Starting this week – excited but nervous

We have not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you are have any health related symptoms or concerns, you should contact your doctor who will be able to give you advice specific to your situation.

• posted by carina62
    on

i’ve made the decision to start this as after 7 years of diabetes I want to (hopefully) reverse this awful disease. I have 10 weeks before I go on holiday to Crete so want to lose as much weight as I can before then. My question is on the Fast Days, do you have breakfast and then not eat until the evening and in total have calories totalling 800 rather than 600 recommended on the normal 5:2 diet ?

• posted by Switzerland
    on

Hi carina62,
    You’ve made a great decision. On the Fast days it’s up to you how you want to divide the 800 calories. There are definitely benefits to extending the time between eating.
    If you’re doing the BSD 5:2 you consume 800 calories on your fast days.
    The ‘Eight Week Blood Sugar Diet’ book explains the 3 choices surrounding food. If you haven’t read it, it’s well worth the investment.
    The 10 weeks you have before holidays is more than adequate to establish the BSD lifestyle – it will make it easier for you to choose BSD style foods when you’re in Crete.
    Welcome to the forums and best wishes for your BSD journey.

• posted by Switzerland
    on

Oh, I meant to add for you to look at captainlynne’s 23 weeks and after thread – she’s recently been on holidays and had positive outcomes.

• posted by Timmy
    on

I’ve tried two different approaches on the fast days. One was to split the meals into 3, so I had 3 x 250 cal meals per day. I didn’t get on very well with these if I’m honest. The next week I had brunch then tea, both around 400 cal.

This suited me much better. And because I was having brunch at about 11.30/12 having not eaten since 7 pm the nigh before, it mean that I was squeezing in a 15 hour fast overnight. Up until now I’ve done back to back fast days and that’s been fine, but this week I’m splitting them mainly because of work schedules.

• posted by carina62
    on

I am quite happy to skip lunch, will it be OK (in your opinions) if I have a small breakfast ie boiled or poached egg with something (what can I have with it?) and then just drink water until my main meal in the evening and have the rest of my calories then do you think? I’ve made some homemade curries and chilli con carne as a batch and frozen them. I would have cauli rice with my curries and chilli con carne. Please let me know your thoughts on what to have on the Fast Days as I am new to this and learning. Thanks

Please log in or register to post a reply.