Week ten still on 800 cal

We have not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you are have any health related symptoms or concerns, you should contact your doctor who will be able to give you advice specific to your situation.

• posted by Wendymay54
    on

Hi all Andy is type 2 on no med under doctor to see how things are going till week 12 when he will do a hba1c test to get results for sugar levels, my question is he has been eating only 800 cal and under 50 carbs since on the diet everything is home made by me I check ingredients weighte etc to make sure things are correct but his sugars are still around 8 of 9 most days . For the first 6 weeks very little exercise was done but now 20 min everyday on tredmill and 10 sit ups a day and work throughout the day Builders work his weight has gone down by 2 stone and is around 77 kilo BP 120/79 app so these are excellent is there anything else I can do for him to get the bs down to normal or will he have to go on some med to help, he gets very upset that these have not fallen by now around week 5 they where going lower but then they started to rise and have sat there at the 8/9 levels any help would be good many thanks

• posted by KrysiaD
    on

Just wondering if these are fasting blood sugars? Bill1954’s thread ‘this has to work for me’ mentions this issue. He found that fasting blood sugar readings were really unreliable and stopped testing them. If I have remembered correctly he does pre and post meal readings (but not pre-breakfast). He got his HBA1C down to normal but fasting blood sugar wasn’t (probably caused by the Dawn phenomenon). Andy’ stats are brilliant.

• posted by Wendymay54
    on

These readings are first thing and then vary throughout the day is this range, but I must say Sun just gone had a reading of 6.4 which we thought going in right direction and then bam another high reading so annoying. So this morning done bs first reading 9.1 then done one 1 hr later 10.4 then 1 minute later 7.4 machine has been changed 4 times with doctor as old machine doing the same with diffrent readings in small amount of time have also calobrated machine so not really sure what happens in this 1 minute not even eaten or done nothing.Does anybody think he should go on a tablet now or stick with the 800 cal for 2 more weeks then get the hba1c done should he up cal to 1200 thanks

• posted by KrysiaD
    on

The readings are very strange. When this has happened to me I have washed my hands thoroughly – dried them with paper towel and then tested again. A tiny invisible trace of food will mess up the readings – sending them sky high. It has happened to me – even when I had thought I had washed my hands ok. If it was me I would take 1 hour and two hour after food readings for a couple of weeks. The HB1AC and after meal readings will show the doctor whether he should go on metformin. Has he got any more weight to lose. Could he be fat on the inside – thin on the outside like Dr Mosely? A lot of people have stayed on 800 after the 8 weeks because they have more weight to lose.

• posted by Wendymay54
    on

Hi no really happy at weight that is, always cleaning and changing needles so strange to get these readings not sure which to follow, how do I know about fat on the inside, thought by now would be gone ??, how long should he stay on the 800 any help would be great thanks Wendy

• posted by Igorasusual
    on

Wendy

I think he should get a HbA1c test from the doctor/nurse and then have a discussion with the doctor after the results are in – as Krysia suggests.

If his weight is fine, then you could increase his calories a bit but keep off the refined carbs and keep total carbs under 50g per day. This should maintain the good he has done for his visceral fat/blood sugar but stop weight loss.

Then you can discuss it all with the doctor.

Hope that helps! 🙂

• posted by Wendymay54
    on

Hi yes hba1c is going to be done in 2 weeks, so he gets a 12 week cycle as to where he is over that period. What does anybody think is good calories to go up to while I keep his carb low, also after the 12 weeks he is going to do the 5 & 2 what is the calorie count for this does he go up to recommended allowance for a man or shall I keep him lower then this with the low carbs.
    Its so great knowing I can get help on here its been tough keeping count of food while doing this diet, but with his sugars up around 18/20 he needed to do this the Meds where being taken at 1000 metformin x 2 daily along with bp meds he has come off all these and the results have been fantastic, just hope the hba1c comes back really good other wise he will have to start taking a tablet again of some sort unless anybody has any other ideas?? Many thanks

• posted by Igorasusual
    on

Try this site, Wendy – enter his details, activity level etc., and it will give you a figure for base metabolism calories required.

http://keto-calculator.ankerl.com

You can then, if you want, add in the carbs as 50g per day, and it will recommend grams of protein and of fat. Which you can then enter on MyFitnessPal if you are using that.

Hope this helps.

Please log in or register to post a reply.