Switching from shakes to real food

We have not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you are have any health related symptoms or concerns, you should contact your doctor who will be able to give you advice specific to your situation.

• posted by dart1
    on

I started off following the original Newcastle Diet (https://bit.ly/2Ep3Ttl) and over seven weeks I have steadily lost 18kg. As per the suggestion in the Eight Week Blood Sugar Diet book, last week I changed over to following the 800 calories a day diet using the recipes in that book and the separate recipe book. I have a sedentary job, but I run (slowly on reduced calories) for about an hour or more a day and according to the tracking app I use (Runkeeper) I burn around an average of 600 calories a day doing this. In the week since changing from the shakes I have actually gained weight (going from 114.3kg to 114.6kg) and I am wondering if this is something to be expected when making that transition and if so when should I expect to start losing weight again? For the record I have been following the meal plans religiously so I have not inadvertently increased my calorie intake. Many thanks in advance for any tips or advice based on your own experiences!

• posted by Niknak87
    on

I’m thinking that the increase may just be because there is more weight of physical food in your body, if this is the case then it should start moving down next week.

Do you measure anything else other than the weight? (Fat percentage/body measurements?)

The physical weight can be affected by so many different things that it doesn’t necessarily mean you aren’t losing fat.

• posted by Esnecca
    on

The calorie counts in the original book are frequently off, sometimes by hundreds of calories. I understand the recipe book is more accurate. That could be a factor as could the transition to food that has more mass than a liquid diet, but given the fractional amount of your gain, it could be something completely random in your digestive process or even a hiccup on the scale itself. I once gained two pounds overnight after I’d been doing the 800 calories with fewer than 20 grams of carbs a day for months. Weight loss is not linear for most people.

Keep moving forward and try not to worry too much about the small fluctuations. Easier said than done, I know. I had a full-on meltdown that day I gained two pounds. Good luck!

Please log in or register to post a reply.