Three Months In – Now In the Pre-Diabetic HBA1c Range

We have not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you are have any health related symptoms or concerns, you should contact your doctor who will be able to give you advice specific to your situation.

• posted by SMcG71
    on

Just thought I’d post an update to the forum on my progress.

I started out on the BSD in August 2016, and I stuck with it a few weeks before adopting a slightly less austere version, basically low-carbing and Med-style diet, not quite 800 cals a day – maybe in the region of 800 to 1,500 depending on how I was feeling.

I had my HBa1c results today; down from 55 to 42 (just above normal; technically in the pre-diabetic range).
    Weight loss – 12 pounds (from 199 to 187).
    Cholesterol has in fact gone up slightly, but I probably need to exercise more – I have not exercised much on the diet, which is perhaps why.

Feeling a whole lot better since reading the book and taking on the advice – once you get over the first week or two, it is worth keeping going – for myself I wasn’t quite as stringent as 800 calories a day, but things are now going in the right direction for me – the book provided the right advice at the right time for me. Hopefully it won’t be long before people get this information when they are diagnosed – I’ve found that my Doctor and Diabetes clinic nurse don’t talk about BSD or low-carb until you raise it with them. Then they said ‘yeah, go for it’ – hopefully it will become something they recommend from the outset of diagnosis.

• posted by JulesMaigret
    on

Great result. Congratulations

I am 14 weeks in and have lost 57 lbs (from 329 to 272). I had a cholesterol test and mine had stayed the same – I was relieved, given the amount of full fat I’ve been getting through. Like you I haven’t been overly stringent on 800 calories, my trusty spreadsheet tells me the average (removing a couple of blowout days!) is 923 calories. I have a HBA1C test next month so I’m hoping it will show progress. Blood pressure is now well into the “normal” range.

My diabetic nurse knows about BSD but I am her first patient who is trying it so she sees me as a bit of a guinea pig. Her attitude is, at the very least I’m losing weight so it’s got to be a good thing.

Please log in or register to post a reply.