Starving

We have not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you are have any health related symptoms or concerns, you should contact your doctor who will be able to give you advice specific to your situation.

• posted by Michael Rolls
    on

Started the 800 26th January. since finishing the 8 weeks, I have stayed with the general principles and average about 840 cals a day, BUT, 4 or five times I have had a day in which I have felt absolutely starving – and none of my normal ‘good’ foods, have made the hunger go away in the slightest. Today was such a day , and not until I had had a bowl of porage, and two potato waffles with my salmon fillet, has the feeling at last subsided.
    Anyone else having similar occurrences? It’s not a disaster, but I really don’t understand it.
    Mike

• posted by Esnecca
    on

If you’re following the NHS fat guidelines you mentioned in your other thread, that could be part of the problem. Fat and fiber will fill you up like nothing else. Throw in a good amount of protein and I guarantee hunger will not enter the picture for hours. I make a dish with kelp noodles (all fiber, almost no calories), turkey sausage and a sauce made from cream cheese, parmesan, chicken broth and a no-carb plant gum thickener that fills me up so thoroughly I feel like I’m straining at the seams. Calories: 293. Net carbs: 1 gram. Fiber: 4 grams. Fat: 20 grams. Protein: 21 grams. When I have it for lunch, I often have difficulty getting anywhere near 800 calories for the day because I am simply too stuffed to contemplate shoving anything else in there.

What’s your macronutrient breakdown? Mine is 20 grams carbs, 53 grams fat and 60 grams protein. I aim for 25 grams fiber but I rarely achieve it. Usually I’m lucky if I get to double digits.

• posted by Californiagirl
    on

Hi Mike — when you’re really famished, my personal rule is EAT! Just make it fat or protein and preferably both. But really, eat. Half the battle here is listening to our bodies REAL signal for food — and I put “absolutely starving” in that category.
    I would go to salami (uncured) or bacon or cheese or tuna salad with lots of mayo and capers or deviled eggs or nut butter or a can of sardines — all of these have stopped my “starving” and are my go-to foods for hunger.

on

Like the ideas, folks – my overall averages are 803 cals., 39 fat (of which 15 sat), 36 carb (of which 9 sugar) 8 fibre, 66. protein. Must say tahat I would like the fibre figure to be higher, but everything that is high in fibre that I can find is also high in carbs.
    Mike

• posted by sunshine-girl
    on

Michael, the carbs you are filling up on are creating more hunger due to the rise in blood sugar and then the swift drop. Esnecca and CG are giving you good advice.

• posted by Esnecca
    on

The best foods for fiber content are avocados (also high in omega-3 fats) and my personal secret weapon: black soybeans. I get them canned at the store so I don’t have to do any of the soaking and boiling you have to do with the dried version. Unlike regular black beans, they are low in carbs. They are also low in flavor, which can be a good thing since it makes them very versatile. I use them to make hummus, in salads, with tuna in a spicy mustard sauce, in burrito bowls, everywhere you might use regular beans. You just add spices and herbs galore and they absorb their taste like a sponge.

A half cup (130 gram) serving has 1 net gram carbs, 7 grams fiber, 11 grams protein. The same amount of regular black beans has 12 net grams carbs, 6 grams fiber, 7 grams protein.

Other than that, one tablespoon of chia seeds sprinkled on a salad will give you an immediate shot of 5 grams of fiber. I also make a chia pudding using coconut cream (the thickest part of the milk) which is lush and delicious and also high in good fats. High in calories too, however, so you have to limit yourself to a few spoonfuls.

on

Thanks for that – I’m not terribly au fait with foods outwith my normal range – never heard of black soy beans, so I’ll look them up
    Mike

• posted by Hil1502
    on

I had the same thing. Once in awhile, not often, I would get so incredibly hungry. I eat my 800 well: lots of “good” veggies, protein and fat..but then I’ll get a blip one day and get so hungry. I take the view thay if Im that hungry then I need to eat and Ill double up, & maybe follow up with yogurt mixed up with a bit of dried fruit, berries nuts and seeds. Its usually just enough to keep me away from Pizza Hut (my nemesis!!).
    I’ve deleted all the takeaway apps on phones now 🙂

Please log in or register to post a reply.