    on

any tips you can give me, I would be really grateful.

• posted by gateofheaven
    on

I am following the diet to a T for 8 weeks. Start week 5 tomorrow. No deviations, but i am pre-diabetic and am on no medication for it. I am on high dose steroids which also interfere with weight loss and cause significant weight gain. Most of the time, I have no hunger, but on occasion i am hungry enough to eat the frig door, lol because the steroid level had to be boosted. But i just persevered because the significant weight loss is motivating. i am losing more weight than i ever have. Probably not as fast now as many others, but it is going in the right direction. After many weeks, i’ve lost 19 pounds and have about 95 to go.

I think patience and taking the time to read the book and other resources on this website is key.

Key: As Dr. Mosley says, the 800 calories causes significant weight loss and that IS motivating.

Only you and your doctor would know whether you can tolerate the 800 calories for 8 weeks. If not that, why not try the Mediterranean diet for most of the week and then go to 800 calories one or two days a week? You would have to constantly check your blood sugars on both the regular Mediterranean diet and the 800 calorie diet and adjust your insulin levels as needed. How to do that would be up to you and your doctor. Perhaps staring off slowly might be helpful. The diet works. I have autoimmune pancreatitis and it is slowly destroying my pancreas. While i may have to go onto insulin later, at this time i do not need to. I don’t expect the diet at that time to bring down the blood sugars, but the weight loss is a significant piece and will help with other problems. With good supervision, I think you would do well.

From the FAQ’s : You SHOULD NOT do a low calorie / fasting diet if you are:

Underweight and/or have a history of an eating disorder
    Under 18 years of age
    Breastfeeding
    Diagnosed with a significant psychiatric disorder
    Frail or recovering from surgery
    Under active investigation or treatment or have a significant medical condition affecting ability to comply with diet and / or
    On certain medications
    A Type 1 diabetic
    Unwell or have a fever

You should also confirm with your doctor that you really are a type 2 diabetic as there are other rarer forms of diabetes that will not respond in the same way to weight loss.

Use CAUTION doing a low calorie / fasting diet & DISCUSS WITH DOCTOR if any of the following apply:

On insulin – detailed assessment & education by health professional to plan a suitable reduction in medication/insulin to avoid a drop in blood sugar.
    Type 1 diabetics and those who have other, rarer forms of the disease, like pancreatic or monogenic diabetes will not respond in the same way to weight loss

• posted by gateofheaven
    on

Oh yes, and drink water, water, water and take in salt per Dr. Mosley as needed. I found a good water filter and my water is now tasty and that makes a difference!

• posted by mistywoods
    on

thankyou. I really would like to try this but I don’t get help from my doctor, I tend to work things out myself. I must admit I am a bit nervous because of the insulin. I did speak to a general nurse and she didn’t recommend it. I hope that things carry on going well for you. it doesn’t matter if it takes you longer than others not on medication. the fact that you are losing weight, you should be proud of yourself.

• posted by gateofheaven
    on

Any chance that you could find another doctor to guide you? Dr. Mosley has suggestions for information for docs under resources.

If you know how to adjust your insulin according to your blood sugars, why not just try the regular Mediterranean diet first without calorie restriction? Most people lose weight on it. Basically you would be cutting out potatoes, white rice, sugar, flour, tropical fruits.

Here’s what Dr. Mosley says in one of the blogs:

Watching what you eat will make a difference
    Viewing 1 post (of 1 total)

Subscribe to receive an email every time a reply is posted • Save this topic to your favourites

posted by Michael
    on 15 Jan 2016 at 16:11
    Reply • Report post • permalink

Simply changing to a Mediterranean style low carb diet and by watching your portion sizes, you will make an impressive difference to your sugars and weight. Essentially this means cutting out the sugar, starchy carbs and the white stuff (white bread, pasta, processed cereals and rice), and boosting consumption of fats like olive oil. See how others are getting on and share what works for you. Good luck!

Subscribe to receive an email every time a reply is posted • Save this topic to your favourites
    Viewing 1 post (of 1 total)

• posted by gateofheaven
    on

Many folks on the blogs report that their doctors and nurses are not supportive, sadly. But they are bringing them around by educating them. You still have to eat! Why not the Mediterranean style?

• posted by mistywoods
    on

I will try it and see. I don’t really know much about insulin. so by going low carb, I know it will affect the insulin but I have no idea by how much. its very much trial and error.

• posted by gateofheaven
    on

Take a look at the blogs where others discuss insulin. I’m truly in over my head on that part and don’t want to give you incorrect information. It does take attention, awareness and a willingness to work with it. I have a very complex medical situation and must be very vigilant. But it has been worth checking my blood sugars multiple times a day to watch for any pancreas inflammation (the blood sugar rise dramatically in just a few hours. Then i must boost my prednisone and contact the do.

yes, it is all trial and error for each of us. The best thing i did was be gentle with myself during the changes.
    xoxo

• posted by mistywoods
    on

okay. thankyou for your help.

• posted by gateofheaven
    on

It sounds to me, that no matter what you choose to do, you’ll need to learn how to adjust the insulin for your safety’s sake.

• posted by gateofheaven
    on

another person who wants to discuss insulin. perhaps you could connect with her? there may be more. I vaguely remember other people discussing their insulin use.

Insulin Deficient – should I still give BSD a go?

posted by Mornhy
    on 28 Jan 2016 at 09:08
    Reply • Report post • permalink

I am Type 2 Diabetic and been advised that I am insulin deficient rather than resistant. I’m on Metformin and just started insulin (1 dose 10 units daily, I’m on day 4). I’ve talked about this diet and Professor Roy Taylor’s work with my doctor and insulin nurse a couple of times now and they are not keen at all but I really want to give it a go. I’d obviously prefer to do it with medical support but as I am not overweight and my blood pressure is low (my only really good statistic). My body fat is a bit on the high side which must mean there is some fat in liver and pancras surely?. Any advice on how to approach insulin nurse next week in my first check up since going on insulin? I was thinking I could give it till the 2 week review to convince them.

Thanks

• posted by Hopeful
    on

Hi
    I am on Insulin twice daily, and Byetta twice daily.
    Since I have been on the BSD my blood sugar has gone down so I have been able to lower my insulin intake and this has also helped me to lose weight, nearly a stone, and all I have done in the way of excersize is walk a bit more.
    Give it a go, the diet will help you loseweight even if you’re not running a marathon!!!
    Good luck

• posted by mistywoods
    on

how did you know how to lower your insulin. the fast acting one I take with food is easier to work out but the 24 hour one, I have no idea?

• posted by Hopeful
    on

You will need to record your BS readings before and after eating for at least a week,note how much lower your readings are, then ask your Diabetic nurse how many units you need to take with your 24 hour now that your readings are lower.
    Hope that helps.
    Keep at it, you can lose weight on this diet.

• posted by mistywoods
    on

thankyou for your advice. im really pleased that you are losing weight. I deffinately want to try this.

• posted by Hopeful
    on

CARB,CALORIE,FAT etc

Does anyone know where I can find the carb,calorie,fat etc, content of a meal I want to make for myself???
    I know My Fitness Pal does it but you have to list every ingredient separately and it takes ages.
    Many thanks

• posted by malkay
    on

Hi Hopeful
    I have just bought a book called ‘Carbs and Cals’, which lists hundreds of foods and ingredients. Its basically just a book full of all the nutritional values of just about every food you can think of. Its available on Amazon, and there is a pocket version as well. It has been invaluable to me, as I have also struggled a bit putting in all the details to MyFitnessPall. Hope that helps.

Please log in or register to post a reply.