The results are in – 8 weeks done!!

We have not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you are have any health related symptoms or concerns, you should contact your doctor who will be able to give you advice specific to your situation.

• posted by RedRooster
    on

Hi All,

I have just finished the 8 weeks of 800 cals. All recorded through my fitness pal. And think I captured about everything, I strayed a couple of times to about 1k cals but was pretty good most of the time. Started at 17 stone 11, finished 14 stone 12.5. So a loss of 40.5lbs

Most importantly blood sugars have improved, they were out of control and was told I’d be on insulin without any improvement, I have pretty much been metphormin free for the last few weeks with bloods in normal range. I have been T2D for over 5 years, I’m 37 & 6ft 2 just to give you a idea of my build.

I train a lot and have continued lifting weights during the diet but have restricted cardio as I didn’t really have the energy for a run, I also play golf which is 4 hours of walking carrying my clubs – which has been good for losses. I see a lot of people starting the diet asking how the weight comes off (after the first week), here are my results by week:-

Wk 1 – 7 lb loss
    Wk 2 – 7lb loss
    Wk 3 – 4lb loss
    Wk4 – 4lb loss
    Wk5 – 5lb loss
    Wk6 – 3lb loss
    Wk7 – 6lb loss
    Wk8 – 4.5lb loss

So yes my biggest loss was in first couple of weeks but good losses can be maintained if your active and stay true to the diet. I feel great and am now working out how to live on the med plan diet, still counting cals but tracking to ensure I don’t go back to old habits. I have a stone left to target, fingers crossed will lose this over the next few months.

Sorry for the essay, just wanted to share

Happy to swap recipe tips etc for those that have advice for me or need some. My top top would be Zero Noodles, no carbs, hardly any calories and filling – I bit dear though. My other tip would be Venison, burgers and meatballs good protein filling and lowish in cals

Thanks
    R

• posted by Mixnmatch
    on

Congratulations on your fantastic weight loss, ๐Ÿ˜€๐Ÿ˜€๐Ÿ˜€๐Ÿ˜€ Please do stick around and join other threads if you like as you continue your journey, if there is anything you are not sure about, someone probably has an answer.

• posted by RedRooster
    on

Thanks, I plan to stick around, although typically more of a reader than a poster. I have been a bit anxious about coming off the diet, but just trying to stick to the principles I’ve picked up. I read the forum everyday to pick up tips and motivation, there are some real inspirational folk on here

• posted by Jande9
    on

Hi Red,

70, 6’0″, went from 196 to 162 pounds in 4 months on the 800 and blood sugar went down to normal.

I am also trying to move off the 800 on to a new permanent eating plan. Unfortunately I went on a big holiday right after I got to my target so eating right became tricky, and I put on about 8 pounds but 2 weeks of 800 fixed that.

I think that it is normal to put back on the water weight you lose in week 1 as you renew your glycogen levels, so a 6-7 pound rebound should be expected. You just don’t want to start putting fat back on. I have been measuring my gut regularly and that had gone up a bit as I did gain about 4 fat pounds.

So far I am finding the Med eating guidelines work, but I seem to keep slipping into 1 day fasts every few days to compensate for a weekend of hot cross buns and beer. Not exactly on the plan so I am trying to settle into something more sustainable.

Jan

• posted by Pendiente
    on

Wow Redrooster –

That’s fantastic loss! It’s also exactly the sort of post I was hoping to read as I’m on day 9 and have been losing 1lb a day so far but know this has to slow down. I am Quite active and do a lot of walking (occasional gym sessions but they’re sporadic).

I’ll be really interested in how you get on after coming off 800 and start med style – how you change your diet etc and what losses/gains you make.

Jan – I have to admit my eventual aim after 800 had kind of been to do what you are doing – generally doing med way of eating with occasional splurges – as I do like a drink and a good time sometimes! Do you not think your weight loss sustainable like this or do you just feel unhealthy?

Thanks x

• posted by ddraig_goch
    on

Hi Redrooster, congratulations on your weight loss. I was interested to read that you train a lot. Having lost a stone in my first 3 weeks my flabby bits are getting flabbier. I have got the cardio sorted but would be interested if you can suggest a full body weights workout I could with dumbbells and/or a bar. Have also got a weight bench and kettle bells. As well as flabbiness I am also just starting a cycle training plan which says one of the sessions should be a ‘total body workout’. All very good but not much help if they don’t give you an actual workout. So any help or pointing in the right direction would be extremely welcome. Thanks.

• posted by RedRooster
    on

Hi Jande9,

Well done on your weight loss too. Thanks for the advice – I am sticking to low carb but do expect some water weight back on – so have promised myself not to get too annoyed when it happens. Holidays can be interesting but what you did is how I will try to approach it – There will always be holidays / Birthdays etc etc – I plan to just go back to 800 cals after any of these events and get rid asap. I might even do more 5:2 that may allow me a few more cals for meals out etc – But will see how it goes.

Sustainability is key and I think different things work for different people so it can take a bit of time to figure out what works for you – Hopefully i’ll fall into a routine that does the trick – Still a stone to go after all

• posted by RedRooster
    on

Hi Pendiente,

Sounds like you’ve made a great start – Keep going you’ll get amazing results. I’ll keep posting on how the med plan is going but if you read the book even Dr Mosely has the occasional treat but limits it to once a week.

When it comes to treats and feeling bad the two things I am going to try and focus on are:-

1 – Some treats are worse than others – There is a big difference between a slice of break and a sticky toffee pudding – So even when treating be it at home or in a restaurant try and make a better decision

2 – If I something like drink a bit too much or eat something you shouldn’t – I am going to try my best not to mentally give up – I haven’t blown my whole diet if I eat a bit of chocolate so no need to go on a binge in a ‘Ive blown it I might as well eat what I want’ something Ive done in the past and from talking to others something that’s common

R

• posted by RedRooster
    on

Hi ddraig_goch,

Well done so far – I myself am a bit looser around the stomach than I’d like – but hopefully everything catches up. Interestingly I think the rest of me has held up fairly well.

With regards to exercises I’m no expert and there are much better sources of info on here but I’ll share my learnings and opinions

I train three times a week, and try to cover every major body part once per week. On 800 cals I am not sure I could train all of them effectively – I have been getting tired enough just training a couple of body parts. I also think it’s key to be realistic – I wasn’t expecting to build any real muscle whilst on the diet – My goal was to not lose any. I focus on compound moves – and do one of these every session – Deadlift, Squat and Bench – All of which you can do with a bar and some weights at home. Due to the low calories I reduced my sets from 4 to 3 and reps from 12 to 8. Just because I was running out of energy quickly

I tries to focus on form rather than lots of reps and really heavy weights, again not sure what I did was right for everyone but I was happy enough with it

Good luck on your journey

• posted by ddraig_goch
    on

Thanks for the info RedRooster. I have now formulated a plan and shall exercise (excluding TM walking) with a rest day every 3 days to start with. Plan is to do toning arm/knee strengthening exercises daily and bike every other day, with your suggested compound exercises on the middle day. Like you I’m not really interested in building muscle just maintaining and toning what little I’ve got. Would love to get rid of the bingo wings.

• posted by Jande9
    on

Hi Pendiente,

“Jan โ€“ I have to admit my eventual aim after 800 had kind of been to do what you are doing โ€“ generally doing med way of eating with occasional splurges โ€“ as I do like a drink and a good time sometimes! Do you not think your weight loss sustainable like this or do you just feel unhealthy?”

I feel fine and I don’t have a problem with splurge/800 cycles, but I would really like to stop thinking about eating and diets and just settle into a comfortable routine. Perhaps that is not possible and I will always be actively managing what is on my plate but I’m getting tired of it. I like moderate exercise so I am hoping that that, plus snack control and watching my carbs will do the trick.

Jan

Please log in or register to post a reply.