Thought apples were ok in Fast 800

We have not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you are have any health related symptoms or concerns, you should contact your doctor who will be able to give you advice specific to your situation.

• posted by psycholady666
    on

Thought apples were OK – but had one apple and my blood sugar was 9.0 2 hours later , 6 weeks into Fast 800. This is a shame as I have a great apple tree producing right now !

• posted by Yowzer49
    on

Oh i know PSYCHO ..apples and narnas are terribly carby..one small apple a week is my big treat now and a banana every blue moon…
    Onions are bad too carbwise! Spring onions are better
    I am mainly having berries but even then very limited coz theyre carby too grrrrr..specially strawbs!
    We live and learn,psycho..we live and learn..xx
    That is such a shame about yr apple tree tho ๐Ÿ™ X

• posted by Igorasusual
    on

The thing is, pre BSD, I thought apples were somehow negligible and didn’t count. At the end of our family walking holiday I “ate up” some remaining apples and clementines we’d had for lunches.

When I entered them on MyFitnessPal, the calories!!! The carbs!!!! The sugar!!!

You CAN have apples on the BSD but only a little – MM says an accompaniment, by which he means a slice or two in a salad. Or you can have a whole one but when you look at how many cals/carbs it is, you may prefer something else.

This is why weighing and planning is such a good education and discipline.

Instead of an apple you will find an alternative cal/carb friendly alternative I’m sure ๐Ÿ™‚

• posted by Igorasusual
    on

Meant to say, stew your apples from the tree and freeze small weighed portions to have with yoghurt etc?

• posted by Yowzer49
    on

Good idea IGOR re a little stewed apple with yoggy..i miss apples so that could be a do able solution for me too.
    I know what you mean, i used to mindlessly chomp apples,clems,tangies etc etc without a second thought..just assuming that they were ” good” for me and excellent for losing weight!
    And thanks for the spring onion tip..think i got it from you X

• posted by psycholady666
    on

thanks ; I was sure the book said apples and berries were OK in mod.. But there we go

• posted by Yowzer49
    on

PSYCHO,Ive got a feeling it does say apples and berries ok in mod in the book, and i guess they are in the long run.. but for now,while i’ m trying to shed a shedload of weight, i bear this in mind every day..

A small apple is 55 cals and a whopping 15 g carb! Which is a big chunk out of maybe 50 g carb or less per day
    Blueberries arent bad,4 g carb in 25 g but thats a very small portion!
    Raspberries are 3 g carb for every 25 grams ( about six or seven raspberries)
    Five medium strawberries have 5 g carb
    Cherries are 4 g carb per 25 grams
    I tend to just have one 25 g berries per day and focus more on green veg ..an apple is a big treat these days! But when i get to maintenance i will enjoy more fruit coz after all,fruit is full of vits and mins we need x
    Ps those figures are from mynetdiary x

• posted by Igorasusual
    on

Hi all

Apples ARE ok on the BSD. They are not a refined carb.

MM says in moderation, and the reason he says so is that they are – as reported – quite calorific and high in carbs, surprisingly. Because of the fructose in them.

So if you’re trying to stick to the 800 calories, and keep the carbs low, then moderation is your watchword not only in fruit but in everything! ๐Ÿ˜‰

Hope all going well psycholady – did you try measuring to see if your visceral fat was reducing?

Please log in or register to post a reply.