Take 2 – Daily Diary

We have not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you are have any health related symptoms or concerns, you should contact your doctor who will be able to give you advice specific to your situation.

• posted by Trev
    on

After a false start a couple of weeks ago, it is time to start again. I plan to keep this simple diary as a way of keeping myself accountable and to track my progress. With a family history of type 2 diabetes and its associated complications and an expanding waistline it is time to take action and change the course.

Age – 43
    Height – 5’11”
    Date – 16/8/16 Day 1 of Week 1
    Weight – 91.1kg (200 pounds)

Is there any thoughts from those already well down the path on how best to stay the course below 800 – eg 3 smaller meals, skip a meal, protein intake

Here goes!!

• posted by captainlynne
    on

Hi Trev

Speaking from week 35, what works for me is eating breakfast then an evening meal. Because I keep the protein level high I’m not hungry inbetween.

I’ve now lost 85 pounds (38.5 kg).

• posted by Trev
    on

Hi CaptainLynne

38.5kg – that’s incredible. You must feel amazing!! Congrats

I am starting out by fasting through until lunch as I seem to have more behaviour control earlier in the day :). I will monitor my energy levels and try the high protein brekky approach if I am struggling.

Yesterday (day 1) as a bit rough – low energy in the afternoon (after lunch) and a bit of a headache but keeping busy seems to take my mind off it. I hear it gets easier as your body adjusts so I am encouraged to keep going.

• posted by Trev
    on

Date: 17/8/16 (Day 2)
    Weight – 89.9 (down 1.2kg – gotta love how quick the water weight drops off)
    BP – 138 / 79 (systolic is high but diastolic is pretty good)
    RHR – 62

Day 1 was tough at times but clearly my body was working on adjusting to the new regime. Down 1.2kg. Clearly a lot of water weight but it shows how much excess weight can be stored simply based on what you most recently put in your mouth. Good start and provides motivation to continue.

Browsing other peoples success stories (and there are some inspirational health transformations) it appears water & more water, keeping busy and sufficient protein levels are keys to success. Any other tips most welcome.

• posted by Trev
    on

Date 18/8/16 (Day 3)
    Weight – 89.4kg (down 0.5kg and 1.7kg so far)

Day 2 was not too bad. Pretty good weight loss (0.5kg or 1 pound). Less energy fluctuation, only a slight headache and good general productivity/mental acuity. Keeping busy is key to avoiding any hunger pangs.

Didn’t sleep well – not sure if it was related to 800 calorie program or just coincidence, but wide awake at 3:30am and struggled to get back to sleep.

So far so good

• posted by Trev
    on

Date 19/8/16 (Week 1 – Day 4 of the Fast 800)
    Weight 89.0 (down 0.4kg and 2.1kg so far)

Day 3 was pretty good. Was kept busy at work so I didn’t notice the hunger pangs much at all. Skipped lunch and went for a walk instead – worked well. Fell off the strict regime a bit last night and enjoyed a few glasses of wine over dinner with friends – but I had allowed some room in the calorie count to accommodate it – seems to have limited the damage (not too far over calorie and carb target range)

• posted by Trev
    on

Date 20/8/16 (Week 1 Day 5 of the Fast 800)

Weight (89.3kg (up 0.3km but down 1.8kg so far)

Well after being well behaved all day and feeling good throughout the day yesterday I fell for the, I’ll just have a couple of drinks with friends routine. Well that turned into overeating and chocolate indulgence (2,000 + calories later)……no one would have seen that coming. So incredibly disappointed after doing so well the first 3.5 days to have fallen of the wagon so spectacularly, with the obvious weight gain as my reward.

But after giving myself a stern talking to, I now have renewed determination not to make this yet another failed attempt to restore my health and reduce my waist line. I am going to hop straight back on the horse (excuse the mixed metaphors) today.

• posted by Trev
    on

Date 21/8/2016

Weight (89.4kg (up 0.1kg but down 1.7kg so far)

Dialled back in the calories yesterday and stayed just over 800 calories for the day. But didn’t monitor the carbs closely enough and got well beyond the target range. Hence the stagnation weight wise.

Will try to be very clean today and dial back the carbs in favour of protein/fat.

• posted by Trev
    on

Weight 89.5 (up 0.1kg but down 1.6kg so far) paying for weekend weaknesses

Weekends are going to be hard to remain within the 800 calorie and low carb limit. Weekdays have more structure and less temptation so I find them much simpler. Going to be very strict during the week and see how quickly I can reverse some of the damage done (ground given back) over the weekend.

Day seven weigh in tomorrow and I am hoping to be under 89.0kg and at 87.0 by the end of week 2.

• posted by Trev
    on

WEEK 1 WEIGH IN

Well after a clean day yesterday I was pleased to see the result on the scales this morning.

Weight – 88.8kg (down 0.7kg for the day and down 2.3kg for the week)

Happy with the weeks loss, particularly given the weekend was not perfect (far from it).

Hoping to go below 87.0kg (down another 1.8kg) by the end of week 2.

• posted by Trev
    on

Week 2 – Day 2

Weight – 88.0kg (down 0.8kg for the day and down 3.1kg overall)

Another really clean day yesterday has shown on the scales. Certainly appear to be losing weight from the top down, with my waist showing less signs of loss that my face, neck and upper body – good motivation to keep going – shift the stubborn tyre.

A reduced eating window (1pm – 8pm) and the use of soups with the addition of a 1/2 tablespoon of coconut oil (good for satiety I have been told – although a little high in calories) has been a good way to stay in control over the last two days.

Mental clarity has been great although, feeling a bit weak this morning. Will monitor protein and fat intake today to ensure I am getting enough. Have a work lunch today which will be a test of control and might mean a very small dinner tonight.

87.0kg end of week 2 target appears within reach so I am keen to maintain the momentum.

• posted by Christi1948
    on

Hi trev,
    I see you are also doing a daily diet record to keep you on track.
    I am also doing that, I find having a protein breakfast, then a protein and salad lunch, ( a small one) then for my evening meal protein again but I like to ring the changes, usually either more salad, but different salad stuff, or Mediterranean roast veg or sometimes even ( what I call British) veg, not too many root veg as they are higher in carbs.
    Have you got an app that tells you the carb and calorie content of the food you eat, I find that useful for me to calculate and helps with what I can eat. I rarely get below 800 calories, however I can get below 50g carbs if I’m careful.
    I can’t remember what the food app is called, it’s a senior moment, again! I’m sure you can find it if you haven’t Already got it?
    Good luck with your journey, onwards and downwards.
    Christine.

• posted by Christi1948
    on

Hi trev,
    It’s called fat secret. The app, you put in what you eat and it counts, calories and carbs, I find it helpful.
    Christine.

• posted by Trev
    on

Week 2 Day 4
    Weight 88.3kg (up 0.3kg but down 2.8kg overall)

Struggled a bit over the last 2 days. Exceeded the carb quoted on each of the last 2 days and it shows in a stalled weight loss.

Have to behave myself today to get the kg’s dropping again.

Please log in or register to post a reply.