SunnyB Reporting in from Turkey …

We have not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you are have any health related symptoms or concerns, you should contact your doctor who will be able to give you advice specific to your situation.

• posted by SunnyB
    on

Have been out of the loop for a week, but am now in Turkey with some wifi access again. Have been trying hard to keep control of diet and think I am succeeding at the moment. Have been checking for ketones each morning and getting some result, although most of the time it is only just registering – taking that as a positive sign (hope I am not completely deluding myself there!).

Was difficult to keep properly hydrated on the way here, as spending hours at a time in the car is not readily compatible with just popping to the loo. This of course didn’t help the constipation problem I was already struggling with, but I’m pleased to report that since arriving at destination, both issues have been successfully resolved. Have found the Omega seed mix from H & B has helped no end with the constipation and now we are in our apartment, I can make sure to stay hydrated with ease.

Visited the local food market yesterday to stock up on some beautiful salad veg and strawberries, fresh herbs, fresh eggs, nuts and spices. Limiting myself to the occasional glass of red, plenty of strawberries and yogurt, fresh salads with meat or fish and the odd nibble of cheese too. I have a pair of cut-off that historically I have had to leave the top button undone on, I can currently do it up with space to spare, so I am going to use them as a measure of how I am doing – if they get to tight for me to button comfortably, there will be a major review of diet!!

I will drop in occasionally to see what is happening on the forum threads, to see how everyone is getting on and add a post or two as well, but in the main, I am going to be on my sundeck with my kindle!

• posted by orchid
    on

Hi SunnyB, glad to hear you have arrived okay and are enjoying it. Your ‘cut-offs’ are great news and certainly will give you a good indication that you need to make adjustments.
    On the ketostix, I have only just started using them and I am -/+ in the evening, but + or ++ some mornings. What has been more interesting is that I have just started exercising more – yesterday a 2 hour hike, today a 45 min jog/walk, both after breakfast and both ketostix first thing were +. Both activities were about 45 min drive from home so I took the readings an hour after exercise was completed. On both days it went up to ++. Now before I attribute it all to exercise, I need a ‘non-active day’ and take the measurements about 2 hours after breakfast and see if it increases during the day normally. If not – a brisk walk may help kick you back into fat-burning mode with fewer adjustments to your diet.
    I’ll report back – looks like Sunday is the next ‘non-active’ morning.
    Enjoy all the lovely fresh fruit and veg there – and the cheeses and yogurts.

• posted by Janet1973
    on

Orchid, my ketostix do the same thing with half an hours jogging/walking. More walking than jogging.

• posted by Janet1973
    on

That probably looks incredibly rude, to gatecrash sunnyb’s thread and not even say hello. But we caught each other on another thread earlier. Nontheless, great to have you back sunnyb. I never realised the power of seeds until I started this programme. Your food shopping sounds wonderful.

• posted by orchid
    on

Hi Janet, thanks for that info. That is a real motivator for exercise and such a quick visual one!

• posted by Janet1973
    on

Ketostix are my new addiction! I check nearly every time I go. Sad I know.

• posted by SunnyB
    on

Hi Orchid and Janet1973
    Thanks for responding on this thread. I thought it would be easier for me than trying to track all that’s posted on the ‘Weigh-In’ thread. Still managing to keep the keto reading in the + zone, but as I said before it’s in the lower band. Think it’s going okay though. Had a little blip the other day, which I put down to over indulging on cashews and pistachios. Lesson learnt and will be keeping those in check.
    Meanwhile, just relaxing in the sun and reading!

• posted by Janet1973
    on

Sounds lovely sunnyb, well done on those keto readings. You’ve obviously got this cracked and I bet your summer shorts are looking good too!

Off on a working holiday myself tomorrow for four days. Probably not going to be much sun though, just up to saltburn on the north east coast until Thursday. I’m not taking my scales, only my ketostix a la sunnyb! But I have bought the same foods I eat at home so it should be no different apart from a few lovely seaside walks!

Have a great week!

• posted by SunnyB
    on

Hope you manage to get some relaxation time on your trip Janet1973. Have to say the ketostix are a bit of a comfort-blanket at the mo, as without scales, I only have them to give me any idea if I’m on track or not. Haven’t had the diet really tested yet – that will happen soon, when we visit with some Turkish friends, where they’ll expect me to eat bread, pastries etc. It’s going to be difficult to refuse without offending, so wish me luck!

• posted by hashimoto
    on

Hi Sunnyb glad you have arrived in Turkey OK. I’m sad to say I over indulged in nuts tonight —oddly it was cashews and pistachios too 🙂

Please log in or register to post a reply.