Struggling with low blood sugar

We have not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you are have any health related symptoms or concerns, you should contact your doctor who will be able to give you advice specific to your situation.

• posted by Seadog
    on

Hi guys, looking for some help !
    I’m T2 recently diagnosed, and am 100% committed to this WOE. I’m trying so hard to get though the day, but am really struggling. I’m skipping breakfast to bring in a fasting period and get obvious benefits from that of autophagy. I have a lunch of a slice of Banting bread (home made) with an egg, smoked salmon or mackerel, small amount of cheese and half an avocado and salad. So lots of protein and fat.
    So, great this far and then….about 4pm my blood sugar drops and I get so hungry, if I eat anything then it’s very likely that I will start to empty the fridge !. So, I’m really struggling. I. An do this, I just have to find a coping mechanism to get me through the early evening period until dinner time. I’ve thought about glucose tablets but that’s not really a fix is it ? Eating glucose isn’t exactly low carb !
    Do I just need to go for a walk, deep breathing etc ? Is this just a mental problem that can be solved with mindfulness ? Or do I need to do something else that I haven’t thought of ?.
    When the low blood sugar kicks in, I feel tired and lethargic, but I know it does pass if I can just avoid eating until dinner.
    For info I’m not on any meds for diabetics, and newly diagnosed.
    Any help would be really appreciated !

Thank you 😊

• posted by JGwen
    on

Hi Seadog,
    Can I clarify if you mean that you are testing your blood sugars in the afternoon and they are low or if you are suffering from what is known as carb flu or keto flu and are describing it as having low blood sugar? – There is a stage we all go through when your body is first adapting from a high carb diet to being able to burn fat where our bodies are still expecting frequent doses of carbs and have not yet got into easily switching over to burning our fat stores for an alternative fuel source.
    There are people on the forum who have been diagnosed as T2 who will be able to step forward to help if its low blood sugar, and others will step forward if its carb flu.
    I would suggest joining one of the regular challenges, there is a weekly challenge which has the current date in the title, and a monthly challenge which has zoom and the month we are zooming towards in the title. – In both challenges you will find a range of people from newcomers to people who have reached their targets and stay around to offer a helping hand. – Its much easer for people to spot your post and respond if you post on those threads than if you set up a new thread for each question.

• posted by Bjorn
    on

It is rather hunger hormones. Make sure you really fill your 800 calorie quota, drink alot and watch the carbs closely (50g, 20g, whichever you think suits you the best) The blood sugar rarely goes too low unless you are on insuline and take too much.

• posted by sunshine-girl
    on

If you are testing and your BG is really low then you should eat something. It can go too low and you will be weak, dizzy, fuzzy thought and sight goes blurred, tingling of the lips or fingers are all signs of a hypo. Around 4 pm is my danger time too and I now allow for a small snack like a few nuts or, if I go so low as to know I am ill with it I have some yoghurt with a couple of prunes. Long gone are the days when I reach for a jam sandwich but I still need something to lift my BG. Make sure you count your snacks into your calorie allowance and, even if you go a bit over the 800, dont worry. Just keep yourself safe.

Please log in or register to post a reply.