Veggie Burgers/Fritters/Rissoles – WANTED a No Fail Great Recipe please

We have not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you are have any health related symptoms or concerns, you should contact your doctor who will be able to give you advice specific to your situation.

• posted by barby
    on

Good morning all.
    I am not a natural cook, but I’ve really been trying since on this regime – have been scouring the internet trying to find some tasty veggie burgers to cook and freeze. My lentil burger was a mushy disaster, some are still frozen but don’t think I’ll ever eat the rest. Yesterday I spent ages grating and squeezing courgettes, the kitchen was a green wet mess, likewise the blobs. I can’t make anything like the yummy ones I’ve had occasionally when out.

Before I give up totally and stick with my Linda McCartney sausages (getting bored with them) have any of you got a favourite recipe that I could have … please?

There is one recipe Michael put on (see below) – no one has reviewed. I would like some pulses in mine if poss, or I suppose could do with quorn. I also love Greek flavours.

medium sized burgers- Best with flavours eg chilli
    2 medium sized courgettes
    2 red peppers
    20g pine kernels
    Parsley chopped to garnish
    Olive oil
    Squeeze of lemon
    Salt & ground black pepper
    1 cup of Quinoa
    Half a chicken or vegetable stock cube

• posted by Basma910
    on

Good morning
    I am trying to be a creative cook to my likky😅. Try this my delicious recipie
    Ingredient
    800gm veal shoulde from sainsbury store(test the difference )
    1tin of chic peas
    1 tin chopped tomato
    2 tbs of dried red lentil
    1 medium size onion (optional)
    2garlic gloves
    1/2 tbs Garam masala
    Salt & pepper, Chilli flakes, mild curry, citric acid as you like

Chopp the meat in big chunks ,sear it in 1 tbs veg oil add onion and soften it then add chopped tomato + 1liter of boiled water + lentil and chic peas. Bring it to boil for 10 minute then reduce heat for another one hour to simmer. Add flavouring and stir it and leave to simmer for another 10 minutes.
    I usually divide it in 4-5 portions and eat it with lettuce leaves insteade of bread or rice.
    Hope you will enjoy it

• posted by orchid
    on

Hi Barby, haven’t spoken to you for a while – how are you getting on?!
    Can you tell me what the recipe name is that you are looking at please as I have been through the Recipe section twice and cannot find it anything with the ingredients you have above! If I can see how it is made, I may be able to help.
    I must admit I do rarely eat the burger or sausage style veggie foods and only use the sausages now and again in a vegetable stew.
    In terms of making veggie burgers – like you – they end up a mess. It does not help when people give recipes that say 1 courgette, as opposed to 10oz courgette. A courgette can range in size and is a very wet vegetable – so a large courgette used in a recipe when a small one was required can be twice as much courgette as you need!
    If you like the flavours above, why not make it up and fill a red pepper with the mixture, or split red pepper in two and fill both parts? Another option is to put on top of a large grilled Portobello mushroom. If you want to add some protein, a couple of slices halloumi cheese on top of the mushrooms or peppers an grilled just before serving works well. The mix can be frozen as is, or frozen in the peppers and the cheese added once defrosted and reheated.
    Whilst looking through the recipes, I saw one I will try from Hashimoto – courgette bhajis. She gives the exact amounts in her recipe so it is more likely to work. Would that work for you as a burger style food?
    Anyhow – let me know the recipes name and I will look at it as well as having a look through my recipe books this afternoon for some ideas for you.

• posted by barby
    on

Hi Orchid, thanks for trying to help. I feel a right idiot now :). sorry , I quickly searched and found burger with griddled veg, and assumed it was a recipe for a burger containing the veg – no of course it is a ready made meat burger! with veg accompaniment.

The ones I actually tried to make were a lentil burger and a courgette one – have dismissed them both now. recipes from internet

I like the idea of a crushed pulses and veg mix, but maybe I should consider a veg loaf instead, with some cheese on top. Could then slice and freeze it, and eat hot or cold. From what I’ve read, it is quite an art to make a successful veggie burger.

I have just found this site – http://www.vegetarianrecipesmag.com/vegetarian-recipes/vegetable-gratin and this gratin looks good. I ave the ingredients so will try it tomorrow.

The courgette bhajis sound nice thanks, may try them, and good to take to work also. I like the stuffed peppers, have done them before.

I have been doing this about 6 weeks now, and have lost a stone. (I didn’t weigh for about first week so maybe more) I did get a bit disappointed when I read of the huge losses many have, but I feel better, and am in smaller size., so I’m very happy. The unique thing is, I don’t have the cravings to binge now, it is truly amazing, never felt this way before ever – so far I just feel I can do this long term. Very happy.

• posted by barby
    on

Thanks for the idea Basma910, but I am vegetarian, so don’t eat meat. Sounds tasty though.

• posted by Basma910
    on

Hi barby
    My apologies , l am new on BSD. I lost 3.5 kg /first week. Today is my day one of week 2. May I suggest a recipie of falafel, really delicious especially with yoghurt, tahini and lots of salad.

• posted by orchid
    on

Hi Barby – easy mistake 🙂
    Veg loaf sounds good, and yes it is great for freezing afterwards. I was looking around and most of the recipes I have are quite high carbs so would need to be a small part of the meal. I did find a few recipes on the BBC website for veggie burgers – http://www.bbc.co.uk/food/collections/5_very_good_veggie_burgers
    I don’t understand how some of them hold together….. from many years ago trying to make meat burgers, you always added a binding agent – usually egg so get them to stick together and stay together in the pan. The Quinoa and halloumi burger I will look at and try – maybe next week as it does have an egg in it so I can see it keeping together. I need to see the carb count in it first because if it is just 0.5 of a burger on the plate for a sensible carb content, it is not worth cooking! I may look at an alternative for the quinoa – buckwheat maybe and see how that goes. The egg trick is worth thinking about for some of the recipes that did not work – maybe that was what was missing?
    I’ll let you know if I get them done.
    You weight loss is good – one dress size down in 6 weeks is wonderful! Keep going – we are all different and it is very hard to make sensible comparisons – the main thing is to have sensible goals and dress size is a great one; as is no longer having carb cravings.

• posted by barby
    on

Thanks Orchid, I did use egg with the courgettes, but I think they were not dry enough – even though I’d drained them and squeezed, just too much trouble to do again. I also added some gram flour.

I just found this https://cookingonabootstrap.com/2015/01/31/carrot-cumin-kidney-bean-burger-9p/ which I may try, with addition of a little egg, as some said it was crumbly. Will let you know if they work.

Yes I found a lovely old Cranks nut loaf recipe, but way too many cals for me at the moment. When I’ve lost 5 stone, maybe as a treat 🙂

Please log in or register to post a reply.