Trying to make this work

We have not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you are have any health related symptoms or concerns, you should contact your doctor who will be able to give you advice specific to your situation.

• posted by JK1993
    on

Hello all,

Looking for some advice and I guess some re-assurance that I can have success doing this..

I am a 25 year old male who’s currently around 14st and would like to shift 2st.

My biggest struggle is that after reading the book and recipe book, I am concerned as I am quite a fussy eater and don’t enjoy things such as tomatoes, peppers, peas, avocado just to name a few popular food suggestions in the recipe book…

I have tried to put together my own Mon-Sunday food plan so would like either some tips or re-assurance whether it will be suitable or anything I should tweak. I will weigh out the portions to ensure I am close to 800kcal per day.

Monday –
    Breakfast – Greek Yoghurt with nuts and blueberries
    Lunch – Seasoned chicken breast with broccoli cooked with olive oil
    Dinner – Salmon with broccoli

Tuesday –
    Breakfast – Porridge oats, skimmed milk, apple and ground cinnamon
    Lunch – Ham and Tuna salad
    Dinner – Piri Piri chicken breast with brown rice

Wednesday –
    Lunch – Piri Piri chicken with couscous
    Dinner – Cauliflower cheese

Thursday –
    Breakfast – Porridge oats, skimmed milk, apple and ground cinnamon
    Lunch – Cauliflower cheese
    Dinner – Pork steak in mustard sauce with broccoli

Friday –
    Lunch – Seasoned chicken breast with broccoli cooked with olive oil
    Dinner – Pork steak in mustard sauce with cauliflower

Saturday –
    Brunch – Ham and cheese omelette
    Dinner – Peppercorn sirloin steak with broccoli

Sunday –
    Brunch – Scrambled egg
    Dinner – Chicken and chorizo with brown rice

• posted by alliecat
    on

WELCOME to the forums JK! I have 9ood news for you 🙂 Some of us have never used the recipe books at
    all, just adapted our own recipes, eliminatin9 the carbs of course, and have been wildly successful at losin9
    wei9ht, and more importantly, keepin9 it off. If you discover that you are insulin resistant, you will need to
    be careful about all the carbs in your menu plan. Countin9 them is even more important than the calories.
    As we like to say here, all calories are not created equal, so thin9s like brown rice and couscous will
    probably have to 9o to achieve maximum results. Most start at around 50 carbs, and we adjust downward if
    necessary. Be careful about fruit too, an apple can have as many as 20 carbs! The apps are really useful
    for trackin9 both calories and carbs. Ve9etables that 9row beneath 9round are hi9h in carbs, and are best
    avoided. The BSD is very for9ivin9, even for a fussy eater. Best wishes for your success with this lifestyle.
    There are a lot of us experienced old timers around, so post any questions or concerns, and one of us
    will be alon9 to help!

Allie

• posted by JK1993
    on

Thanks for your reply!

If I replaced the couscous and brown rice for cauliflower rice, would that be a good change?

Isn’t Broccoli and Cauliflower low in carbs?

Apart from that, does it seem like I would get results with that food plan?

Thanks

• posted by caronl
    on

Hi JK1993. Your menus look very tasty. Cauliflower rice would definitely be a better option. The week also looks oats-heavy and thus quite high on carbs. Maybe you could have eggs a couple of times during the week rather than the porridge? Also semi-skimmed or full milk would work better with this diet. http://www.dietdoctor.com is also a really good resource for ideas and recipes. Good luck on your journey!

• posted by alliecat
    on

I completely a9ree with Caron, JK. Your menu looks wonderful, and very well thou9ht out! Let us know how
    you prosper with this lifestyle 🙂 We all use cauli rice around here..

• posted by sunshine-girl
    on

just to translate for allie, all her gggggg’s are reading as 999999’s. Yes your menu looks good for a starting point except as people have mentioned. If you are wondering why we say full fat milk (or semi) rather than skimmed is because the increased good fats in milk will fill you up better.

• posted by alliecat
    on

Thank you, sunshine 🙂 I’ve melted the letter between “f” and “h” on my laptop, so the numeral “9” is my
    work around! I’m a dunce, I know…Technolo9y and I don’t have an easy relationship..Happy that you fi9ured it
    out so quickly!

• posted by JK1993
    on

I completely see your point, I will find a replacement for the porridge and the milk is semi-skimmed, that was my error.

Are the blueberries too high in carbs and would you avoid eating an apple due to carbs?

Thanks

• posted by Jennie10
    on

Hi JK1993
    I think it depends on how many carbs a day you want to start with. Blueberries have twice the number of carbs as raspberries, for example, but they are both great fruits to have. As Allie says people will aim for 50g carbs a day and will lose weight well on that level.
    I have type II diabetes so I need to go very low carb (20g) to manage my blood sugar levels, so I mostly go for the raspberries but every now and again (tomorrow, in fact) I have the green tea and blueberry milkshake out of the BSD book to make sure I’m getting a range of nutrients.
    Caron mentioned the dietdoctor site – it’s got some really good visuals of carbs in fruits and veg etc. Here’s the link to the fruits page https://www.dietdoctor.com/low-carb/keto/fruits
    If you scroll right down you’ll see visual guides for other food stuffs which might be helpful.
    Your meal plan, along with everyone’s suggestions, looks great.

Jennie
    Edited: This is a better page https://www.dietdoctor.com/low-carb/visual-guides

• posted by JK1993
    on

Thanks for the response, I do have raspberries so I can use these instead.

What sort of carb intake is recommended for this? 20-30g per day? It’s good to know the rest of my plan has peoples approval

Thank you

• posted by Jennie10
    on

Hi JK1993
    Michael Mosley doesn’t give a target for how many carbs to have per day in the BSD book.
    But from experience on here (and elsewhere) people have found it more effective if you watch your carb intake as well as your calories.
    You could start with your food plan and see how you go, use one of the free food tracking apps such as fatsecret.co.uk or MyFitnessPal.com to track how many carbs you are having as well as the cals, and then if you need to at some point you can drop your carbs a bit more.

But right now your food plan looks great so you’re good to go!
    Jennie
    Edited: Forgot to mention to keep drinking the water as mentioned in the book – it really does help

Please log in or register to post a reply.