Sugar Free Gum

We have not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you are have any health related symptoms or concerns, you should contact your doctor who will be able to give you advice specific to your situation.

• posted by JK88
    on

I have read that chewing sugar free gum is a good way to curb appetite, and it does.

However, i looked on the pack and it says that there are 150cal per 100g?

is this right? should i not be chewing it?

thanks

• posted by SunnyB
    on

In my opinion, it would be healthier to have something with fat content, as this is more satisfying and will hold off the hunger for longer. Try some nuts, small pot of full fat yogurt or a cube of cheese.

• posted by JK88
    on

I agree,

the issue is i cant eat at my desk at work.

therefore i chew the gum, so is it ok to be chewing gum?

thanks

• posted by Frog
    on

Wrigley’s website gives a similar calorie content, and 60.7 g of carbs for 100g – however the carb per stick of chewing gum is 0.91 grams – so a single stick must weigh just under 1.5g – so to consume 100g, you’d be looking at 70 sticks, so just over 2 calories a stick. As you don’t swallow the stuff, I imagine the carbs and calories are whatever it’s coated in.

I can think of healthier things – but it is possible to work out what you’re consuming and add it in to your daily log – if a single piece of gum is too light to register accurately, weigh ten pieces and work it out that way. If it’s only one or two pieces a day, you might decide not to bother counting it.
    Would drinking water come within your organisations desk policy and curb hunger pangs?
    I don’t like chewing gum much personally, but on occasions that I’ve had it, say if my teeth felt yucky and no toothbrush, I think I found the chewing action made my stomach expect food and therefore me hungry.

Whatever happened to original flavour Dentyne by the way? – Or Dentyne full stop? I had a yucky/teeth mouth feeling a few months ago and went into about six shops without finding any.

• posted by josie53
    on

Talking of carb content, is it correct that 4 strawberries contain 28 g carbs. it seems a huge amount

• posted by spcox
    on

I agree with Frog. I also find gum (sugar-free or otherwise) simply makes me hungry. My stomach goes into overdrive waiting for the food to arrive and when it doesn’t I feel much more hungry than I did without it.

When I’ve really needed something, I’ve grabbed 10 almonds. I eat one at a time. I don’t chew it. I treat it like a throat lozenge. Eventually, the other layer comes off and you’re left with the kernel, which you can eat slowly without looking like you’re eating. Its amazing how good this works (well, for me anyway). Just something to consider.

• posted by Leeanne
    on

Re. strawberries, the book I use states :
    3 heaped tablespoons equals 27 cals and 6g carbs. (Relates to fresh not tinned).

I’ve always chewed sugar free gum – I even forgot to count the cals!!

• posted by nonnie
    on

Hi josie53,

Info from the USDA (U.S. Dept. of Agriculture) site https://ndb.nal.usda.gov/ndb/foods/show/2385?manu=&fgcd=

100 grams strawberries = 7.68g carbs, 2g fiber (5.68g net carbs)
    1 medium strawberry (1 1/4″ diameter, 12 grams) = 0.92g carbs, 0.2g fiber (0.72g net carbs)

• posted by josie53
    on

Thanks Leanne my fitness pal says 28g for strawberries so can’t alter it in my fitness pal but it makes my carbs today within the 50g

Please log in or register to post a reply.