Vegetables…

We have not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you are have any health related symptoms or concerns, you should contact your doctor who will be able to give you advice specific to your situation.

• posted by Embob
    on

Hi Everyone

I am gearing up to start the diet on Tuesday, tomorrow I will go shopping for my first weeks ingredients. I was just wondering if anyone could tell me whether you are allowed to add extra veg to your meals? Not root veg or those high in carbs but others?

Many thanks

• posted by SallyM
    on

Hi Embob, I’m a week in and still learning so will be interested in the answer too. I think green veg, broccoli, spinach etc would be unlimitable? But not sure?
    After years of slimming world finding it difficult to adjust to what I can and can’t eat! For example would NEVER have eaten avocado on slimming world but was allowed reasonable number of bananas, grapes etc
    Am I right in thinking not to eat bananas on bsd?

• posted by hashimoto
    on

Hi SallyM – you still need to count carbs and calories on this diet!
    No bananas or grapes on the BSD – it is all about cutting SUGARs from the diet!

Avocados, FULL FAT yoghurt and cream cheese, cheese, butter, olive oil are all GOOD on the BSD. Unlike SW you need to eat some fat at every meal.
    Try to keep your carbs below 50g a day. You can use calorieking – but remember to deduct the fibre from the carb count.

If you want more ideas check out the ‘what have you eaten today?’ thread.

If you haven’t bought the book yet I could suggest googling Daily Mail 8 week blood sugar diet for recipes from the book. ๐Ÿ™‚

If you are a British citizen could you sign the petition for us? Thanks ๐Ÿ™‚

There is also a recipe tab on the tool bar which you can check out. ๐Ÿ™‚

• posted by Janet1973
    on

Hi all, we should still be aiming for our five a day so, within the limitations described by Hashimoto above, make sure you add enough to cover it. Should be around 400g a day. Veg are generally the lowest calories to fill up on but not always the lowest carbs.

• posted by hashimoto
    on

Very true, Janet – I forgot to mention that ๐Ÿ™

• posted by Embob
    on

Thanks for your advice everyone ๐Ÿ™‚

• posted by hashimoto
    on

Hi Embob, how is it going? ๐Ÿ™‚

• posted by Embob
    on

Hi Hashimoto

It is going okay thankyou, I think! What do you mean when you say deduct the fibre or do I need to refer to the book?

I have been having heart burn since starting last Tuesday which surprised me a bit….is it unusual do you know?

Thanks for all your advice it really is appreciated xx

• posted by jimnz
    on

Embob,
    Tonight, we had our vegetables in the form of a stir fry. Into the electric fry pan I put some olive oil, broccoli, cauliflower, leek, red capsicum, zucchini. Then when it was all frying nicely, I added a splash or two of olive oil on top. This was eaten with some fresh fish (NZ Terekihi) also done in olive oil.
    Dessert was some Greek yoghurt with thawed frozen blue berries. Delicious!

Jim

• posted by Bill1954
    on

Hi Embob
    If a food label says carbohydrates 20 grams and then of which dietary fibre 6 grams, then the total carb count would be 14 grams.
    The same holds true if the labels list carbs and fibre separately. That’s in the UK anyway.

• posted by hashimoto
    on

Thanks for answering that bill, ive juzt got. In and slowly working through emails.
    Ive got friends coming for dinner (bsd style lol) so need to get some prep done! ๐Ÿ™‚

• posted by Bill1954
    on

No probs Judith, I thought you may have been digging trenches again or something equally as interesting ๐Ÿ™‚

• posted by hashimoto
    on

Well this morning seeing Alison for treatment – my sacroilliac joint causes problems by rotating out of position a bit.

Vegetables. – you won’t believe how many i have just chopped for crudite – let alone for the soup and the salmon parcels. Now to strawberries……
    ๐Ÿ™‚

• posted by hashimoto
    on

Oh Bill this will make you chuckle, Alison said it was a bit weird only massaging half the person she used to lol ๐Ÿ™‚

• posted by Bill1954
    on

I bet that made you feel good Judith.
    It’s nice when others notice the results of all your efforts.
    You’re going to look like Ronnie Corbett in that plane seat ๐Ÿ˜€

• posted by Embob
    on

Jimnz sounds delicious! And thanks Bill I think I understand it now ๐Ÿ™‚

• posted by hashimoto
    on

Bill, I was a bit surprised actually, I go every 6 weeks so didn’t think she would see such a big change!!!
    I like the idea of being like Ronnie Corbett on the plane – I would have so much more room!!

My red, pink and purple tulips were standing proudly above a fairly deep carpet of snow this morning! How is the weather by you?

I was going to go into town for some new swimming cosies but the hail storms have put me off. Doesn’t feel at all like cossie buying time! ๐Ÿ™

Please log in or register to post a reply.