The affect of cooking on calories

We have not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you are have any health related symptoms or concerns, you should contact your doctor who will be able to give you advice specific to your situation.

• posted by MOJOJOJOBEANS
    on

Hello!

So I am a week and 2 days into my FAST 800 and I am loving it.

I don’t really feel hungry and I have loads of energy and am sleeping better.

I’ve lost 6 lbs (which I know is mostly water weight but still. lol)

Anyway, I am concerned that meals I cook at home aren’t accurately counted my the myfitnesspal app and so I worry I am actually eating too much. If I make something from scratch I create a recipe in the app and enter all the raw ingredients and then the calories are calculated. However, doesn’t how you cook something affect it’s calorie load? For example, if I grill my chicken isn’t it leaner than roasting it? Or have I made that up?

Does anyone have a better way/app/advise on how to accurately count calories?

Jo

• posted by Igorasusual
    on

Hi Jo

When I cook meals from scratch I also enter quantities into MFP.

I also try and add in the fat/oil I cook it in, and trust that this will help the difference between fried and grilled, for example. Sometimes there is a ready-made similar meal on MFP which I can check against

But so long as I’m adding in the oil etc., I don’t panic too much – after all, I’m weighing it all up already and worrying about anything more can be counter productive.

Just add in the fat, that’s the critical thing.

Hope that helps 🙂

• posted by Avila
    on

I wouldn’t worry about too much precision, even the exact sounding figures on apps have a margin of error. Yes different cooking ways may affect calories – but we know if adding oils etc – I don’t think roasting vs grilling is much different.

If one day is 750 and another 850 no worries – we know we are restricting our calories from what they were before and that will have its effect. I am not weighing but guarding portion size and using low cal low carb meal plans.

well done on week one and a bit!

• posted by MOJOJOJOBEANS
    on

Aww thank you to you both. It has made me feel better. I guess I just really worry that I wont lose my belly. I am like a telly tubby, all my weight is carried around my middle and it’s so unhealthy and awful and so just needs gone! So I just wanted to make sure I am doing all that I can.

Have a lovely day and thanks again!

• posted by Yowzer49
    on

MOJOJOJOBEANS I love your name! And glad you asked that question,it was floating round the back of my mind too. But I ‘ m losing and so are you,so we must be doing something right! I think you’ll find yr tum will disappear..i found this on 5:2 and seems to be the case on BSD also! X

• posted by Avila
    on

you are making a difference – that is the important bit

Please log in or register to post a reply.