Success, Failure and Determination

We have not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you are have any health related symptoms or concerns, you should contact your doctor who will be able to give you advice specific to your situation.

• posted by Leeanne
    on

I successfully completed my 8 weeks back in May. I was overjoyed with just over 2st weight loss and halving my dose of Metformin. My GP was astonished!

Here I am on December 13th, having regained a stone!!! I’ve let bad habits creep back in, been greedy and have fallen well and truly off the wagon.

I’m determined to re-start TODAY. I’ve done it once and am determined to do it again – the aim is a 3st loss which would bring me to 10st, but will take about 12 weeks.

So fellow 800’ers I’m back from the dark side and joining back in, Christmas season or not, I’m determined!

• posted by captainlynne
    on

Welcome back Leeanne

I started the BSD at this point last year (and now maintaining after losing 7st 6lbs) – many others are deciding to do that now, even with Christmas being so close so you have company as you begin your journey again.

Congratulations on your determination and best wishes for your new journey.

• posted by Leeanne
    on

Thanks Captainlynne, you’ve well and truly cracked this!! I used to be an avid reader of your posts in the forum along with Bill’s and one or two others too. You’ve done so well!! I hope I can finally do it again. I’m so mad with myself at the moment!!

• posted by captainlynne
    on

Still around, still posting!

It’s my first BSD anniversary on 19th December, so may start another new thread. Although I don’t post as often, I do try to look on the forums and answer any questions that I can.

Don’t be too mad at yourself, just make the fresh start. You sound really determined. Make 2017 your year.

2016 wasn’t anything like I expected. Losing all that weight, getting blood sugars in normal range, then the Daily Mail photo shoot and article. Now back wearing contact lenses, bought good (and expensive!) undies, wearing jeggings. Between Christmas and New Year I’m going for a full day to get colours done, then makeup colours and lesson, then style analysis.

Needed a new challenge for 2017, so decided to concentrate on learning Italian (started already). And will also be looking for new clothes – no point at this time of year with everything being Christmas themed!

Please keep posting about your progress. Look forward to reading the posts.

• posted by Peapod
    on

Good luck Leeanne. 2 stones in 8 weeks is quite an achievement so I’m sure you can do it again.

Capatainlynne – wondering if you have ever strayed from the diet or have you been strict with yourself all the way through ?
    I have had a bad week and gained 3lbs but won’t let it deter me. ( too many birthdays and celebrations in the last 10 days and my willpower waned )
    Back on track today but would like to know how you have coped and whether you have had any hiccups.

• posted by captainlynne
    on

Hi Peapod – been strict all through.

When I’ve been away from home (UK or abroad) I’ve made the best choices possible, concentrating on low carb. Also realised I needed to watch portion sizes. First trip abroad in the early bad days, I made best choices, but wasn’t careful enough with portion sizes – so I learned that lesson.

It took 38 weeks to reach my original target of 9st 7lbs (6st 7lbs lost), then decided to keep going for a while to get some wriggle room. In the extra 13 weeks I’ve lost another 12 pounds, today weighing 8st 8lb – been maintaining around that weight for the last month and happy with that. Wouldn’t want to lose much more.

Today I had to make menu choice for a conference in January – decided on the breast of chicken, rather than the beef, because the veg seem better. And declined dessert. At same conference this year I had the beef, hid the carbs under the Yorkshire pudding and declined dessert. I even managed to lose a couple of pounds durin a holiday in Italy – no pasta, pizza, ice cream etc. If all else fails, I drink black coffee or sparkling mineral water until I can get suitable food. Oh, and I once bought a sandwich on a small railway station, ate the filling and threw the bread away!

Those are the kind of choices I’ve made, and it’s worked for me, although I do appreciate that others do it differently.

Hope this helps.

• posted by sunshine-girl
    on

Im with Lynne on this. For us diabetics it is a commitment for life not just a diet to dip in and out of. I have done the sandwich trick and I have had pate on toast (or a cracker) and kept using the same cracker to eat the pate off but never eating the cracker.

Leanne it is not the end of the world and you have done it before. I don’t believe in making ourselves miserable so come back to it in the New Year.

• posted by Peapod
    on

Thanks for answering my question Lynne. You have done brilliantly to stay on course for so long. I am going to be stricter from now on, I want to be slim again more than I want to eat carbs. Reading your posts just shows it can be done and with a large amount to lose I am hoping 2017 will be the year I succeed in losing enough to have a normal BMI .

• posted by Leeanne
    on

Captainlynne: you are a shining example, it’s incredible. I saw your Daily Mail pics – stunning!
    Peapod: thanks – I found my first 8 weeks relatively easy – I was in the right mindset!
    Sunshine-girl: I’m afraid it’s now or never for me! Too much temptation with the lovely Xmas food – I am a catastrophic eater – the perfect example in fact. Most of the foody stuff I’d bought for Xmas has been scoffed by hubby and me! I can never stop at one biscuit!
    Today I’ve measured my vitals and weighed myself. I’ve put the scales away for a week.
    I’m re-reading the BSD book and have watched the Panorama programme on diabetes (gruesome) many times in an attempt to keep me focused.
    Good luck to us all!

• posted by captainlynne
    on

Thanks Leeanne 😀

It’s hard to believe that a I’ve lost another stone since those photos were taken. It was them that persuaded me back into red clothes, and triggered all the ‘me’ things I’m doing. It was a nerve racking experience, but I’m glad I did it.

Please log in or register to post a reply.