Week 2 and a significant drop in energy levels – to be expected?

We have not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you are have any health related symptoms or concerns, you should contact your doctor who will be able to give you advice specific to your situation.

• posted by domo
    on

Hi, my first post! Short history about me, I went to the docs last week to get the results on a blood test which revealed my HbA1c to be 41. So very close to pre-diabetic. The doctor suggested the 8 week blood sugar diet and provided me with necessary details so I could order the book.

Back to present day. I’ve just completed day 9 but the last 48 hours have been a real struggle. Up to that point I was able to go for long walks and even run a couple if miles. But currently I feel so so tired. I commute into London, and it’s over a mile to the station from my house then another mile of walking the other end. I’ve done this for nearly 8 years without struggling but the last couple of days feel like I’m just managing. Steps knock me for six once I get to the 2nd floor. Never the case before.

I’m hoping this is some kind of transition owing to the dramatic cut in carbs, maybe a delayed onset. Some advice would be welcome, has anyone else been through this?

• posted by EclecticRajistani
    on

Hi Domo,
    Hopefully others can give you more technical info but I have to empathise with the tiredness at the stage you are at. I was dog tired. I have found having some early nights has really helped. Also adding strength resistance to my workout is giving me an extra boost. Having said all this if you are worried in anyway go to your GP? Always best to check these things out.

Sorry I couldn’t be more helpful. Hope all is going well on the BSD and here’s to more energy for you.
    All the best

• posted by Mixnmatch
    on

It does sound like you are struggling with the conversion to burning fat, leaving you with what is known as ‘carb flu’ by some. If your symptoms are caused by this, then the best thing to do is persevere. Try adding even more healthy fat to your diet, make sure you are getting enough added salt and maybe try a multivitamin every couple of days, to try to make sure you are not missing some essential nutrient. Above all, make sure you are drinking at least 3 litres a day.

• posted by JGwen
    on

The other thing I would suggest is maybe adding L-Carnitine supplement. There is a range of research that people who are Insulin Resistant benefit by taking it as a supplement which suggests it will help during the carb flu stage of transiting to fat burning. – It is an amino acid needed in the process of converting fat into fuel. The main source in our diets is meat, but as we are counting calories you may be eating a reduced amount of meat and the next 8 out of the top ten are off the menu for someone eating low carb.
    I found it helpful myself, but I don’t eat meat.

Please log in or register to post a reply.