Starting Monday 29th August. Anyone want to join me

We have not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you are have any health related symptoms or concerns, you should contact your doctor who will be able to give you advice specific to your situation.

• posted by Snoop
    on

20p a loaf! That’s just crying out to be bought. Better not get into breadmaking techniques otherwise I’m done for. I’m baking a loaf for friends even as I write.
    Have moved half a tonne of almond logs this morning. Didn’t involve much more than picking them up and lobbing them a few metres further along. Some of them were pretty heavy (still green). Felt a bit like I was in one of those films where prisoners are given hard labour of moving rocks to a different pile just for the sake of it. But it was a useful job to do, plus a bit of exercise. Other half to do tomorrow.
    Must find my pedometer. I don’t move very much at all (very sedentary job as a translator, so sitting at a keyboard all the time). Just having it in my pocket shamed me into shifting out of my chair more often. Dogs would be glad of more walks too.

• posted by AuroraMagic
    on

Hi KazzUK – Yep agreed buying online can help what you buy as well as how much one spends ! 😀
    Snoop – Yeah I miss bread a bit … from time to time but I think I’m lucky not to miss it too much. I know having had a few ‘treats’ over xmas just how ‘totally committed’ (which I have been until then) has to really be! Quite horrifying really. But Maybe as time rolls on and I can introduce other ingredients maybe that’ll help the variety.
    I’m terrible for prepping and cooking the same kind of things. I think I’m an ‘easy going’ ‘cook’!
    Bread thank god is therefor too much of an effort to bother to cook and esp for one! (Some blessing at least!) 🙂
    I’ve watched other people loose weight on some of the current diet programs on TV and it does make you wonder if there can be more food added and still lose but most of those people are doing it only for a very short (almost trial) period.
    And I need something neigh for life.
    I’m back on track now with being totally good. Even started a little excerise now (& finally – after Ops) and doing OK. very small and gentle but that’s fine. 🙂
    I know too that excerising will add muscle and so the weight will add up a little for a while. But as long as the shape improves and more fat is shed I’ll be really happy!!
    Tell you what though I had a friend tell me that I looked gaunt. That was a bit of a shock. Made me think that perhaps he’s so used to seeing me and people generally all overweight are we forgetting what a slim figure looks like? I feel OK. 🙂 Maybe he just likes a more rounded face ? ! Who knows!
    Going through menopause so things are ‘hot & cold’ etc! 😀
    Anyone else had that ?

• posted by Snoop
    on

Hi AuroraMagic, so long as you feel OK and you haven’t been dieting so much you’ve overshot your target by a huge amount and are now suffering from an eating disorder, then you probably are OK. Are you under any GP supervision on this diet? I’m not, but I’m not diabetic.
    I agree about people not knowing what a slim figure looks like. My mum got all het up about all the portion size information in the media in the UK the other day. But I had to remind her that her two nephews need that advice, and she had to agree. Even if you make a sensible choice in a pub or restaurant, you’re defeated by the size of the plateful of food unless you’re really strong-willed.
    My problem with bread is that I catch myself wondering whether I could swap out a plate of more sensible food for just a piece of bread and butter. Lethal mind games…

• posted by 54andfatnomore
    on

Step away from the breadbin !!!!!

• posted by AuroraMagic
    on

Hi snoop
    Thanks for the support. No not under aby Dr for it. They don’t care nor know what to do or say anyway!
    Yeah, I’m not diabetic either. I’ve got high cholesterol, but it’s Family Inherited… so it seems that no one really ‘knows how bad’ it may, or may not be!
    I’ve still got 9lbs to loose but it’s proving stubborn & I have noticed that I do seem more ‘hungry’!
    I can see my shape improvement! Yeeaayy! So so pleased!
    Funnily enough tonight I came across many ‘fat piccy’s’ I’ve taken over many years. There to motivate me to lose weight… as I’ve tried a few diets… but failed overall. I’d lose a bit but it’d get put back on. Usual failing story!!
    .. The extra food I ‘allow’ myself are all ‘approved’ e.g. yoghurt with a little (30g) fruit / nuts/ seeds / humous & peppers etc.
    However I am beginning to physically do more (as my ankle heals) so maybe just that!
    Our bodies are so complex! 😀
    Totally agree – avoid the bread bin.
    But I have seen ‘thin crisp type’ bread/cracker substitute recipes ! Do they help?
    (I’ve no plans to try them!)

• posted by Snoop
    on

Morning, guys. Avoiding the bread bin sounds like a good plan! I’ve not tried the cracker recipes. I know a lot of people like them though.
    Sorry to hear about your inherited cholesterol problem, AuroraMagic. Any solutions?
    Have walked the dogs this morning and lobbed some more logs. Not many left to shift. Did a little bit of digging just to see what the ground’s like. Had tremendous rains a few weeks back and the ground is still to wet to dig satisfactorily. Sadly, the weeds know that spring is around the corner and obviously think conditions are perfect. About to start work. Mustn’t complain. At least I have work.
    Have a great day.

on

Hi Snoop

Yes I have stepped away from the breadbin and am trying for my first day without bread for ages. (Garden birds now merrily pecking at todays supply!!)

Beaten by the ice and snow last night so no ‘swim’ but hopefully back on schedule tonight.

Strickly following the diet plan (again) as I find doing exctly what it says (within reason) works, so its white fish and stuff for me (and the family) tonight

I dont have a medical problem or diabetes just lots of weight to get back off. The diet also helped my ‘bad’ eye so Im keen to see if this will continue.

Made some very unhealthy biscuits yesterday and gave them all to my daughter who wolfed EVERY SINGLE ONE up !! Lucky me!

I too have a job at home where I stare at a computer all day (I write business plans for start up companies) so need that swim !! (I dont have any logs to toss about)

Thin crisp type crackers (should there be such a thing !!) Sound good for getting the fire started.
    Yes Kazz. an online shop beats going to the shop for ‘very thin crackers’ and coming out with cake.
    Keep Plugging away Aurora

Keep it up everyone (and you snoop, keep me up with my daily ‘log news’)

• posted by AuroraMagic
    on

Hi snoop & 54 & all,
    Yeah it really has to be a way of life for me!
    No matter how much I want sugar or other products I must just refrain totally.
    I too like keeping to ‘the diet’ 7 days as it’s just easier. But yeah I take the protein (prawns last night) & add veg/salad. Or the odd meal of just veg.
    On wk 4 this wk so 2 poached eggs & salmon portion. I pre-portion food before freezing. That helps! 🙂
    No solutions to inherited high cholesterol. But they don’t know ‘how’ or ‘if’ it’s really bad. They just thinkbthst it probably is. They know generally our cholesterol climbs anyway as we agr anyway.
    I’m trying to learn Drupal to restart my biz so I’m sitting around to. Although doing tax return at the moment I can find a surprising amount of ‘things to do’ !! 🙂
    Yep. I weighed myself but scale adjuster got moved so I think I’m heavier than I was (still) before xmas! But I’ll get there. Just dogged persistence!
    Something else occurred to me yesterday… once I get to my ‘right weight’ (8.5st) As my shape/ weight, work on different timescales (some call it plateau-ing weight-wise) I think it’ll be best to drop below that, before I can think I’m ‘there’.
    Can anyone verify they’ve found that too?
    I’ll look up the bread suggested options ! 🙂

• posted by Snoop
    on

Hi Aurora,
    I know there’s a lot of controversy about statins. No idea if the pros might outweigh the cons in your case.
    I know from reading other threads that a lot of people leave themselves ‘wiggle room’ when they reach their target, meaning they undershoot a bit so that they can give themselves a bit of leeway on special occasions. A fair few people have also found that they continue to lose weight. I have no personal insights to offer, I’m afraid. Wish I did, as that would mean I weighed a lot less than I do now!

• posted by Snoop
    on

All almond logs now shifted. Some more to be chain-sawed (not by me), possibly next week some time. So that’ll give me more work, though these ones will be dry so will need not just shifting but also stacking for use this year. Snow due next week.
    Not much other news. Scales showing a small drop. So that’s quite cheering. And it’s the last day of the week, so that’s quite cheering too.

• posted by AuroraMagic
    on

Hi Snoop
    I did add the bread recipes but they seem to have vanished -I’ll try again! 🙂
    Yeah the Statins make me feel far too vague and there are way too many reports of vagueness by many others too … plus other reports on them being ‘worse than the problem they are there to solve’, so that plus it being highly questionable for them to make any difference to family inherited issues too – makes me happy to try to just eat right and get my weight right and re-assess when I go (eventually!) to the cardio chaps and see what they have to say on it all. That dept of the nhs is also meant to have very good dieticians too so they might add some input! 😀 (I’m sure) ! 😀
    All sounds good snoop. Log lugging is no joke! I’ve a huge Willow tree to start cutting as it’s now mostly on the ground – but still living! But it (mostly) needs to be turned into planks of wood! Wish I have a log cutter – like the one’s you see many Canadians / Alaskans use who live out in the sticks! 😀
    No doubt some local saw mill will want to try and charge a small fortune! So it can wait! 🙂
    Yep to Friday! 😀

on

ok so no bread today (Yipee, thats 2 days)

I find best just do NO bread rather than bread thats not quite bread or bread with the bread taken out

Talking of things being taken out, is anyone a big fan of QUORN ?

Its changed a lot in the many years since it first came out BUT is it worth it… meat with the meat taken out !!

Still no swim due to Ice this time !!

and it snowed so i think a big bath is due (Is that exercise? I hope so !!)

• posted by AuroraMagic
    on

Hi 54
    Yeah I have just gone without bread. Once in a blue moon I miss it but I can live without it – thankfully!
    I have had Quorn and it was ‘ok’ but I try to have good unprocessed good in it’s simplist form. I see it as processed ‘something’ so just avoid it. And if I want meat then I’ll just have it – or fish – cheese etc! I try to have a one day veg / cheese day a week – although it’s in the menu anyway! 😀
    Yeah icy and very cold here – managed a 6m cycle ride today so delighted with that. (My R ankle complains but it’s coping and I’m trying to be nice to it! Sadly physio was useless – not the usual person) !
    No sure a bath is as good as swimming but sounds good anyway ! 😀

• posted by AuroraMagic
    on

Bread Recipes ….
    Page Flatbreads & Breads
    180 “Breads and flatbread
    There are now so many different flours available
    – not just wheat and rye, but also nut varieties, such as coconut, almond or chestnut
    – that making a choice can be daunting.
    The flours come in different degrees of ‘refinement’, from coarsely chopped, to ground, to fully refined.
    This affects how much fibre remains in them and whether the healthy oils and nutrients have been removed or not.

The amount of processing will also determine whether they are low or high GI and how great a sugar spike they cause.
    If you are used to standard processed wheat flour you will find that nut flours behave differently when used for baking.
    Some absorb lots of fluid, some have a grainy texture and, to make things even more complicated, the proportions of flour to liquid required are often not quite equivalent.
    Stick closely to the recipes, and you will be fine! ”

180 Wholegrain soda bread
    According to Elizabeth David, ‘Everyone who cooks should know how to make a loaf of soda bread.’ It really is easy.
    It doesn’t require yeast, or kneading or time to rise.
    Makes 12 slices (cals are per slice)

325g wholemeal flour
    75g wholemeal spelt flour
    2 tbsp rolled oats
    2 tsp bicarbonate of soda
    1/2 tsp salt
    2 tbsp pumpkin seeds, plus extra for sprinkling
    2 tbsp sunflower seeds, plus extra for sprinkling
    75g walnuts, chopped
    325ml buttermilk
    3-4 tbsp milk
    1 tbsp olive oil

Preheat the oven to 230C. Place the flours, oats, bicarbonate of soda and salt in a mixing bowl with the seeds and walnuts.
    Stir in the buttermilk. Mix gently to make a soft dough, adding the milk gradually.
    Shape the dough on a floured surface and place it in an oiled 900g loaf tin.
    Alternatively, shape it into a flattened ball and cut a cross into the surface for a more traditional shape.
    Scatter the rest of the seeds over the work surface and roll the loaf over them so they stick to it.
    Bake the loaf in the oven for 10 minutes, then reduce the temperature to 2000C and bake it for a further 20-30 minutes, until it is golden and firm.

TIP: we suggest you slice any bread you don’t eat and keep it in a bag in the freezer.
    Cooling the bread will also convert some of the starchy carbohydrate in it into more fibrous ‘resistant starch’ which has less impact on blood sugar (note — only some of the starch!).
    • CALORIES 210
    • PROTEIN 7G
    • FAT 8G
    • FIBRE 3G
    • CARBS 29G

• posted by AuroraMagic
    on

181 Seeded spelt and rye bread
    Spelt or hulled wheat, cultivated since 500 BC, is a hardier and more nutritious cousin of modern wheat and has a sweetish, slightly nutty taste.
    This bread, adapted from a lovely recipe by JPS Cloud on the website, is easy to make, particularly in a breadmaker.
    You can adjust the proportions of the flour – just note that the more rye you add, the less it rises.

Makes 12 slices (cals are per slice)
    400g stoneground spelt flour
    120g stoneground rye flour
    1 1/2 tsp salt
    2 tsp yeast
    3 tbsp seeds of your choice: we suggest :
    – 1 tbsp poppy (these are small and don’t overwhelm the bread),
    – 1 tbsp sunflower and
    – 1 tbsp linseeds or pumpkin
    430ml lukewarm water
    2 tbsp olive oil (or 40g butter)
    1 tbsp honey

Put all the ingredients in the breadmaker tin and set as a ‘large’ loaf on the wholemeal cycle (takes 4-5 hours, depending on the breadmaker). Easy.

Or you can bake it in the oven, preheated to 200C
    Put the flour, salt, seeds and yeast in a large bowl and mix them together. Then gradually stir in the lukewarm water along with the oil and the honey to form a dough.
    Use your hands to finish mixing it. There should be none left sticking to the bowl.
    Transfer the dough to a flat surface scattered lightly with flour and knead it for 5 minutes, until it no longer feels sticky. Add more flour as needed.
    Oil the loaf tin and fold the dough into a shape that fits inside it, pressing it in evenly.
    Put it in a large plastic food bag and leave it to rise for 2 hours (until the dough no longer springs back when you press it with your finger).
    Then remove it from the bag and place it in an oven preheated to 200C.
    Remove the tin after about 35-40 minutes. It should have risen and turned golden brown. Tip the bread out onto the baking tray. It should sound hollow when you tap it.
    If you like crisp crusts, put it back in the oven for 5 more minutes.

Tip: kneading bread should be a bit of an upper body workout as you need to repeatedly stretch the dough by pushing it away from you with the base of your hand, then fold it onto itself and repeat, for at least 5 minutes.
    • CALORIES 180
    • PROTEIN 5G
    • FAT 5G
    • FIBRE 4G
    • CARBS 30G

• posted by AuroraMagic
    on

183 Chickpea flatbread
    Many of my Asian patients with blood sugar problems tell me that they struggle to replace flatbreads or chapattis in their diet.
    Unfortunately, most shop-bought flatbreads these days are made of highly refined wheat flour, whereas in India they are traditionally made with wholemeal chickpea flour, which is relatively lower in carbohydrate and high in protein and fibre. It is also gluten-free. This is what we have used here. Chickpea flour can be found online and in most health food shops and Asian supermarkets. This is
    adapted from an excellent recipe posted online by Ingenue.
    Makes 8
    250g chickpea flour (also known as gram flour or besan)
    Water (enough to make a thin batter)
    Pinch of salt
    Seasoning: we use pinches of chilli flakes, pepper and onion powder, and either rosemary or caraway seeds.
    1 tbsp coconut or olive oil

Put the chickpea flour in a bowl and add enough water to make a thin pancake batter, whisking well as you go.
    Add the salt and seasoning, and then leave it to stand for 2-3 hours.
    When you are ready to use it, whisk in the oil. Put a frying pan on a medium-high heat.
    If the pan is not non-stick, lightly brush it with olive oil. Swirl the batter into the pan and cook it until it is brown and crisp, turning once.

Tip: these can also be used as pizza bases, or as wraps to fill with salad, tuna and mayonnaise or other healthy choices. They freeze well.
    • CALORIES 110
    • PROTEIN 6G
    • FAT 3G
    • FIBRE 3G
    • CARBS 16G

• posted by AuroraMagic
    on

OK I now definitely KNOW that I posted the Bread Recipies and they had Definitely been removed! Why PLEASE?
    I’m not claiming to have written them nor making any profit from it.
    There’s no copyright issue as this IS the forum to discuss the Low Blood Sugar Diet et al!?
    So why have they been removed and by whom please?
    I’m just trying to help people! 🙁 Most disappointed. Perhaps Dr MM IS all about the money and NOT habout helping ppl – just when I’ve been thinking of buy a ticket too about his theatre shows… even been wondering about a VIP ticket but it doesn’t look like you’ll even meet him.
    Maybe I won’t waste my precioius money! 🙁 I’d say ‘gutted’ but that’s too much of a pun.

on

Hia Aurora

Thanks forposting the recipies.. Sour dough seems like a starter for 10 for me

Yes I agree on the quorn. Im looking to avoid ‘processed stuff’ but rest of famility interested in quorn,, so im on the look out. (Quorn sausages got a rather harsh 2 out of 10 this morning)
    My menu said Avacado , not my favourite and I’ve never found anything similar !!

Looking forward to my ‘two thin seeded crackers’ at lunch time !! sounds great

• posted by Snoop
    on

As I understand it Aurora, copying detailed recipe instructions and other info (not just the list of ingredients and bare outline of preparation method) breaches the original author’s copyright, even if you acknowledge the source. So the forum is potentially liable in the event of legal action. To be on the safe side, they probably delete them automatically. From your postings and the numbers given, it looks like you’ve posted recipes wholesale, which would instantly set off mods’ alarm bells.
    I found this at https://paleoflourish.com/recipe-copyright/:
    “Basically, anything that is more than the list of ingredients and the directions is likely able to be copyrighted to some degree.
    As a recipe/cooking blogger, you won’t run afoul of any copyright laws if you copy a recipe from somewhere else, as long as what you copied was no more than the list of ingredients and the bare directions. This makes sense – after all, how many ways of saying “2 teaspoons of salt” or “preheat the oven to 350F” are there?
    However, any additional language someone has in the recipe (perhaps explaining what coconut flour is or saying that they love chocolate and so they always add a bit more chocolate chips into the cookie) may be copyrightable. If you’re going to copy a recipe, don’t copy those bits, and add in your own flair.”

I’ve never tried quorn. The only way I could get it here is online, and as the only place that would take a delivery for me is the petrol station about six miles away – and they’re already fed up with my seed and other gardening orders – I’ve got a good excuse!
    No other news. Slow start to the day, another tiny drop. But if I had that every day, I’d be happy!

• posted by AuroraMagic
    on

Thanks 54 & Snoop.
    OK I’ll try to do the bare min if anyone else wants them.
    I think I’d try using butternut squash / butter beans as an avocado substitute from other recipies and their suggestions ?
    After all they are managing to make cake from using kidney beans! 🙂
    Some people seem to like the Quorn from Lidl?
    Why not just buy meat from direct farmstores or really good butchers. But not serve much if you’re trying to cut back ? Or is the qourn meant to be instead of meat?
    I see 2 sausages are the ‘corect portion’ amount. 🙂 I tend not to other with them and go for cut up meat or minced and shape to suit my creative mood! 😀

on

yes snoop, especially if it was a ‘drop’ of Gin or whisky !! (please incert favourite alcoholic beverage as required)

on

Thanks Aurora

‘Family’ are doing VEGGY thing, hence quorn

I am not sure about butternut squash for breakfast !!

DG

• posted by Snoop
    on

Is tofu an option, 54? There are all kinds of blogs online that give tips on how to get it crunchy. You can get vegetarian bacon and sausages, but they seem to get mixed reviews and are ridiculously expensive for what they are.
    I tend not to have breakfast. But if I did, at this time of year I’d probably go for vegetable soup.
    As for the drop of the hard stuff, I’ve been quite good recently. Haven’t had any alcohol for two weeks now. Most unlike me!

• posted by AuroraMagic
    on

Well when I got to this topic it said that I’ve been ‘unsubscribed from this topic’! God all I tried to do was to help!
    However it does seem to have let me post!
    For a fleeting moment all I wanted was cake! 🙁 Being menopausal and doing tax is never any good combination – but to be potentially punished for helping (all be it ‘too’ much’) – however I can now see the bread recipes? Can others see them or is it just me.. ? (Still I mean) ?
    I need a choc horlicks to chill out. But I’ll plug for ‘another cuppa tea & nuts! 😀

• posted by AuroraMagic
    on

Thanks Snoop for that copyright link. V interesting.
    I’ll add here that I would change the posts (that I now cannot edit) to the mere ingriedents and construction.
    But I cannot change it. They are from Dr M Mosley’s Low Blood Sugar Diet book and the page numbers are listed at the top of each post to help credit him and his recipies.
    Hope that helps to explain to ‘everyone’ of my intention (to help show people that Dr MM had come up with bread alternatives and I included them above to help people). As I cannot change the posts adn would if I could, I hope this will cover me legally. 🙂

• posted by Snoop
    on

Fret not, Aurora. Your good intentions are evident. I can’t see you being legally liable for anything. In these situations, forums deal with any problem, if there is one. If you’re really worried, you could report your post to the forum admin and explain. I don’t know any of forum staff personally, but I have reported posts from spammers in the past and they’re friendly folk. They’re sure to understand.
    Do you ever drink herbal teas? Me, I love camomile and linden infusions.

• posted by AuroraMagic
    on

Hi Snoop
    I’ve been trying to have flavoured teas…
    All previous attempts failed but recently I’ve found a few selected one’s like a spiced apple & cinnamon one was v nice.
    Re silly recipies – yeah I’m sure it’ll be fine! If there is any complaint then the posts can merely be deleted.
    Thanks for the support. 🙂

on

I love a flavoured tea and am a great ‘raspberry’ fan. However they tend to come in a ‘raspberry + spmething else’ format which perhaps is not just as good

Hoever I am a great coffee fan also

Tofu snoop sounds as bad as i think it just might be!!

However, ill give it a try next time a see some

I was out for birthday meal yesterday and managed to

a) NOT eat the bread on the table (Its a win)
    b) Order a ceasar salad without the bacon or croutons and asked for the dressing ‘on the side’ so i could just have a bit. (I thought of going without the chicken but thought ‘lettuce ‘ as a meal was not very celebratory !!
    c) Not have a dessert of any kind (Gosh)
    d) stick with sparkling water and not gin / wine !! (I said i would drive)
    e) managed not to want my partners tapas or daughters birthday ‘hanging kebab’ and cocktails !!

Back to the book today

(Still no swim !!)

ps Aurora Forget the recipie publication nonsense. YOU HAVE DONE NOTHING WRONG

on

Still no swim !!

Was worried about a social / networking meeting i had been invited to as it included food at 6.30

BUT turned out it was soup evening with healthy soup so all was well !!

(No roll on offer so bonus !!)

• posted by AuroraMagic
    on

Hi 54andfatnomore
    Sound like you are doing perhaps better than you need to !!
    Well Done!
    Although may of the recipes have a bacon salad and a chicken salad, you do need protein! 🙂 And veg and a whole variety of things!
    Funnily enough I’ve been thinking just today that I ought to try more of the recipes! 🙂
    Some I’ve tried are really good and tasty. But I had a sardine salad for lunch today which was very tasty (had it several times)! 😀
    And for dinner fish is on the menu so had that with steamed veg and tried some (Butternut) Squash for the first time (that I am aware of) added some prapika/ lemon and dill, and a little cinnamon onto it ! Delicous!
    All very yummy ! 😀 I’ve taken pictures of almost every single meal too…

Keep at it ! 😀 We know it works! 😀

• posted by Snoop
    on

Loss since I started: 1.9 kg
    30 kg to go.
    Sooner or later, the balance will tip in my favour! Meanwhile, I foresee a strange week ahead. Have been given two lots of pills for an infection that restrict the kind of food I can eat. No ‘excessive’ exercise allowed either, whatever excessive means. So a bad week as far as exercise is concerned, but maybe the restricted food will balance that out. Feel very tired all the time, but that’s probably normal for me on a cold, cloudy wintry day.
    Anyway, onward and downward. Need to go and get some of the famous logs in as rain has started.

on

Keep going Snoop, nice log fire, comfy chair, favourite piece of cake and nice milky coffee (Incert favourite dink) all week !!

Well, maybe not the cake !!

Hope the illness isnt ‘too severe’

Still have no logs here, but a man came to trim one of trees today so do have some ‘branches’ I could mess about with.

Weight loss:
    Its a strange thing
    I have a day of moderat loss, a day of moderate loss, another day of moderate loss then suddenly 2 pounds all at once then a day a moderate loss !!

(BUT there’s also the days of ‘stupid no reason gain’ !!!!)

On the note of stupid: Quorn:
    Finally decided ‘whats the point’ Im not veggie and dont enjoy the taste !!

• posted by Snoop
    on

I have to admit, I’ve never tried Quorn. I also don’t drink those yogurt drinks that are supposed to be so good for you but were synthesised from someone’s stomach juices way back when. Some food is just too plain weird.

Happy messing about with your branches, 54.

on

I’m now trying to work out just how many boiled eggs Ive had since starting all this !!

Must be a few

Has anyone read the FAST 800 ?

• posted by Birdy76
    on

🤣🤣🤣🤣. Your boiled egg comment made me laugh! Thank you 54. Is fast800 the one for non T2 people who want to try this WOE? If it is I haven’t but I think might though. Birdy💞🦜

• posted by sunshine-girl
    on

Birdy, I would say yes. Having read both books the Fast800 would probably kill me. After reading I decided to try to fast and ended up nearly unconscious, that was only a couple of weeks ago. The 8 Week BSD is the book for diabetics with more about. The Fast800 has the same basis but with added elements like fasting and time restricted eating which would not normally be part of the T2 safe lifestyle. I bought the BSD 8 Week book 3 years ago and swear by it. My daughter bought me the Fast800 in Feb for my birthday and it has nothing new for me except some of the recipes in the back.

• posted by Birdy76
    on

Oh my gosh sunshine! I was just told about the BSD one and that is the one I read even though I am not T2. My bloods were high at 6 but that is just below prediabetic as am led to believe. I am gradually working my way up in the fasting and the longest for me is 18hrs between meals. But I felt I could have gone for longer, but didn’t want to push it. My BG is now at 4.7 and it has not been below 5.6 for a long time, I bought myself a new BG testing kit as the one I had when I was pregnant 13 yrs ago had died. I don’t check everyday but I did check at the start and then this week and saw a great difference for the better. Thank you sunshine 💞🦜

on

Sorry, trying to do 2 things at the same time. should have said, … the 8 week book has more about diabetes and how it affects our lives, keeping safe etc. Also add, the good thing from the publication of the Fast800 is that she started reading the book she bought me and went and bought her own copy and is now a convert. Even though I was telling her for years that my diet works, she didn’t see it as being for her (none diabetic) needs. The Fast800 is more relevant – very clever of Dr M.

• posted by Birdy76
    on

Sorry sunshine who is she? Your mum maybe? Bless you trying to answer me and do other things would make me skip half a sentence too🤣❤️

on

Hi Birdy, I didn’t forget, just got timed out of the edit I was trying to do. My original answer was that the BSD 8 week book is better for diabetics. The Fast800 has used the same diet but with a different slant i.e. on losing weight, fasting and time restricted eating, which diabetics shouldn’t do. My half a sentence was that my daughter bought me the Fast800 for my birthday and, although it is not really suitable for me, it got her onto the diet. So, great.

• posted by Birdy76
    on

Morning sunshine that’s cool, and also great that your daughter decided to do this WOE too. I am loving all the ideas for herbs. I have used the small leafed basil before and it has a lovely intense taste. I just need to get my raised herb bed sorted noe and I can have a few more growing then. I usually buy the living pots from Sainsbury’s and the basil always flourish’s which is good as I love putting them into my salads. If I don’t have any then I usually buy the prepacked herb salad. 💞🦜

on

Life

So I started this thread way back in the day (3 years ago)

Followed the diet I came down from 22 stone to an ideal for me 12 stone (Lots of sweat and tears!!) and maintained (Yes i followed the book)

6 Months ago I had a life-threatening accident which left me a) In hospital for ages b) Very very depressed
    I now find myself no longer in the hospita,l not so depressed BUT

22stone 11 pounds!!! (Its that hospital food, not controlling my own diet and then being TOLD to eat to get strength etc etc

Good news, I was 23 stone 6 but Ive been being good !!

So out comes the diary and food log, the scales get a polish and I’m back at it

No longer 54andfatnomore, now 57andgoigfor it !!

Ill post most days even if it’s just for my sanity !!

• posted by Snoop
    on

Really sorry to hear about your accident and the repercussions, 54. That’s terrible news. Hope you’re fully mended now in every respect.

Me, I’ve been totally and utterly useless and for no good reason. Just more of the same. So really, it’s just my life now rather than an excuse to let things slide. I was going to restart today but would really love to have your company and anyone else’s. I weigh more than when I first started: 91. 6 kg (just weighed myself). I’m 60 this year. Being this heavy is hard on my knees and my back, as well as the more invisible stuff going on inside.

Here’s to a lighter tomorrow.

• posted by KazzUK
    on

Hi 54 and Snoop, you’re both still posting so that’s a big positive! 54 – so sorry to hear about your very serious accident and resulting time in hospital and having to eat those pesky refined carbs. You must have felt so frustrated once you were well enough to care about such things. You are already back on track though and you will feel miles better from now on. Snoop, same to you! Keep checking in and we will be here to cheer you on! 🙂 It’s good to see you both back!
    Kazzeexx

• posted by Julia18togo
    on

I’m in too. No excuses for me either just a change to a much more stressful job leading to excessive ‘comfort’ eating (a total misnomer as it is anything but a comfort to be 90 kg again!). 5 foot 8 and 45 yrs old – need to get back down to 70 something again (for those thinking that’s not low enough, if you saw my shoulders/man size wrists/feet I was always a 16 even when nothing extra on me.)
    Happy to offer any support I can and keep you company along the way, 54 and Snoop and others.
    The one thing I can say is I have stayed reasonably active but the extra weight doesn’t half get in the way of the jogging!
    Now to dust down those scales…..

• posted by Verano
    on

54, Snoop and Julia it’s good to ‘see’ you again!!! So sorry about the circumstances/reasons that have brought you back …… maybe …. it’s just called life! We all fall of the wagon now and again.
    Anyway, you know how much support there is here, you know this WOE works …. you are back in the right place ….. enjoy the journey!

• posted by Snoop
    on

Morning all. Good to have some fellow travellers. Thanks for the company.
    Had a fair day yesterday. Much more mindful about food, but still got some things to use up. Ordered myself a replacement podometer yesterday. Battery died on my old one. Replaced it but now can’t find the instructions on how to set it. Ridiculous. Anyway, backache permitting, I’ll be out more with the dogs, step counting or not.
    Setting myself a target loss of 30 kg and then see how I go. I have no clothes whatsoever for a me that weighs 30 kg less. I haven’t weighed that since I was 13.

on

Good morning

Really good to see people still plugging away out there (Keep going Snoop it will happen)

Alas I am a great believer in daily weighing. (Yes i know about water retention and weighs fluctuating etc etc but I find it brings me FOCUS. If Im on the scales then Im on the eating plan and being careful etc etc

so today I’ve lost 1/2 pound which I am very pleased about so now 22.10.5

have done no exercise yesterday as felt a bit stiff and then fell asleep !!
    Ive never had a Fitbit or anything similar. I remember counting steps in my head once as I walked for miles !!
    So all positive so far (apart from the exercise!!)
    It’s Bulgar Wheat Rissoto for Dinner so will have to dust off that Bulgar Wheat pack!!

• posted by Snoop
    on

Yes, I weigh every day too, 54. I supposedly lost 600 g yesterday. Doubtless nearly all of it water. Anyway, all very encouraging for today. Keeps me focused. What I do find tedious is weighing food. But I think it will be necessary, at least for a bit.

• posted by Julia18togo
    on

Daily check in! Sounds like Snoop and 54 you are doing well. As Verano says, sometimes life does indeed get in the way. But now to refocus ourselves… with a little help from the friends on here! And hopefully offer some support too where I can. Bad start as I forgot to weigh myself today although I too am a great believer in daily weighing. But I’ll weigh tomorrow morning. However, I walked to work and jogged back, sensible food choices too. (BIG PAT ON THE BACK – AVOIDED THE BAKING I MADE TO TAKE IN TO WORK!) and now just have a BSD friendly dinner waiting (I make the whole family eat the same but let them add carbs, they are heavy gym users and disgustingly slim!). My chicken and bean riceless burritos will have a chinese leaf in place of tortilla wrap.
    Re weighing – I also find this tedious but have many recipes saved on MFP so don’t need to weigh all the time except when making the batch which then is frozen in portions. I just give myself a cup or half cup measure of whatever is on the menu and I can log it that way.
    Very best wishes to one and all. As is said often on this thread, we are not giving up!

Please log in or register to post a reply.