Things I've learned on the BSD – Part 2 [Day 14 yesterday]

We have not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you are have any health related symptoms or concerns, you should contact your doctor who will be able to give you advice specific to your situation.

• posted by Jackie WilsonSaid
    on

1. It is possible to lose weight relatively painlessly [ok, I’ll say, -9lbs].
    2. A Tanita bodyfat/weighing machine is a thing of beauty, and encourages resolve.
    3. Less is more: cooking tasty stuff and eating normal portions of high quality meals is fun.
    4. Once you open your eyes, the variety and quality of food on offer is remarkable. E.g., a local farm type shop sells 2kg containers of proper, high protein, Greek yogurt for £2.99. Previously I’d have walked right past and gone to Tesco’s as it’s ‘easier’. Most of the produce they sell is locally sourced and has been a revelation.
    5. Selecting a joint of meat should be done with a new attitude: asking for what you want not just taking what displayed.
    Buying too much encourages you to eat beyond the 800 and roast pork is not as exciting after meal #3 if you try not to eat it all at once!
    6. Clearheadedness is a great side effect of the BSD.

7. Obligatory Mindfulness plug: it is very complimentary habit, like exercise, to the BSD.
    I thought I was being mindful if alone by sitting at the table and mindfully eating BSD healthy meals, whilst reading a book on the iPad. Mindful eating is in fact that strange thing of Just Eating.
    Other mindful activities available include Just Walking, Just Meditating and Just Showering.
    I had a bad case in a pre-BSD life of wondering, often out loud, what my next meal was, whilst consuming my current one.
    Prof Mark Williams of Oxford tells a story of travelling to the West End to see a play and catching himself watching but not watching. He missed much since he was busy planning the trip home in his head.

• posted by jane c
    on

Hi,
    we started on the same day. Glad to hear you’re doing well 🙂
    My first week was amazing (lost 4 kilos) but since then lost 1 more, then put 2 back on. Am trying to only look once a week now.
    Is listening to the radio whilst eating allowed? I find it really hard to do absolutely nothing else.

• posted by Jackie WilsonSaid
    on

Jane – congrats to you.
    The best advice I received on here is to drink lots of water, eat enough fats to help you think you are full [e.g. Greek yog – that would be £2.99 for 1 kg not 2kg above!] and from me – it’s easy to use the recipes in the book to keep on track. We’ll see – relatively early days for us both.

I admit I listen to music, but avoid tv now when eating. Interestingly people say that ‘hard to do absolutely nothing’ thing about meditation – the stillness is scary perhaps?
    As Pascal said:
    “All of humanity’s problems stem from man’s inability to sit quietly in a room alone.”

• posted by jane c
    on

I’ve never noticed before that I like to be a bit distracted when I eat. I can happily sit and do nothing when I’m not eating. I’ll have to think about that.

• posted by Beverley
    on

Love this thread!

Please log in or register to post a reply.