Starting today

We have not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you are have any health related symptoms or concerns, you should contact your doctor who will be able to give you advice specific to your situation.

• posted by Ren65
    on

Hi
    I’m starting on my journey to the BSD way of eating today. I have dabbled in the past and know that I am quite happy on this way of eating (don’t like to call it a diet). I think by posting on here I will be more likely not to give in and will find it easier to stick with it if I hold myself accountable to all you lovely BSDers! I am not diabetic but obese with a big waist and tummy! I’m female 52 years of age, in a sedentary job but on the plus side I like walking and try and do my 10,000 steps a day anyway so that side of it is easy for me but I will start and do some toning exercise as well. I have always been on the chubby side, I can put on weight on diets when other people lose tons (slimming world) and seem to have been on and off diets most of my adult life! I will post on here my food and ramblings and hope someone takes time to read and offer advice! Just off to work so I will post my food and starting weight later! Have a good day everyone!x

• posted by Juss_185
    on

Hi Ren65, starting today too. I’m very similar to you and have put on weight doing SW etc. My weight has slowly crept up from 10 stone to 14 in the last 3 years! I’m aiming to lose at least 2 stone for a family wedding in August. Hopefully we can spur each other on. I’m usually flagging by day 3 of any “diet” πŸ™

I’m using the my fitness pal app to track my calories etc. If you don’t already use it I highly recommend it.

Good luck πŸ™‚

• posted by greenjanet
    on

Hi both of you.

I’m also starting today, have had great success in the past, but now hoping to repeat the success, and keep the lbs permanently of.
    My fitness pal is brilliant, I also use a jawbone up to count steps etc. So happy days both of you. πŸ˜ŠπŸ™‹πŸ˜Š

• posted by Ren65
    on

Hi there glad to have some people to join our new me quest to get us healthier, fitter and hopefully to that target weight. How has your day been? I have coped really well must admit though posting on here this morning has definitely made me stick with it rather than the usual me who would say I’ll have that to eat and start again tomorrow! I’m trying to stick to fasting 16:8 week days anyway as I don’t always want breakfast anyway! So the bit I have been dreading but feel I must share, weight today 13st 4.5lbs, waist 39.5″ and hips 50.5″. Hopefully there are a good few pounds of water weight there! I track my steps on my fitbit and calories and carbs on nutracheck which is really easy to use and my fitbit syncs with it as well so it’s all very visual. So I have managed my 10,000 steps already just going to have something else to eat as I’m only on 500 cals and 27g carb going to try to keep to 40 if possible! Let me know how you are getting on!x

• posted by Storm333
    on

Hi everyone. I’m starting today, a couple of days later than you all. Hope you don’t mind me joining you. I’m 55 and not diabetic yet but do have BMI of 31 and waist of 39.5 inches so desperate to shift this weight before I do get diabetes! Many unsuccessful weight loss attempts but this sounds do-able. I also use a Fitbit for steps although this isn’t a problem for me with 2 very active dogs! And agree that MyFitnessPal is excellent if you use it that is! Definitely breakfast for me, and I find it easier to not eat so much in the evening, but we’ll see on 800 calories – I might feel differently after the first few days!I look forward to hearing how everyone does in their first week. Good luck to us all!!

• posted by seksta139
    on

Ren65-you are singing my song. I am also 52 and desperate to lose 3 stone put on in a very sedentary job. Starting today -day 1 was a charm and even walked 10000. Roll on day 2 and roll off weight

Good luck to all

• posted by Ren65
    on

How is everyone getting on? I’m on day 4 and feeling good! I think I’m over the worst of the carb flu I was so tired going to bed early but getting up a few times through the night hopefully it’s a lot of fat that’s flushing out! My work trousers are definitely looser and I feel my head is so much clearer! I can’t say I’m hungry but my appetite is sharper like I know when I’m thirsty rather than hungry and food tastes different somehow I can taste the spices or know when I need salt! Weird! Looking forward to weigh in day hopefully with a good result! We can do this!x

• posted by greenjanet
    on

Hi all I’m on day 5 can’t say I had any carb flu, and have lost 2 kilo so far, lots of weeing which I’m informed is the whoosh effect. Okay but glad it’s passed, had a carb attack yesterday evening, they just attacked me and unfortunately my mouth was open, so have weighed and put on .3 kilo but hanging on to the 2 kilo loss.
    I have a lot to loose 49 kilos, so in it for the long haul, so will be keeping my mouth shut on Friday evenings, as I’m always at a social event where we have food.
    Weekends are always hard for me, how about you guys have you got a plan.
    Hope it goes well, weigh day Monday for me how about you.
    πŸ™‹πŸ˜€πŸ™‹jan

• posted by Storm333
    on

Day 3 for me and have struggled a bit with my calories each day being more like 1000 but will cut down gradually to 800. Lots of water loss here too still -very inconvenient at work!! Looking forward to weekend as there are always lots of cakes at work which makes things harder. Actually I do feel a lot better overall and am still determined to succeed this time. Weigh in on Thursday so hoping for a downward shift! Good luck fit the weekend all!!

• posted by Angie TW
    on

Hi everyone I am starting on Monday. Do you have any tips for my shopping list regarding the foods I will need to purchase to get started?

• posted by MaisieMouse
    on

Hi everyone, I also started on the 16th May so I hope you don’t mind me joining you here.
    How are you all getting on?
    I must say I have been feeling more energetic, and strangely not hungry (hardly ever!) right since the beginning which is terrific.
    I started this because I need to lose a couple of stones and change my lifestyle habits… there’s no problem with my blood sugar now but I could see diabetes looming in my future if I kept on going that way…
    And somehow I just know that this way of eating is what my body would choose (if I didn’t keep overriding it with cheap sugary carbs), does that make sense?
    I also got a Fitbit a couple of months ago and have really upped my walking, achieving 10,000 steps most days.
    Last week I was over-the-moon watching the pounds dropping off – 7lbs! I’ve never had anything like it before!
    But this week there is no budge at all on the scales. But I do feel a lot slimmer around the waist. I wish I had taken measurements at the beginning but I didn’t. I still feel motivated at the moment just because I feel so much lighter, but I worry that if this plateau continues for another week I might start the sort of defeatist thinking which leads me straight to a toasted muffin with strawberry jam!

• posted by greenjanet
    on

Hi Maisie

Surely a muffin doesn’t taste nicer than loosing the pounds, or does it
    I’m choosing weight loss how about youπŸ˜€πŸ™‹πŸ˜€

• posted by MaisieMouse
    on

Ha! No, you’re quite right greenjanet! It’s when that number on the scales sticks and sticks and you’re not losing weight and you start to wonder if it’s worthwhile……
    Hopefully my lbs will start shedding again soon, I’m still sticking to it and walking lots and drinking lots πŸ™‚

• posted by Storm333
    on

Hi all. Excellent comment about choosing weight loss greenjanet! I shall try to remember that one next time I get tempted! And well done for losing 7lbs Maisie! Impressed! See it as 7lbs over 3weeks which sounds pretty good. I lost 4lbs in my first week and I’m pleased with that considering I couldn’t resist a glass of wine to celebrate half term(I’m a teacher!). Also I’ve been going over 800 most days although still eating the right things (apart from the wine….) Back on the straight and narrow today and still determined to do this. Good luck all for the weekend πŸ˜€

• posted by Leeleecheechee
    on

Hi all

This has been a revelation for me!

For a bit of background, I am 42 with a history of T2 in the family and have battled with my weight since I was a child. I could see the writing on the wall for me, especially as I carry a lot of excess weight.

I was almost resigned to it, when I “gave up” dieting around 3 years ago. Since then I have lost four stone (15 st 7 to 11st 13) and thought I was doing well. I didn’t realise I had a ticking time bomb round my middle.

I’ve been having tingling in my feet for about a year with chronic fatigue and despite knowing in my heart what it was, I buried my head in the sand and did nothing. Eventually I asked the gp for a glucose test and last week it came back at 14! Gp will be retesting on 8th June but I immediately came home, bought a glucose tester and found this diet.

I started it on Monday with a fasting bs of 14.3. I haven’t quite kept to 800 calories a day and totally cocked up with my carbs (thinking I was ok with couscous etc. Trust me for jumping in and not reading properly) but have at least cut out simple carbs and for a white bread, potato and rice fiend like me it has been hard. Yes, I’ve had headaches, light headed moments and been tired. Goodness knows what I will be like when I get my carb levels right as I go through full withdrawal.

Today I woke up with a burst of energy (considering I’m usually quite the sloth at the weekend this was amazing) I’m also sleeping better after years of insomnia. I’m also enjoying the food. Forcing myself to try new things and surprisingly enjoying it! Have to say boiled egg has been a saviour for me!

Today my fasting bs was 11.1. Still way too high, but a real motivation to keep going. It’s going in the right direction at least.

I really think this is a lifestyle I will be able to maintain. It’s going to take a lot of planning in the early days but what better reason to do it.

Good Luck to all of us starting or on this journey. I think I have become an evangelist…

• posted by MaisieMouse
    on

Thanks Storm and Green janet! At the end of the week another 1lb has gone and this morning my hubby noticed I am looking slimmer so that was a morale boost!

Good luck for the bank holiday and half term everyone… especially if you’re going away/out with family!

I feel like an evangelist as well Leeleecheechee! A diet bore?

Today we’re having 12 – 14 for a BBQ and I’m sticking to chicken kebabs, salad and coleslaw and pesto courgetti. Maybe some berries and greek yoghurt too. Hey it’s the weekend! Live a little!

But I don’t want to take even one single crisp because if I do I’ll have to log it in my Fitbit app… wish me luck!

on

Hi Maisiemouse and all

Hope the BBQ went well and it stayed dry for you. Did you stick to your plan?

Hope the bank holiday has been kind to the rest of you. Its tough being out of routine and in a strange way I’m almost looking forward to returning to work!

Sunday I went out to breakfast at our local garden centre. They do amazing breakfasts and it’s a monthly tradition. I won’t even mention the cakes they do! It was my second real social challenge of the week ( pub on Friday night where I drowned in sparkling and soda water!)

Amazingly I managed to walk past the delicious French bread and settled on two fried eggs, one sausage and mushrooms with a peppermint tea. I didn’t feel I was missing out at all and calorie wise actually not to bad at around 350. Better yet no carbs. For the first day this week I managed to get under 50g, so well chuffed.

So now for week one results. With a goal of losing 25 lbs I expect my loss to be slow. For me though the real goal is fasting blood sugars. I’m desperate to avoid progression and medication.

Week 1
    Starting weight 11st 13
    Today 11st 11
    Starting fbs 14.3
    Today fbs 9.7

I will happily take that. Have a great week everyone xx

• posted by MaisieMouse
    on

Well done Leeleecheechee, it’s so nice to still eat out and really glad that you didn’t feel deprived!

BBQ went really well, weather was so nice they all ended up staying til 10.30pm (from a lunchtime BBQ)!

I stuck to my intentions of what I would eat, and I only drank water, and I even got all the girls out for a walk, so I feel very virtuous this morning and the scales have rewarded me with a half pound loss!

I actually look at a big plateful now and think I couldn’t possibly eat all that because I’m getting used to smaller portions.

So far, so good with the bank holiday weekend! X

on

Funny I couldn’t eat all my dinner last night. It just seemed massive! It was garlic and parsley prawns with red and green peppers and cucumber. Simple but I’m trying not to spend too much time in the kitchen. Had to “make up” my calories with a babybel and yoghurt before bed!

Who am I? I don’t recognise this behaviour at all… 😁

• posted by MaisieMouse
    on

Mmm… garlic and parsley prawns… having a family roast dinner here tonight so I’ll have the chicken and veg and none of the trimmings!

Amazing that you had to make up your calories before bed… that takes some doing! πŸ™‚

Got a bit stressed at lunchtime… walking around a local town with my hubby looking for somewhere to eat … usual place (where I’d planned to have an omelette) was closed for the bank holiday… checked out so many menus hoping to see something other than jacket potatoes, sandwiches and paninis!! I could tell he was getting sick of walking from place to place… luckily we hit on a little deli just as things were about to turn very grumpy and I had all but lost what little appetite I had by then! So I had a small bowl of salad with beetroot humous… very pretty little salad with seeds…
    And the plus side is they served a very nice coffee too… not to mention all the extra steps! Ha!

on

Hey well done on the perseverance! It’s those kind of occasions that often derail me and I will think, sod it, I’ll just have a panini. Mmm panini! The salad sounds lush though.

Just getting ready for work. Lunch all packed ( left over garlic and parsley prawns with some cashews, peppers, tomatoes and mushrooms) Can”t believe how the quality of my food has changed in just a week.

Loving the forums for tips. I sit with my shopping list and add ideas. Thanks everyone!

Have a great day x

on

Hi
    Just wondered if anyone is still around?
    Hope no one is struggling? Big hugs if you are.
    L xx

• posted by Storm333
    on

Hi. I’m still here! Thad for the lively post Leeleecheechee! Struggling a bit this week with a week off. I’ve come to a compromise for just this week and am doing the Med diet without counting and its going ok. I’m managing not to give up completely and binge on bread and wine which was about to happen over the weekend when I tried the fasting 800 cals whilst on holiday . Back to 800 cals next week! Don’t expect to lose anything but want to maintain at least. Hope everyone else is doing ok x

• posted by Angie TW
    on

Im still here too. Had portobello ‘toast’ with feta, pine nuts and baby tomatoes for lunch which is really filling and I recommend it. The recipe is in the acyual diet book at the back πŸ™‚

on

Hi storm

I had to leave work at 4pm Tuesday with an excruciating headache and blurred vision. The words on the screen were literally jumping. I was the same yesterday, so have decided to take the rest of the week to power through this!

I went to the co-op this morning and the smell of fresh bread was excruciating but I managed to come away with carrots and water as planned. I guess it’s an education how addicted I am.

One thing for sure, I’m not going to cheat. Not because I have iron willpower or anything like it! I just can’t face going through this twice πŸ˜‡

I think you are doing the right thing going Mediterranean to help. At least you are making informed choices. We are not machines! I wouldn’t have dreamed of starting this while on holiday, so hats 🎩 off to you!
    L x

• posted by Angie TW
    on

Keep on in there everyone – we CAN do it xx

• posted by Angie TW
    on

I have just seen a work colleague, whi I haven’t seen for a while, and he said “have you lost weight?”
    I love him!!

on

How lovely for you Angie,

I’ve just had the craziest internal battle with myself. I felt unwell, like I really “needed” to eat. Was even thinking about switching my evening meal to lentil cottage pie (54g of carbohydrates!!)

One boiled egg later and normal service resumed. Phew!

• posted by Angie TW
    on

Well done Leelechelee I am very proud of you xx

on

So, weigh day today and 2lbs off. Obviously it’s going to be slow and steady for me. Happy with that though. Another 9lbs and I will hit the top of the β€œnormal” range.
    Considering it’s that time of the month and I’m managing without the chocolate crutch, im relatively pleased.
    Hope everyone has a great weekend. Wish me luck with my lunch out 😳

• posted by MaisieMouse
    on

Good luck with lunch Leelee! I’m also eating lunch out today and will be hoping for an omelette!
    Where would I be without mushrooms and eggs?! πŸ˜„
    I’m coming up to the end of week 3 and still going well, really determined to do the whole 8 weeks even though I’ll be away from home a lot after week 4.
    Will be so great to be in the ‘normal’ range once again won’t it? I am logging my weight on the Fitbit app and there is a BMI chart and I love watching this line veering downwards… was touching on the very top of overweight band when I started and is now slap bang in the centre of overweight- yay for that!

on

Hi Maisie

So, it looks like lunch is cancelled. It’s derby day (I live in Epsom) and sensible locals tend to stay off the roads today as they are mental! We hadn’t thought when we planned!

Have to completely rethink my food for the day now after planning the restaurant so carefully! Fortunately, weekly food delivery has arrived so plenty to chose from. No doubt I will end up with an omelette too though!

Yay for your downward graph. Visual representation is so motivating isn’t it? Xx

• posted by Angie TW
    on

I need some help please. I have just started using my fitness pal to team up with my Garmin.
    Its asking how much protein, carb and fat I want to eat every day and the percentages have to add up to 100%. So does anyone know what each individual one should be please?

on

Hi Angie

I was foxed by this too. It seems that the golden rule is less than 50g of carbs.

I’ve set my goals at
    Carbs 40g 20%
    Protein 60g 30%
    Fat 44g 50 %

I think mine is too high on fat and I’m sure I saw some posts on this when I was trawling the forum, so I’m going to look again now and will let you know what I find!

• posted by Angie TW
    on

Thank you and for getting back to me so fast. Really appreciate it.

on

Apparently mine are ok. Some go as high as 55% fat. For women we need 50-60g of protein apparently. So, I’m going to stick with what I have set for now.
    It’s a really helpful app when you get used to it. X

• posted by Angie TW
    on

Thank you and enjoy your Saturday

Please log in or register to post a reply.