Using My Fitness Pal to track calories

We have not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you are have any health related symptoms or concerns, you should contact your doctor who will be able to give you advice specific to your situation.

• posted by Leosmum1
    on

Hi all. My husband and I are quite new to this but sticking at it so far with only the odd blip. Anyway… wondered is anyone else using My Fitness Pal to track their calorie intake. I started this morning and was surprised to see a message warning me that I was basically starving myself and telling me off. Eeek. Bit frightening. Is there another calorie tracker that I can use that won’t give me a lecture please. All recommendations happily received.

• posted by Daisiesmum
    on

Lol! It’s a long held misconception that vlc diets are intrinsically unhealthy, I expect the creators of MFP feel duty bound etc. There may be a way to alter the settings so you don’t get the YOU HAVE BEEN WARNED message, I don’t use MFP so can’t advise, but if you are unable to resolve the issue, I recommend FatSecret app, you can set your own calorie level with a bit of twiddling around in settings (it’s quite easy).

Hope that helps, all the best on your BSD Journey!

• posted by Buddhas wife
    on

Hi Leos mum!
    I log all on MFP. I also noticed that when you want to end the days dairy you are warned and the weight loss prognos is not showing up.
    It was quite irritating so I emailed MFP support a couple of weeks ago and got a quick answer, see below.
    Their answer is fully understandable and I totally accept and agreed that the respect of people with medical (under-) eating disorder must come first.
    Hope this helps the two of you too.
    Maby in the future they can fix this for us. 😄

MFP supportteam:
    “We recently made changes to our diary completion feature, in large part, to discourage the abuse of MyFitnessPal by individuals struggling with eating disorders.

If you now fall below the National Institutes of Health recommendations of less than 1000 calories for women and 1200 for men, the 5 week projection will no longer appear, and the News Feed will not show as completed for the day.

We do understand some MyFitnessPal members may be on a lower calorie plan recommended directly by their doctor or nutritionist. We are still looking into better ways to help accommodate these special circumstances. We will share your feedback with our team and we appreciate your help and patience as we work to improve our program!”

• posted by Leosmum1
    on

Thank you both. I have now logged on to Fat Secret instead as it doesn’t make me feel guilty for eating less. Totally understand why MFP do this – put in these terms its understandable. Only problem with My Fat Secret is I am having to input lots of recipes as not as many people use it as MFP so it’s going to take a while for the data base of foods to catch up.

Nice to have other folk on this journey to chat to!

xx

• posted by Buddhas wife
    on

I’m pleased to hear that you found your way. Good luck!

Please log in or register to post a reply.