Vegetables

We have not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you are have any health related symptoms or concerns, you should contact your doctor who will be able to give you advice specific to your situation.

• posted by Lucylow
    on

I’ve just started the 8 week and it’s going well, love the recipes but the veg serving with it isn’t very clear. Is it ok to have unlimited amount of green veg or should it be weighed too?

• posted by Hedds
    on

I have been weighing my veg, but not sure that’s right. It would be good to know.
    Hedds

• posted by Michael (BSD Admin)
    on

We would encourage you to have a generous amount of green and non starchy vegetables with your food. They fill you up, the fibre makes any carbs slow release and they are very good for your gut bacteria too! They need to take up at least half of your plate if that helps with measurements, but you probably don’t need to weigh them.

• posted by Lucylow
    on

Thank you, nice to know I’m getting it right.

• posted by pmshrink
    on

That’s a relief!
    Penny

• posted by gateofheaven
    on

For the heck of it, I weighed the low-carb veggies I was eating and they added up to 50 plus calories a day! I guess for me, i need to keep track of those cuties, 🙂 .

• posted by Bordercol
    on

Very interested in Michael’s comment regarding gut bacteria, having watched the recent Trust Me and then done some further reading on the subject.
    Any chance of a prebiotic soup recipe that would give the maximum benefit to gut bacteria within a 200 calorie portion?
    Also, could you clarify whether the bacteria toward the end of the system still benefit if prebiotic vegetables such as Jerusalem artichokes, chicory, asparagus stems , onions have been both cooked and then puréed in soup? Maybe it’s better just to chomp down a bit of raw chicory every day? If so, how much?

• posted by Clare (BSD Admin)
    on

Hi Bordercol – what a great idea to make a prebiotic soup! it could include leeks, onions and jerusalem artichokes. Sounds tasty. Perhaps add a bit of milk or cream. We might try making it. Will upload to the recipe section when we do..
    Clare (Michael’s wife)

• posted by Bill1954
    on

I made a big pan of chicken broth using a handful of pearl barley garlic mushrooms, onions, leeks, celariac, carrots, celery, and believe it or not, cabbage (whizzed in the processor).
    Hot, tasty, very filling, and enough for 8 – 10 meals

Please log in or register to post a reply.