T2 Diabetic Starting the BSD 9/1/16

We have not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you are have any health related symptoms or concerns, you should contact your doctor who will be able to give you advice specific to your situation.

• posted by Chubbs1975
    on

Very good afternoon – I’m a 41yr old T2 diabetic and after being given a link for the BSD by my training partner I’ll be starting on the 9/1/16.
    I’m 5’08”, 95kgs with an Hba1c of 45.
    Whilst I have managed to get control of my Hba1c I need to lose more weight and I desperately need to reduce my vísceral fat, (currently 15%).
    I exercise on a regular basis, this year I did the NHS Couch to 5km challenge and I recomendar it to anyone, but I need to do more. I have had severe retinopathy in both eyes and if nothing else I want to stop the degeneration in my body and faculties. I’m not sure I can reverse this, (I’ve been a T2 since early 2009), but I’ll seenqht I can do.
    I’ll also be blogging about my progress – with photos, Arghhhhh on my blog – http://www.cookeatexplore.wordpress.com if anyone wants to see my progress.
    I’ll post here as much as I can too.
    Wish me luck

• posted by AnnieW
    on

Hi and welcome. There are several people on here that have reversed T2. Also check out KrysiaD who has improved her retinopathy too. Have a good look around the forums there’s so much useful information on here and there’s always someone to answer questions. Good Luck with your journey.

• posted by captainlynne
    on

My blood sugars have gone from T2 diabetic to normal levels and I am now maintaining at my target weight.

You may wish to look at a thread called ‘this has to work for me’. Bill, who started that thread, talks about his medication and retinopathy.

• posted by KrysiaD
    on

Chubbs1975
    I started the BSD to stop the retinopathy getting worse. I had read research that it is the after meal spikes that cause the retinopathy so I was quite hopeful that the BSD would help me do this. Of course it did much more because it reversed the retinopathy completely and the diabetes is in remission.

To keep the after meal spikes to an absolute minimum I keep the net carbs to 30g or under. I am more and more convinced that I have had undiagnosed diabetes for a long time before I was diagnosed in 2012. By then my pancreas was so damaged that I had to go straight onto insulin both at night and after all my meals and snacks as my blood sugars were absolutely sky high. If someone hasn’t had diabetes very long they probably would be fine with higher good carbs.

I go for a walk after every meal as even a 10 minute walk helps the insulin to work better and more quickly after you have eaten. I am more insulin resistant after breakfast and this really well to keep my blood sugars low at that time.

So BSD and exercise are a very powerful combination and as you have already sorted the exercise I think that you will do very well on the BSD.

• posted by Chubbs1975
    on

Thank you for the replies and advice
    I’m very keen to see what the results are of this diet both short and long term as an very keen to do what I can to halt or reverse this

• posted by Chubbs1975
    on

So, three days down. My fasting blood sugar has already come down 4.5 points and I’ve had to tweek my meds.
    I’m about 2.5kgs down and feel ok.
    And not sure if it’s a real side effect or not but my eyes feel clearer and I feel my vision is better
    I get tired and hungry mid-afternoon and the temptation for a cake is immense.
    I’m weighing ALL my food and calculating the calories, and in the main sticking to between 8-900 calories a day.
    My starting blog post is up for anyone who would like to see how it doing https://cookeatexplore.wordpress.com/2017/01/09/the-start and I’m posting bits daily on my instagram @_twohungrymen

Any ideas around snack would be gratefully received

• posted by Baristagirls
    on

Hello Chubbs1975 🙂
    When I was doing the first 8 weeks, I found that I had the following snacks:
    Babybel – carb free and nibbled slowly is a good use of the 70cal
    20g of any kind of nuts, pistachio, hazelnut, pine nut, almonds (raw unsalted)
    30g any kind of cheese cubed
    Couple of slices of salami
    1 square very dark chocolate
    90g full fat yoghurt
    Of course you can have vegetable sticks with 25g hummus but I can’t really have raw vegetable (annoying) so I often forget to think of it for others

• posted by sunshine-girl
    on

Hi Chubbs, you will find many changes with this diet. It can throw your body and mind into chaos as things start to change. I had much improved eyesight for a few weeks but it settled down and I had my eye tested a couple of weeks ago and, yes there has been a light improvement but not enough to be worth changing glasses. Also, I regained the feeling in my big toes after about a year of them being numb and feeling ‘thick’ as I describe it. Now it comes and goes but mainly it is better and I have feeling. When I told my chiropodist and she always asks about my HbA1c (that is why I see her because of diabetes) she surprised me and told me she has a client who she described as seriously obese who had gastic surgery and reversed her diabetes. So that is one medical person who believes in what I am doing. Yet to tell my doctor about the feet thing.

You might find you have plateaus when you lose nothing for several weeks then weeks when you lose 1lb every day for a week. You might be constipated or you might have diahorreha it is just a complete mystery but this is not a normal weight loss plan, it is intense and the effects are amazing. I will have a look at your blog. I have also blogged for the 8 week planb under the name if have here on http://www.sparkpeople.com but now only give update reports. I think I introduced the diet to several Americans who are now on here.

Keep on keeping on…

• posted by Chubbs1975
    on

Hi
    My eyes are clearer and less gunky, and my retinopathy certainly feels better already
    But I’ll persevere
    I’ll take a look at your. Oh as I’m always Interested in seeing how others are doing

• posted by Chubbs1975
    on

Thanks for the snack advice
    I just need to work out where to rob some calories from to make them fit
    But I’m hoping that come the end of the week that I will know when to eat to make the cravings less

• posted by Chubbs1975
    on

Hi all
    A quick update with things
    I am nearing the end of week 7 and into the final stretch of the 800 calorie regime

It’s been tough, with some very dark days.
    But to date I am down 13kgs, I have stopped my gliclazide, down to 1 Metformin a day with BS around 5.5 mmol/L give or take.
    My BP has reduced from 135/80 to 120/60 and things are good
    For me this has been a revelation, but the proof of the pudding will be the next 5:2 phase.
    As a T2 diabetic I am a huge advocate of this regime, (it’s a regime not a diet, for me, diet implies something transient and not long lasting).
    This is tough, but with grit and determination you can do it and hopefully be healthier and live longer.
    If you fancy a read of my trials and tribulations please check out my story here
    http://www.cookeatexplore.wordpress.com
    Si

Please log in or register to post a reply.