Week 5, dizziness may be low blood pressure?

We have not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you are have any health related symptoms or concerns, you should contact your doctor who will be able to give you advice specific to your situation.

• posted by lorenz
    on

G’day
    I am 61 years old man and had type 2 for some 9 years. I am generally healthy, 1.79 meters short and my starting weight was 78kg. I just started week 5 and have lost so far 8 kg. Weight loss last week was only 0.6 kg. I calculate all my food exactly and have been active, even went kayaking (gentle paddle for about 3 hours). I am off my medication for 3 weeks now and fasting sugar is between 5 and 5.5. So far all good.
    However, I get increasingly dizzy when getting up. The last few days, after crouching for a few minutes, I have to support myself, I am this dizzy. Is anyone experiencing the same? I suspect low blood pressure, but do not have a gizmo to measure it.

• posted by shalimar
    on

I am not a doctor …
    sometimes drug stores will ave a blood pressure cuff.
    Did you just go off medication on your own? did you reduce it gradually?
    3 hours of kayaking …. it may be a little much at one time
    Maybe you could save a little snack for late night ….

If your weight loss has slowed …. your body may be indicating it needs to relax and adjust a little
    You may actually want to see a doctor.

Just a few suggestions.

• posted by topcac
    on

Hi lorenz – It could be due to lack of salt or lack of water – or both. I had dizzy spells from day one and this continued for about 2 weeks but it has abated now – I upped my salt intake (and increased my water as a result). If in doubt get it checked but if it’s due to low blood pressure then there’s no medication for that – however I guess you do the opposite of what you would do if BP was high – which is cut down on salt! Up the salt! (not a doctor either) 🙂

• posted by Fit_My_Jeans_Again
    on

From your post (metric/g’day!) I’m guessing you’re Australian but in case not then my friend told me there’s a funny bug going around London and dizziness is a symptom (along with nausea). Think I’ve got a very low key version myself 😷

• posted by lorenz
    on

Its been a few weeks since my last post. I went to see my doctor and he ordered some blood tests, but all was ok.
    Interesting was the salt issue as topcac mentioned, I had a real craving for salt during that time.
    I continued with the diet a little bit longer, but felt increasingly sick and gave up. I did 6 weeks and 6 days. I am now eating again normal (healthy) as before, my BMI is 22. My fasting sugar went up a little bit and is now between lower 6 and once in a while high 6. And the best news is that I am medication free!!!!!!

I plan to have another go in February and aim for a BMI of 20

Please log in or register to post a reply.