Target Weight

We have not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you are have any health related symptoms or concerns, you should contact your doctor who will be able to give you advice specific to your situation.

• posted by DavidA
    on

This is probably a stupid question but how do you work out your Target Weight?

On p23 of the Recipe book it states ‘once you have reached your target weight……..’ but I’ve obviously missed the section saying how to calculate it

I’ve looked in the Contents & Index but “I Still Haven’t Found What I’m Looking For”

David

• posted by JulesMaigret
    on

Not at all stupid and one I spent a lot of time considering. My initial thought was to use BMI, but then saw that normal for me was around 13 and a half stone, which isn’t realistic. As I am diabetic, my overall plan is to use this until it works, but for a more practical approach (and to give my diabetic nurse and me some targets to talk about, I decided initially to go for seven stone off as that would take me to 16.5 stone. Then very unscientifically, I reduced the target weight by two pounds so the overall loss would be 100lb.

I know I will aim to get under this level to give me some wriggle room, but I will also be looking at the effect on BS and BP and if I have to carry on, then so be it.

Sorry not much help, but I’m not sure there is a aone-size fits all way of calculating the target.

• posted by donnyman
    on

I haven’t worked that out either. I’m short with broad chest and hips and having played prop forward and lifted heavy weights have huge thighs. I was thinking of going for a particular body fat % perhaps 15 ish using the US navy method.

• posted by JulesMaigret
    on

Hi Donnyman

Fellow former prop here, although 6ft3 (I played a lot of league as well as union) and have a big frame (9″ wrist) – I hadn’t thought of the body fat percentage but I think I like the idea. How do you measure it? I read somewhere on here that the standard scales that claim to measure aren’t very accurate – any thoughts?

I’m also still carrying a lot of muscle and likely to gain as I train for a SuperVets game later this year.

• posted by donnyman
    on

There are formulas available via googling US Navy body fat % . All you need is a dress maker’s tape measure. After large amounts of weight loss it’s more accurate than calipers and it’s free.

• posted by JulesMaigret
    on

Will do,

Thanks

• posted by JulesMaigret
    on

Just done it and it comes out at 21.66% – much better than I thought so 15% sounds like a sensible target

Thanks again

• posted by donnyman
    on

I wish I was starting from there!

• posted by Mixnmatch
    on

I am using the current body fat estimate from a Boditrax scan at this weight of 22% (Which may not be ultimately accurate, but has to be better than my Salter scales that still insist I am over 34% fat). I am using this to make the judgement that I need to be fairly cautious about losing more as I don’t want to go below about 18%. I think i have worked out why the Salter overreads so much, I am what is known as a ‘pear’ body type, so bigger legs and bum, and the Salter electrical measurement only goes from one foot to the other the shortest way, so my fattest bit. The boditrax used hand electrodes as well so includes Arm and Trunk measurements. Of course it is still only an estimate, but seems to match what I actually feel better than the 34% estimate. I gave up on BMI when I was obviously slimmer than I had ever been, even in my 20’s and still being told I was technically overweight. I also look at a measure called Smart BMI which has a different scale and alters with age.

• posted by donnyman
    on

18% in a female would be very athletic

• posted by JulesMaigret
    on

Hi Donnyman

So do I – I’ve lost 73lb on BSD. When I put my starting numbers in it comes back with a less impressive 32%

• posted by Mixnmatch
    on

My trunk fat measurement is already almost at athletic levels, at 17%, arms were about 25% and legs about 28% according to the scan. I am currently upping my calories to suit this new information, as 800 is clearly not suitable at this body fat level if I don’t want to lose too much muscle. I think losing some is inevitable, essentially I have been training using weights for the last nearly two years, and now most of that resistance has gone.

• posted by DavidA
    on

Firstly, a big Thank You to JulesMaigret, donnyman & Mixnmatch; I’ve learnt a lot from you

I was expecting to be told that a Target Weight calculation could be found on page xx but now realise that it’s not that simple – have to say I’m a little surprised (disappointed?) that the doctors involved use terms like target weight, underweight &, yet, fail to clarify what they mean (perhaps that’s why my friends say I’m ‘picky’)

I guess if JulesM, arguably France’s premier detective, doesn’t know the answer then us mere mortals have no chance!

I’m going to follow-up some of the things mentioned: US Navy body fat %, Boditrax, Smart BMI – all of which are new to me

Another thing that really puzzles me – are all forum members ex prop forwards? Am I the only well-past-my-sell-date cricketer on here?

I guess not only is Target Weight/Diabetes/etc stranger than we imagine, it is stranger than we can imagine….

A very puzzled David

• posted by DavidA
    on

Hi Mixnmatch

am intrigued by your mention of a Boditrax scan. If it’s OK to ask, how, where can you get 1 of these? @ a gym? my gym doesn’t do such things & have tried a search in my local area but nothing found

would appreciate any help on this

best wishes
    David

• posted by Bissell
    on

Hi DavidA
    Just to reassure you, I am not now, nor ever have been, a prop forward.
    But next year, maybe? 😀

• posted by Mixnmatch
    on

Hi DavidA, our local gym has just got the scanner, and was doing a promotion where the first scan was free. Subsequent ones cost £5 I think. I don’t know of any others, and had never heard of it before that so I can’t help much I am afraid. I plan to track what I am doing every few months, as it has totally put me off relying either on BMI or my old Salter scales 😊 also just to reassure you some more I am not a prop forward either, just a keen social badminton player.

• posted by DavidA
    on

Even tho’ JulesMaigret is a member of the forum I am going to adopt Holmes’ advice of eliminating the impossible, & whatever remains, however improbable, must be the truth?

Since my earlier post I have found-out that the David Lloyd chain are rolling-out Boditrax scanners in their gyms. As DL has always been strong on racket sports, I have deduced you are a member of your local……..! Elementary, my dear Mixnmatch

Meanwhile, 1 of my mates wants to have a game of badminton; he hasn’t played in almost 20 years, I haven’t played in much longer. Like your games(??) it will be played in a friendly & social manner & the loser will be never hear the end of it!

David

• posted by JulesMaigret
    on

Dash it – I’d assumed that she’d played in the backs!

Please log in or register to post a reply.