Starting today on the 8 week Diet 20/08/2016

We have not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you are have any health related symptoms or concerns, you should contact your doctor who will be able to give you advice specific to your situation.

• posted by Arty1
    on

I am starting my 8 week diet today the time is 5.45 am and I have just taken my blood : 11.8 mmol/l.
    Not sure what is ahead for me as it is only day 1 but I am determined to try and complete the 8 week program. I walk my black Labrador every morning and I am not sure if my walk is 10 000 steps. May have to invest in a pedometer.

I will be interested in different recipes and advice along the way.

Shall write a log each day as a way to encourage my path along the 8 weeks and to see what happens.

• posted by Avila
    on

Welcome,

from my pedometer an hour with my dog is about 6000 steps (could be more in the time if didn’t keep stopping for the dog to sniff).

Lots of encouragement in the threads here.

• posted by GingerandBella
    on

Hi Arty1.
    I started my 8 week plan today as well – and even got my husband to try it as well.
    I walk our 2 bichons every day – I know it’s not a lot of exercise as they are pretty lazy 😀.
    Good luck with your start.

• posted by Arty1
    on

Hello Ginger and Bella and Aliva, thank you for the welcome. It is strangely comforting to share this journey with others. Aliva thank you for your pedometer reading my Labrador wees on every tree along the 4 km walk it takes an hour or so. He is an old dog 11 years and beautiful nature.

• posted by Apple
    on

Hi Arty1 & GingerandBella, I have started the BSD this week too, although I started on Tuesday. I’m excited to see how much I can lose in the 8 weeks but I think I’ll be staying on it for considerably longer. I’ve seen a few others on the forums have just kept going with it until they reach their ideal weight so it has inspired me. I know from my pedometer an hours stroll is around 6000 steps as Avila said earlier. I don’t have a dog but do have a 5 year old son so our walks start out at quite a good tempo but the novelty soon wears off and he begrudgingly trudges along sloooowly after about ten mins 🙂

on

Hi Apple
    Hopefully I will be right there with you as I know it’s going to take more than 8 weeks.
    There is comfort knowing there are others in the same boat.
    Good luck with your start. Your little one can be good motivation for being healthy.

on

Dogs are amazing. They provide us with much comfort and companionship.

• posted by KrysiaD
    on

Hi Arti1 – I have a labrador who wees on every tree also. It is great having dogs because you do have to walk with them every day.
    Avila is right – the threads here are great – I read them every day and they have really kept me away from the bad carbs.

• posted by Arty1
    on

Day 2. It is 4.35 am Blood Sugar is 10.8 mmol/l which is lower than yesterday. Feeling okay after Day 1 and keen to see where and what results this diet will have on my blood sugar levels. I have high hopes of being within normal ranges for blood sugar by the end of 8 weeks. I too realize that this is my life style change to eat a Med. diet. after 8 weeks and continue to feel well and hopefully reverse my diabetes.
    By the way I live in Australia and the weather here is pretty mild and my dog ,Lucky is keen for his walk.

Thanks for your support I am sure I will need it as we progress along the way.

• posted by KrysiaD
    on

Hi Arty1, that’s great that your blood sugar has started dropping so quickly. You are right that we will need to keep off the bad carbs to stay healthy. What has amazed me is that this way of eating now feels so normal and enjoyable and i don’t feel as though I could go back to the bad carbs. This has never happened before when I have been on other diets.

• posted by Arty1
    on

Thanks KrysiaD. Early days yet and a long way to go. I am keen to continue and have the support of my family and the videos I have watched from BSD have been really encouraging , I would love to reverse my Diabetes. That is my goal.

• posted by Butterlover
    on

Hi all, Ive been on this journey since May with a great start and then a bad slump. Now back to progress. here ‘s few ideas of things that I have done. Buy a good scale.I weigh daily. I take my BGL every morning before anything. If I feel ravenous, I take it again ,then I know if its low that I need to eat or ,if its Ok I know its a craving. I’m pre diabetic so I don’t need to take it at all but I really find this helps.
    I bought the Michelle Bridges food scale from BIG W.Its a great help to calculate calories and carbs .Track everything S.health app on my phone has been a great help to get me over the last difficult patch.The fellow dieters on these forums have made a real difference, As I don’t have a person the buddy with.I wish you all a great journey .Cheers

• posted by Antigone
    on

Hey Arty1
    You’re off to a great start. Good advice from Butterlover re; scales – mine are rubbish and I need t o get new ones. Mine wobble but I’m hoping the weight loss will be large enough to move it along anyway! Good luck…..I’ll be watching your progress lol!

• posted by Arty1
    on

Day 3. BS reading 10.1 mmol/l. This is still dropping and hopefully tomorrow it will be under 10.0 mmol/l. All is good so far. Have to take the dog for a walk and then work on a few paintings that are on the go.
    Hope everyone is travelling well and the day is good for you.

• posted by Arty1
    on

Day 4. BS 9.1 mmol/L. I thought this morning it would not be lower than 10 because I enjoyed a Chicken Korma (Patak’s curry paste) which has plenty of palm sugar for dinner, plenty of veges and no rice. I followed that up with three single malt whisky and ice. Exceeded my 800 by 200. Am feeling a little guilty this morning but my blood sugar is still falling each morning. I hope this continues and if so, by the weekend my blood sugar should be within normal ranges. That will be a first for many years.
    I am off to walk the dog, feeling good.

• posted by sunshine-girl
    on

Arty1, just don’t be lulled into thinking you can get away with the little cheats and still reduce your b/g. You have to put in some work, just think of it as a painting in progress.

• posted by Arty1
    on

Day 5 BS 8.2 mmol/L. great news for me, not sure when this will level out. The weight loss has not been as good, I have lost about 4 lbs since the 20th but the last two days not much as changed.
    My walk is getting easier though and I am not feeling as tired. I am off to walk my dog.

I hope everyone will have a good day and thanks for your support.

Ps. It is a beautiful morning in Oz today.

• posted by Arty1
    on

Day 6 BS 8.2 mmol/L the same as yesterday. How things change quickly. My best mate, Lucky is in Vet hospital having breathing difficulties his cancer has spread to his lungs from the latest xray. Tears all round last night , we will bring him home this afternoon and spend some time with him. How long we do not know. No walk today.

• posted by Imogen
    on

Hello Arty1,

How sad to hear of your best friends illness, but glad that you have chosen to spend this time with him…good friends bring such comfort

• posted by Frog
    on

Hi Arty
    so sorry to hear about Lucky – enjoy making the most of your time together

• posted by Arty1
    on

Day 7 BS 8.1 mmol/L. This would seem to be my level at present first thing in the morning, whether I can get that down further we will have to wait and see. Still a good result for my first week as BS is good across the day with lower levels @ 6.4 mmol/L.

One week down, seven more to go. My dog Lucky is back home and breathing better. Might head out for a short walk today, it is good to have him home.

Another beautiful day in Oz.

• posted by Frog
    on

Hi Arty
    Glad to hear that Lucky is home, I appreciate tinged with sadness, but it must be great to have him at home again – have a lovely day with him.

• posted by Arty1
    on

Day 8 4.25 am – BS 5.5 mmol/L. This reading came as a bit of a shock, did not expect my BS to be so low and within the normal range.

Lucky is still breathing well and sleeping on our bed every chance he gets, my wife keeps chasing him off. If he is not around it is a sure bet he is asleep on my side with his head on my pillow. Got to love Black Labradors they are true characters.

Be heading out for a walk with the dog looks like another beautiful sun rise this morning here in Oz.

• posted by Frog
    on

Hi Arty – great news on the blood results, and brilliant that Lucky is comfortable being back at home.
    Don’t you always have beautiful sunny days in Oz? – a bit too hot and stuffy in London today, although there were some pleasant breezy bits around docklands and Canary Wharf this afternoon.

• posted by Arty1
    on

Thanks Frog. Yes, most days are sunny during winter and cool. I do not like the heat and humidity of summer often head south to Tasmania, fly fishing in the cooler world heritage areas up on the Tasmanian highlands.

• posted by KrysiaD
    on

Hi Arty1 – really good news about you blood results – you have got into normal range very quickly. Good that Lucky is home and breathing better. We have a 10 year-old chocolate Labrador and a 6 year-old black. Both very different characters.

• posted by Arty1
    on

Day 9 BS 6.2 mmol/L. Did not take my 1000 mm Metformin tablet last night. Shall monitor my BS closely today and tomorrow. I am seeing my GP on Monday to discuss things and check my BP. Hopefully, it will be good news all round. I have lost some weight and my waist circumference is smaller. Have not measured both yet but will when I see my GP. Lucky is still doing well he is hard to get off the bed in the morning it is still cool here around 10 degrees which is very pleasant really, then rising to 22 degrees. Kurrawongs are singing this morning, they have a beautiful call when there is several together. Off for my dog walk.

Hope everyone is well and happy.

• posted by Arty1
    on

Day 10 BS 7.4 mmol/L this morning, still be monitoring closely as no Metformin last night. Off to the GP today to see what he thinks he should be blown away. My wife’s birthday yesterday had a very small bite of some delicious Gemini cake made by the Welsh Lady.
    We have been buying her cakes for 22 years for birthdays that is how good they are.

Off to walk the Dog ,have a good day everyone.

• posted by Frog
    on

Hi Arty
    Birthday wishes to your wife, and hello to Lucky
    What’s a Gemini cake? I googled it to see, but only came up with cakes with twins iced on them, and Gemini birthdays are May and June, so that didn’t make sense!

• posted by Yowzer49
    on

Hi ARTY good to meet you..how did it go at the doctors?
    Sending big hugs to you and yr beautiful dog. Lots of pet lovers here and we know how hard it is when a precious
    four legged friend is unwell xx

• posted by Arty1
    on

Day 11. BS 7.7 mmol/L. My visit to my GP went well he was very pleased with my progress, still off 1000 mg of Metformin .

Looking at some new recipes to make for the whole family. Lucky doing well. we are now off for our walk. Kurrawongs singing and a beautiful sunrise.

Hope everyone is well.

Please log in or register to post a reply.