Use the online programme….or not

We have not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you are have any health related symptoms or concerns, you should contact your doctor who will be able to give you advice specific to your situation.

• posted by Karen19
    on

Morning, just wondering if any of you have used the previous online programmes that you pay for …seem to be hosted by an Australian company and whether you gained more help by doing the diet that way, other than the motivation to loose weight as you have put down hard cash? I have read the blurb about what you get but wonder if it is a tangible difference.

Thanks

• posted by sunshine-girl
    on

I thought the version advertised here was UK based but I could be wrong. I dont know of anybody on this site that have used the paid for 12 week diet plan, funny that it is 12 weeks but here it is 8 weeks. If you decide to go it alone you will find a lot of support and questions answered already on here.

• posted by Karen19
    on

Thanks Sunshine Girl

I am not sure about it being uk or not but you are right this community gives a lot of support. Am going to be majoring on keeping on track from Monday tho’ as think it all makes sense

• posted by Luckylil
    on

Hi Karen19,
    Sorry I didn’t see this earlier. I am in Scotland and joined the last intake of the Australian-based online programme. It is fully based on the work by Dr. Michael Mosely, and indeed his wife Dr. Clare Bailey, and is run by an Australian team including a nutritionist, exercise expert, doctor and others. The 12 week programme does encompass 8 full weeks of the BSD, but it also includes a one- week Orientation, two Implementation weeks and a final week of “Liberation”. Orientation is a week where you are introduced to the principles of the BSD, and given time to clear out the food cupboards, cut down on alcohol (if you drink 🙂 ), and generally get your head in the right place. Week 5 and 9 are Implementation Weeks where we are asked to create our own menus and shopping lists, and I think this is a really positive exercise, as that’s what we are going to be doing forever more. The programme’s eight weeks of BSD menus, recipes and shopping lists, completes the 12 week lineup.
    I am finding it excellent, as I was probably too lazy to sit down initially and plan menus and shopping lists. I also think justifying the fee to myself (and my husband, tee hee) did help me commit. But it’s different for each individual. Discipline is not my strongpoint.
    Like here, the group have an online forum and the fact that we are all at the same stage does make the posts very meaningful and helpful.
    So you pays your money (or not) and makes your choice. You know yourself best and good luck with whichever way you choose.
    Carole

• posted by Pidge
    on

Hi Karen19
    I’ve just started the online programme. I decided to make my change of eating into a ‘project’ and liked the idea of getting new info and menus every week. It somehow makes me feel more accountable (probably brainwashed by all the years of Weightwatchers…)
    The recipes are different, I would say a bit more hard-core, and are all available on the site from the start. All queries are answered very promptly and it seems a very professional outfit.
    I’m in UK and I have wanted to change my diet for a while but didn’t really know how to do it so the more examples of suitable recipes the better for me, especially as I don’t eat meat. The team are endlessly patient with people’s requests for food substitutions in the recipes. I’m actually choosing my own menu from the online recipes and also the BSD recipe book and it is going very well so far.
    As Carole says, you just need to weigh up whether it would help you enough to shell out the cash. At the moment I’m very happy with my own choice.
    Happy to respond to any queries, Pidge

• posted by sunshine-girl
    on

Having done this diet completely on my own I know that one of the hardest parts is getting started, clearing out the rubbish food, finishing the last couple of bottles of wine. Then you have to sit down and menu plan, calories count, carb count – next you have to shop. Then you are ready to do the diet – phew, yes it is a lot of work but worth it in the end. I still (after more than a year) sit down on a Sunday and think I cant be bothered with the planning. Fortunately, I type and print my menus so can just did in my file and pull out a complete week already prepared which I guess is almost what the paid for plan does for you. I think it sounds really good with all the prep work, the diet and then a wind down to see where you want to go next. I am lucky to be early retired so have plenty of time on my hands but not everyone is so lucky or has kids and families (just my and hubby and he eats what I give him, bless). So go for it, whatever works best for you and your lifestyle.

But question – Karen19, what decision did you make.

• posted by Spalmon
    on

Thanks to All for their thoughts on this as it is something I’m considering too. I’m in the ” slowly working myself up to it stage” at the minute, having been on a few months of really really unhealthy eating I’m starting to implement the principles and aim for five days on and two days off at first. The next group doesn’t start til the end of the month so we will see how I’m getting on by then , I know I always do better when I’m part of something so it could be helpful for me. As a vegetarian though I’m wondering if there is any extra help/ recipes etc ? Thanks x

• posted by Pidge
    on

Hi Spalmon
    I contacted the Aussie online team a couple of times with queries before I signed up because I am veggie and they were very helpful. Anita the nutritionist sent me a lot of info including a sample weekly menu so I could see whether it might suit me.
    Amongst the handouts which come with the plan is one which specifically covers veggie and vegan dietary needs and suitable substitutions for the recipes.
    Pidge

• posted by Spalmon
    on

Thanks Pidge that is really helpful I will make contact with them and see how I get on. It’s three weeks away until the next group starts. I had a pretty good first day, didn’t stick precisely to the 800 cals but considering I have been eating three times as much AT LEAST! I’m happy to have got to 1100, following the principles. I’ve had a good breakfast today, and despite a touch of what others have called the carb flu I am feeling ok. Glad I started on a weekend. It is scary How many carbs I must have been eating to be suffering withdrawal symptoms!
    Thanks for the information and have a great day Spalmon

• posted by Pidge
    on

Hi
    Thought I would report back now that I’ve finished the online program in case anybody is interested. I enjoyed the recipes very much and lost 22 pounds quite painlessly. I’m now trying hard to maintain my current weight through the Christmas holiday and then I will move on to the 5/2 plan in the new year as I still have some weight to lose.

The only downside I have found to this way of eating so far is that I have developed a fair amount of new wrinkly skin (I’m 64) and should have tried much harder to DRINK THE WATER as I think it might have helped.

Happy Christmas everybody and please DRINK THE WATER

Please log in or register to post a reply.