TAKE A LOOK AT THIS ……

We have not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you are have any health related symptoms or concerns, you should contact your doctor who will be able to give you advice specific to your situation.

• posted by KazzUK
    on

Hi Cathy. Thanks so much for your quick mug recipe. Perfect for me at the weekend. I’ll defo add that to my stash of recipes!
    I had two toasted slices with two rashers of grilled bacon, mushrooms and poached egg for brunch today and it really hit the spot! I’ve just made a larger loaf as practising for when my girlfriends come next weekend. There’ll be 5 of us and thankfully all happy to embrace this WOE. What’s not to like?! I’m also making a batch of seed crackers right now also for next weekend. Making a veg chilli in a bit for next Friday night as everyone will be arriving at different times.
    Enjoy the rest of your weekend!
    Kazzeexx

• posted by wendleg
    on

Hi everyone
    I have just spent the afternoon in the garden catching up on this Take a Look at This thread .

I am amazed by the research and insight shown by so many on the thread. It’s so informative and enlightening. So grateful.
    I have lots of videos, articles and books to check out now !
    I am still slightly concerned about my week day OMAD (One Meal A Day) strategy. It works for me and the weight is coming off ( 5 kilos at the end of Week 3) but I don’t want to mess up my metabolism.
    I do add a light lunch at the weekend but I like having my calories in my evening meal which is very satisfying. I also love my Greek yoghurt and chia berry jam.

I understand from mixandmatch that this is the way to go to keep my body guessing ?? Mix up the fasting times and eating pattern ?

I wonder if anyone does OMAD like me and what their experience is ..certainly after the 8 Weeks are over. ? I will be along way from my target weight then.

Thanks again for the incredible posts on this thread and to anyone who takes the time to respond to my concerns
    xx

• posted by JGwen
    on

Hi wendleg,
    I can understand your concern about messing up your metabolism. – I have been reading a lot of the research over months. – I would suggest watching the link I posted a few months ago on this forum to a podcast by Dr Bikman, and then watch some of Dr Fungs podcasts which there are also links to on this thread.
    My understand is if you keep insulin levels low your body can access your body fat, so you will not have an impact on your metabolic rate. That is why so many of us focus on counting carbs although the BSD book doesn’t suggest carb levels.

• posted by Californiagirl
    on

Hi Wendleg, you are not going to mess up your metabolism with one meal per day — in fact you won’t mess it up ever if you keep your carbohydrate intake low (20-40 grams per day) because that is exactly how your body was designed to work — and changing it up is good but you don’t have to do it everyday
    It sounds like your body is responding well to one meal per day, and you like it, so stay with it. Every physical body is different and you are best sticking with what works for you.
    There is no one perfect plan. We are all unique!

• posted by wendleg
    on

Thanks for that JGwen and Californiagirl

You are always reassuring and talk good sense. It’s helpful hearing others’ expériences and I know you have both done very well on the program.

I will check out the podcasts.I have loads to catch up on.

Had a lovely mooch around our local market this morning and picked up lots of greens. My weekend soups are a mish mash of broccoli stalks, celery leaves and a few stalks, courgette , carrot, parsley which when wizzed up in my magic Vitamix go lovely and creamy. Hubby wasn’t too keen so added parmesan. I sprinkle a bit of nutritional yeast if I need something cheesy on soup.
    Have a great day everyone x

• posted by Sabz
    on

Hi Wendleg , Im interested in doing the OMAD as it ties in with what I do during Ramadan. Could you give me some tips and how to start?

Thanks 🙂

• posted by wendleg
    on

Hi Sabz
    About OMAD..I didn’t actually set out to do one meal a day but it happened naturally.

I get up at 5.30 am and leave the house aroung 6.30 am. I am not at all hungry at that time so it’s easy to skip breakfast. . I am a teacher and my working day is busy. I don’t have any food temptations at school and just get on with my prep and marking. I enjoy getting organised and ready during the lunch hour but I realise it wouldn’t suit everybody. I honestly don’ t feel the need for a canteen lunch experience . My room is peaceful and I have internet access so I can check the forums when I have done my work.

Some people find if they eat breakfast it make them hungry by lunchtime whereas in my case NOT eating seems to make things manageable and I really don’t feel hungry.

I drink all day however.Green tea and water.

I find my one meal in the evening very satisfying. In the past it was hard for me to identify hunger or maybe I feared it so I just snacked throughout the day. I now look forward to my meal which can be as simple as a 1 or 2 egg omelette with smoked salmon and salad or a yummy recipe from one of the recommended books. For example spicy prawns, veggie chili, baked Peppers… Everything tastes really good .

I also love my dessert of Greek yoghurt and chia berry jam . No added sugar

I must say I often adjust my routine at the weekend when I still have no breakfast but a light lunch ( often a soup with lots of green veg) I then have my evening meal. I have tried very hard to keep within the 800 cals and it is definitely true that I don’t crave carbs any more. I still miss fruit.I used to eat tons but for the 8 Week program I stick to berries.

So far I have lost 5 kilos . That was at the end of Week 3. I expect things might slow down a bit but I feel this is a program I can continue and succedd in. I like to think it’s good for my body to give my digestion a rest.I am basically fasting for a 24 hour period.

Jgwen discussed this ( Dr Fung’s books) and some people do 36hour fasts or more.

I hope that’s helpful Sabz but again , remember we are all different and we have to find what works best for us .

All the best and keep asking the questions ! You are in the right place and there will always be someone there to inform and advise

• posted by Sabz
    on

Hi everyone, Hope your getting on well with your journey 🙂

Wendell: Thanks for sharing all that info! I can totally relate to that , up to year ago I was teaching too and I was more disciplined. Now that I’m working from home it’s a bit harder . It’s true though I’m not hungry in the morning either and can delay eating until about 2pm quite easily, I will try slowly to push it out further. I find once I start eating I want to eat more but if i eat less often it easier to keep a check on overeating or the cravings , if that makes sense. i’m thinking of easing myself in to the OMAD by starting with a version of my own religious fasting where you eat a very small meal just before dawn and then eat a normal meal at sunset. From my research online the OMAD diet doesn’t encourage carb restriction or calorie restriction , just a normal meal. maybe someone could shed some light on this?

All the best and well done with your weight loss that is fantastic progress, really pleased for you. 🙂

• posted by wendleg
    on

Hi Sabz
    I think I answered you on another post but my understanding is that on the BSD program you still need to check carbs and stay within the 800 cals.

Maybe when goal weight is reached, OMAD without calorie or carb restrictions would be acceptable. I’ve read that a 24 hour fast can be a useful maintenance strategy.

Hope this is helpful.

on

Hi all,
    Someone recommended watching Dr. Gary Fettke’s videos — thank you!!—I really appreciate his advice and expertise.

• posted by Violinist
    on

Jgwen, will be watching out for your cholesteral info

• posted by JGwen
    on

I have seen in the past people reporting on blood tests where there is an element of concern on raised cholesterol levels. – I have recently been reading “The art and science of Low Carbohydrate Living” by Jeff S. Volek, PHD, RD and Stephen D. Phinney, MD, PhD. – I had seen different podcasts from low carb gathering which indicated that Dr Phinney and Dr Fung had strongly opposing views on carbs and insulin resistance and wanted to see both sides of the story. – In the book page 167 I came across a paragraph which explains the cholesterol issue, and thought it was worth sharing.
    ———

“There is one anomaly in clinical testing that physicians and patients should be aware of: a transient rise in serum total and LDL cholesterol that can occur with major weight loss. We reported this in 1991. “Phinney, S.D. et al. The transient hypercholesterolemia of major weight loss. AM I Clin Nutr, 1991. 53(6): p 1404 – 10″ and our research revealed the cause. It turns out that along with the triglyceride stored in adipose tissue, our fat cells also contains a small amount of dissolved cholesterol. After about 30 pounds of weight loss, the shrinkage of these cellular fat droplets proceeds to the point that some of this cholesterol has to be released into the serum. The amount of cholesterol involved is 100-200 mg per day in someone losing 2 pounds of adipose tissue per week. Interestingly, although this represents ‘reverse transport’ back to the liver, this cholesterol rise appears in the LDL fraction. But once a person’s weight loss ceases, this expulsion of cholesterol stored in adipose tissue stops and serum LDL cholesterol returns to its new post weight loss baseline.
    So if you or your patient experience a rise in serum LDL cholesterol as the scale passes 30 or more pounds of weight loss, don’t panic. This is a sign that your body is dumping previously accumulated cholesterol. Since this situation typically lasts only a month or two whereas it takes decades of elevated LDL cholesterol to cause blood vessel damage, the probability of any clinical risk is very small. Wait until your weight has stabilized in maintenance for a month or two and then test your LDL level again to be sure it has come back down. ”
    —————-
    To clarify on the “since this situation typically lasts only a month or two phrase”…. elsewhere in the book they do talk about the range of people benefiting from eating low carb to being 3/4 of the population ranging from people who have some level of carb intolerance to T2. They don’t assume that everyone will have lost all the excess weight above 30lb in a couple of months.

• posted by Violinist
    on

Morning Jgwen and all!
    Very interesting reading Jgwen.

For those who haven’t read a thread I have here, I was stating that my recent blood work showed normal triglycerides for the first tome in a long time, showed my lowest a1c since starting to test in the 1980’s, and great thyroid numbers in a while. But did show hdl in the good range, but a little low and ldl increased by over 20 points – not good.

Couple things, Jgwen
    I have not lost any weight (still not making the 800 calories)
    When I see the doc she will most definitely raise my statins. She wanted to 6 months ago and I said “give me a chance to lose weight”, which I did not. I am happy about the triglycerides and a1c, though. I am sure that is due to cutting carbs and eating in a smaller window several times a week..

• posted by JGwen
    on

Any chance with the docs appointment to bring in any measurement changes or change in body composition? – I have been going through a period where my weight stays the same but I am loosing inches. – I have also read that getting insulin levels under control increases the amount of growth hormone circulating which can increase bone density as well as levels of muscle. – So maybe you can demonstrate improvements in body composition even if the weight hasn’t changed.

• posted by Violinist
    on

Thanks for the suggestion, Jgwen, but I have always been quite active and have kept my body composition as good as it gets at 172 pounds at 5’4”. Daily I now fast walk 40 minutes and swim laps for an hour until the recent “cold” spell. I regularaly do the elliptical and ride my bike. My one weakness is strength training.

In summary, my measurements are the same, but need improvement, for sure. I have had high cholesteral since my very first blood tests at the age of 28 – total was 299. Probably inherited.

• posted by JGwen
    on

I keep seeing posts where people are depressed by the results by weighing themselves daily or are concerned about upwards fluctuations. – I came across an explanation of this which I wanted to share with people.
    The Art and Science of Low Carbohydrate Living By Jeff s. Volek and Stephen D Phinney. page 241. – Dont trust the bathroom scale with your mental health.
    ———
    We humans are about 2/3 water. Each of us contains about 40 litres of the stuff, and each litre weights a bit over 2 pounds. Our bodies effectively regulate fluid balance by adjusting urine output and sense of thirst, but this is done within a 2 litre range. Within this range your body doesn’t really care if it is up to a litre above or below its ideal fluid level.
    What this means is that we all live inside a 4 pound wide grey zone, so that from day to day we fluctuate up or down (plus or minus) 2 pounds. This happens more or less at random, so with any one weight reading you don’t know where your body is within that fluid range. Your weight can be the same for 3 days in a row, and the next morning you wake up and the scale says you’ve “gained” 3 pounds for no apparent reason. For people who weight themselves frequently this can be maddening.

There are two solutions to this problem. One, just don’t weight yourself. Or two, defeat this variability by calculating average weights. You can weigh yourself every day and then on one day per week, calculate your average for that week.

If you are really into math, you can weigh yourself every day and then each day calculate a new average over the last 7 days. Each day you do this you drop the oldest value and add the newest one to the calculation.
    ——————
    (Sorry for the “math”, the Dr’s are American and I thought it best to stick to American spelling).

• posted by SunnyB
    on

Thanks for that, JGwen, have a feeling I might be consouling myself with that, come post-holiday weighing in time!

• posted by SunnyB
    on

Thanks for that, JGwen, have a feeling I might be consouling myself with that, come post-holiday weighing in time!

• posted by LindaA
    on

Hey guys, just discovered this thread, have been on the old 1st October thread lately.

For those worried about cholesterol, read this link.
    https://www.marksdailyapple.com/cholesterol/

Since losing all my weight on the BSD +30kg, my total and LDL cholesterol has gone up. I’ve done a massive amount of research and discovered that neither of those figures matter too much. It’s your HDL and triglycerides you need to watch out for (high HDL is good, low triglycerides are very good).

Also, next time you get a blood test, ask for a High Sensitive CRP (C-Reactive Protein). It is s measure of your inflammation and a much better market of heart disease than cholesterol is (funny how pharmaceutical companies will disagree!).

Enjoy!
    Cheers
    Linda

• posted by alliecat
    on

Thanks so much, Catherine! Very interesting reading, and very much in line with what JGwen is doing.
    It’s really heartening that Oz is promoting this way of life. We need someone to get it into the mainstream!
    Have a wonderful weekend 🙂

• posted by Denise susan
    on

Perfect timing violinist was thinking about moving to early in the day eating as FBG are very high but after eating are normal so had been toiling with moving my 8 hours forward.
    My only issue is if I eat early I am ravenous the rest of the day!! Am going to try moving my hours slowly to the start of the day perhaps 10 till 6, then 10 till 4 5 days a week.
    Thanks again for the article Dx

• posted by Violinist
    on

I know, right? I am going to do 12-7 5 days a week.

• posted by JGwen
    on

I came across information on another piece of the puzzle yesterday that explains the carb flue, high weight loss from fluid loss at the start of this way of eating, and leg cramps.
    Our bodies handle salt storage differently if we are on a high carb v low carb diet. With high carb it holds in salt causing fluid retention. With low carb it releases salt which is why we see the dramatic weight loss in the first few weeks as the body releases fluid.
    Carb flu symptoms and leg cramps are caused by the loss of salt and not replacing it from our diet.
    https://www.dietdoctor.com/low-carb/keto/flu-side-effects

• posted by SunnyB
    on

Interesting JGwen. I wonder if this is why a day on high carbs will result in seeing an increase on the scales, which is almost certainly fluid retention, as it disappears so quickly once back on the low carb WOE. MY guess is yes.

• posted by Verano
    on

A new year and so it follows … as the day the night ….. a whole host of ‘dieting’ programs!
    Tonight BBC2 8pm Tom Kerridge… will this series be one of ‘do as I say and not as I do’ as his last series was!
    Followed at 8.30pm on BBC2 by the van Tulleken twins who are usually good viewing.

• posted by SunnyB
    on

Still so enraged about Mr Kerridge I can’t bear to watch him!!!

• posted by sunshine-girl
    on

The other diet programme which was on last night on ITV seems to be a repeat of something I watched last year following 3 people who are all severely obese and I think 2 of them have diabetes. Might record it.

• posted by SaltySeaBird
    on

Sorry all but I absolutely have to have a rant! Latest ‘news’ is that low carb diets are dangerous because people don’t got enough fibre – absolute b*****ks! I do low carb and nearly every meal is packed with low-carb veg – leafy greens, salad stuff, some pulses etc.
    Two points – surely the overwhelming evidence that low-carb diets (such as this one) reverse T2 is a far bigger health improvement than lack of fibre (although that is important)
    Secondly, do I detect the hand of Big Manufacturing + Big Pharma in this? Both stand to lose an awful lot if people were able to eat healthily and completely reverse or prevent T2
    Sorry, I am soooooo angry 😡 at the outright lies being put out, I had to have a rant.
    Rant over
    SSB

• posted by JGwen
    on

My first thought when I read the news articles this morning was……wonder who paid for this research, followed by how many people does the bread industry employ?

• posted by SaltySeaBird
    on

Absolutely. And the big fast food companies, sugar industry – they all want to discredit low-carb and unfortunately, governments seem to allow these industries to pull the strings.
    SSB

• posted by GrahamSPhillips
    on

Two points:
    1) sugar, carbs and processed food are all incredibly unhealthy. Most bread these days is not only high in sugars and carbs its highly processed too.. so it contains all three evils in each lovely slice

2) There is absolutely no conflict between a low-carb/high healthy fat diet and consuming plenty of insoluble fibre. Insoluble fibre is extremely important in maintaining a healthy microbiome and in your own heath. Do both!

• posted by SaltySeaBird
    on

Exactly! I do know of people on extreme keto diets who eat only bacon and steak but they are not the usual low-carb people. It just makes me angry when even science is misreported to maintain the ‘credibility ‘ of government policy e.g. low-fat, high carb
    SSB

• posted by Mariet
    on

That’s si true SSB and not only the food companies. I’ve been reading up I statin use- my doctor is on a mission to have me on statins- and those ‘trials’ are a disgrace! They refuse to release the raw data, they have ‘lead in’ periods to the research where they exclude anyone who’s had an adverse reaction from the studies. It makes the trial results useless for anyone trying to get independent information. I am fortunate in having many years of analysing research papers, how do those with less familiarity get on?

• posted by SaltySeaBird
    on

Hi Mariet, I know – I have read extensively on low-carb, keto etc and feel that I am generally well-informed but many people will see just the headlines and be really fearful of a woe that could actually improve their lives beyond measure – it’s heartbreaking and, I think, immoral for the authorities to distort the evidence to prop up their point of view (not that that is anything new!)
    I know people on here have often spoken of the resistance they get from friends, family and medical staff who wrongly believe that low-carb is dangerous- this will just make those people’s efforts even more difficult.
    So why have the BBC, etc not interviewed Prof Roy Taylor, Dr Fung, or even our own lovely Dr Mosely? These medical professionals could so easily disprove this latest rubbish – but perhaps that’s exactly why they don’t get interviewed. Sorry, still sooooooooo angry! 😡🤬
    SSB

• posted by SaltySeaBird
    on

…sorry Mariet, I meant to say that all the evidence from above mentioned Drs is that low-carb can and does reduce cholesterol – it’s the carbs not the fat that cause the high cholesterol, but more importantly, reduce HDL (the ‘good’ cholesterol) ,so keep going – this woe is so much better than endless medications.
    SSB

• posted by Denise susan
    on

https://www.carbophobic.com/low-carb-high-fibre/
    Today’s report Is saying 25-30g of fibre which can be easily done with nuts, chia, avocado Brussels sprouts etc. When on the really low 800 cal for weight loss more difficult but 800 cal is a short term goal low carb is a way of life

• posted by SaltySeaBird
    on

Hi Denise Susan, yes, it’s very achievable without going near starchy carbs – in fact, I would guess that someone who focuses on the ‘plants and protein ‘ mantra stands a much better chance than someone chowing down lots of bread and cereal, and would significantly reduce their chances of T2, high cholesterol, high blood pressure etc etc etc. I agree that on the 800 cal might make it more challenging but I think it could still be done – it would be difficult to overeat leafy greens!
    Interestingly, Mark Sisson, the Primal and Keto guy, recommends plenty of above-ground veg even when going for keto – he says it is almost impossible to over-carb on above-ground veg.
    SSB

• posted by KazzUK
    on

Totally agree with you, SSB and others. I only heard this on the radio on the way to work this morning so it was just a soundbite but that’s all I needed to hear. It is incredibly frustrating. Did anyone see the Hugh Fernley Wittingstall programme last night? That was very pro low refined carb and low sugar. Makes me wonder if this “news” the next day was a deliberate “muddying of the waters” after last night’s programme! Wouldn’t be at all surprised.

• posted by SaltySeaBird
    on

Hi Kazzuk , yes, my thoughts entirely – given that Tom Kerridge was forced to present his diet as ‘low fat’ when in fact he had done low carb shows that there are no depths to which the powers that be will stoop to hang on to their out-dated science.
    SSB

• posted by SaltySeaBird
    on

So a depressing but predictable follow up to yesterday’s ‘news’ – I met up with some friends I haven’t seen since Christmas – both in their 70s, and he has recently been diagnosed as T2, though neither is overweight. We met for coffee and when I got there they were eating large pieces of cake. The conversation went like this:
    Aren’t you having cake?
    Me: no, I put on a couple of pounds over Christmas and I want to get them off, and I am cutting out carbs.
    Oh, but didn’t you see the news yesterday? Carbs are really good for you – you need them for your fibre, so this cake is actually good for you!
    Me:🙁
    SSB

on

Hi SSB! Ok so this IS what happens when they write such drivel and get people distracted from real healthy eating. The sugar and snack industry is really fighting back, trying to cast doubt on the facts.
    And sadly people are getting confused.

• posted by SaltySeaBird
    on

Hi California Girl, it’s heartbreaking isn’t it?
    I actually found the original summary of the research; not surprisingly, it says NOTHING about ‘having to eat starchy carbs’, it just says that if people are going to eat them, they should choose whole grain versions. It also doesn’t even mention ‘low-carb’ diets – that is just something that some journalists have invented because they don’t want to give up their doorstep sandwiches and beer. I just hope that people considering embarking on the BSD won’t be put off.
    SSB

• posted by SaltySeaBird
    on

Ok – so for dinner this evening- leek, mushroom, smoked salmon and cauliflower bake (cauliflower instead of pasta), served with a big green salad sprinkled with toasted seeds – is someone really going to tell me that because it’s low-carb it doesn’t have enough fibre….
    Love Low-carb 💕😊
    SSB

• posted by KazzUK
    on

Salty, I had a similar experience with a 20 stone colleague who has recently re joined slimming world cos she ‘can’t live without her carbs’. She’d seen the news and basically said the same thing to me yesterday. I said, the headline was misleading, attention grabbing. She hadn’t read the article. She only heard, ‘Blow to low carb……’ and that’s all she wanted to hear. I’ve given up with her to be honest. She asked me a year ago how I’d lost weight and so I told her about BSD, sent her links etc.
    Your dinner sounds marvellous and I would happily pull up a chair at your table! 😁

Please log in or register to post a reply.