The 8 week diet when taking thyroxine

We have not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you are have any health related symptoms or concerns, you should contact your doctor who will be able to give you advice specific to your situation.

• posted by Katerino
    on

Hi, this is my second time doing this diet. I am on 125microgram thyroxine a day.
    I just thought I would share my experiences as it’s so easy to give up!
    I am 3 weeks into doing this for the second time and have had exactly the same results, I would be interested to hear if others are the same?
    Both times I loose about 1 kg in the first week, and then slowly put about 70% of the weight back on over the next 10 days, despite sticking to the diet rigidly and swimming 1km twice a week.
    Just as I wondering what is happening the weight loss starts – between 200 and 300g per day and as long as my resolve is strong it should continue if it’s the same as last time!
    This is the first diet that I have ever found workable. It is a pain mainly cooking one meal for the family and one for myself each night but I have found that my children and husband love some of the recipes so I cook the basic version and add carbs etc for them.

• posted by sunshine-girl
    on

Hi Katerino, glad you have come back to this knowing it works. You might not lose as fast as others as I am assuming you have hypothyroidism, even with meds it can still slow you down. Remember, as you do the plan and lose weight you might want to get your meds checked as I know changes to you life style can affect how your meds are working. I’m sure I didn’t even need to tell you that. My daughter has the same and on the same meds and always struggles with her weight. However, she bought me the Fast800 book for my birthday in Feb even though I have been on the BSD for nearly 3 years but she started looking through it and bought a copy for herself. She is on week three and has gone from 76kg to 73kg. So, not a massive loss but steady and, for once, she has found a diet that works for her.

Your method of feeding you and the family the same with minor adjustments is just perfect. Keep it up and join in other threads. A good one is our weekly challenge as it has a good mix of newbies, oldies, people with medical problems, some with loads to lose and some with just smallish amounts. We are a good mix and very friendly.

• posted by pollywotsit
    on

Hi Katerino, Im also hypothyroid. I take 200mcg levo a day and really struggle with my weight. I’ve been doing the 800 for over a week now and have lost a measly 1.6kg. Its so frustrating and disheartening but I refuse to give up. Now that I have a better idea of what i can eat, Im going to cut carbs even further and try to keep them below 30g. Im cycling miles too and in Lancaster that means HILLS! Im determined to get to the point where I can confidently wear cycle shorts.
    I also discovered that my scales are totally unreliable and give a different result depending on where i put them, so they are now in the bin. So Im dieting blind until i can afford a decent set.

• posted by Squidge
    on

I’m on 150mcg a day. I reached a healthy weight after about three months – my weight loss was slower than many report on here, but that’s because my portion sizes were more generous, not due to the medication. I still get to my target and have been maintaining for over a year now.

As long as you are on the correct dose then having hypothyroidism shouldn’t make any difference at all to the effectiveness of this diet. If you suspect that you’re struggling due to it, talk to your doctor and ask if the dosage needs to be adjusted. (Btw, my doctor did put me on a higher dose for a while (before I tried the BSD) I did lose some weight, but didn’t feel well, had trouble sleeping, was irritable and anxious. It wasn’t worth all that just to make weight loss a bit easier, so do watch for side effects if the dose is increased and again talk to your doctor if you have any concerns.)

• posted by pollywotsit
    on

Sadly I dont respond brilliantly to Levo so I still get very tired and have problems with weight. Im one of the people who would do better on a combined T4/T3 medication but the NHS wont prescribe it because its too expensive.

• posted by Squidge
    on

That must be really frustrating for you. I don’t know why, but I thought the combination was available if Levo alone didn’t solve the problem.

• posted by Patricia1066
    on

Pollywotsit, the situation is just as you described; I googled and found a policy document laying out the de-prescribing of liothyronine , due to the high cost in UK, when it could be obtained from EU for a more reasonable amount.
    Have you seen this?
    Improving T3 Prescription in the UK -Thyroid UK

• posted by Squidge
    on

Last night (I think it was) they had a piece on the news about hospital security staff going on strike. Until then I didn’t know hospitals had security staff. What a shame they’re needed, for lots of reasons, including the fact that the money they cost the NHS means there’s less available for treating patients.

• posted by pollywotsit
    on

My eldest is a paramedic and the abuse they have to deal with is shocking. It does worry me sometimes because she works in Leeds and is quite a small person but I know she can take care of herself. She told me they have security in most city hospitals now. So sad that our health care staff need protecting like that.

• posted by Patricia1066
    on

I agree pollywotsit, abuse of NHS staff is appalling. The night bus drivers get abuse too, probably from same types as alcohol and other drugs make people lash out.

Please log in or register to post a reply.