Testing

We have not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you are have any health related symptoms or concerns, you should contact your doctor who will be able to give you advice specific to your situation.

• posted by Essexalan
    on

I plan to start the 8week diet later this month. In preparation I have consulted my doctor, she has agreed I should stop metaformin during the diet. I plan to test my fasting blood sugar levels prior to stop medication and the continue to test during the diet.
    Can anyone offer advice on this in particular the frequency or testing during the diet.

• posted by sunshine-girl
    on

Hi there Essexalan, under normal circumstances I test twice a day, fasting in the morning then again at 7pm or just before I have dinner. But I also test if I am going to do a lot of exercise of have done a lot, I would also test if I felt the symptoms of a hypo coming on, like blurred vision, tingling in lips, shaking etc. What I have done is make sure I exercise not too long after a meal so I don’t have to eat just to do the exercise. If I do have a low I now just eat some prunes and a couple of spoons of Greek full fat yoghurt which brings me back up.

Good luck.

• posted by captainlynne
    on

Hi Essexalan

I wasn’t on medication, but it was being threatened before I started the BSD.

I used to test first thing in the morning, then at bedtime.

When Imstarted the BSD I continued with those tests, but also tested before, then 2 hours after, eating to see the effect of the meal. I kept (and still,keep) my carbs very low.

As my daily blood sugars dropped, I reduced testing until I was back to morning and night. Then as both HbA1c and daily tests were consistently normal I reduced testing further. Now I do random tests.

Hope this helps.

Please log in or register to post a reply.