very low blood glucose

We have not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you are have any health related symptoms or concerns, you should contact your doctor who will be able to give you advice specific to your situation.

• posted by sunshine-girl
    on

I have just finished week 1 and my bg has gone from 11 to a more normal 6.5. Today I had a leisurely swim for half an hour and checked before I got in pool, 6.1, but had dropped to 3.3 when I got out. To me this is a scary number and I felt shaky and sweating. Question: What should I eat when this happens – it was asking a nutritionist this question that ruined my numbers as she told me to eat BREAD or SWEET JUICE. I don’t expect anyone on this site to tell me that.

What I did was have a slice of ham, still felt shaky so started to munch on the raw veg I was preparing for dinner (curry). Was that okay and when is ‘low’ seriously too low.

Many thanks

• posted by Ziggy
    on

Glucose tablets, or jelly babies are good for low BGs. Protein will do nothing to raise your BGs. How long have you been diabetic? Your body is probably adjusting to the shock of coming down to a more normal BG. Exercise can also cause your BGs to drop.

Under 3 for most diabetics is considered to be heading towards hypoglycemic shock. Also for a person who is used to a normal BG of 11, 3.3 is a real shock to your body.

I gained a lot of this from an excellent Diabeties forum I am a member of.

• posted by sunshine-girl
    on

Thank you Ziggy, although well meaning it is taking high sugar or high carb remedies is what got my blood so high in the first place. A little history. Diabetic for 10 years, never had any problem controlling b/g. I had really good HBA1C’S for many years, usually around 5.5. My doctor said I was a star patient because I kept b/g and weight down. One day for no reason I had a hypo. My b/g was 6.8 pre breakfast, then I ate a breakfast of 2 weetabix, sat down to watch Lorraine and saw the telly screen moving about, called my husband and blacked out and vomitted. So no reason for hypo.

It scared me a bit but mainly scared my husband who sent me to see the doctor, who sent me to see a nutritionist who put me on a high carb diet. She said if I ate carbs at every meal I would keep a stable b/g, despite the fact I had never had unstable readings or previous hypo. Anyway, I trusted her advice and after 4 months my HBA1C was 11, my weight had also increased by 4 kg so I stopped eating high carb but (not having found this diet) just cut out too much bread and got my HBA1C down to 8.1 and then I found this diet. That is why I don’t want to counteract low readings by having glucose tablets (pure sugar), jelly babies or anything else like that. I will take the earlier advice of having some nuts, a couple of prunes or a slice of meat. But thank you anyway.

I don’t know what forum you use but I have not found one that recommends this diet, just high carb, low fat, and all the traditional thinking. This is a new world. Let me know what it is called and I will have a look.

Many thanks for your interest and for answering my post.

Please log in or register to post a reply.